Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Understood your scenario.

I am not implying people take on the role of police, but had the robbers known that another person was carrying a gun they would think twice before robbing.

Most people think of robbing innocent & weak victims. Not someone their own size or they know is packing like they are. They would think twice.

If i'm next to you carrying a CONCEALED weapon... how would you even know I had one in the first place?

I said Bloomberg thinks guns are bad. He despises them.

Understood your comment about people overseas.

I think guns should not be owned illegally, but through legal means. I agree guns should be in well trained hands but I also think individuals should be allowed to protect themselves with one as well.
How many of the shootings in the past decade were with guns obtained illegally?

If an intruder comes in your house at night and you had two choices between a gun and dialing 911 which would you pick?
just don't hit him with it or you'll get sued in america. Also, most robberies are unarmed(in the gun sense) so they break in and try to get out as fast as possible. If you were to get up and turn on a light and make some noise that would be enough to get most robbers to leave.
reply in bold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:14 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
How many of the shootings in the past decade were with guns obtained illegally?

How many shootings, or how many mass shootings? Because the majority of shootings happen with illegal guns. And that statistic is very unlikely to change if stricter guns laws are put into place.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
How many shootings, or how many mass shootings? Because the majority of shootings happen with illegal guns. And that statistic is very unlikely to change if stricter guns laws are put into place.
It's also very likely to go up if more lax gun laws were put into place.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post

But the big debate right now is stricter laws, not more lax...

Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Australia had pretty lax gun laws, but after several mass shootings and gun violence related killings, Australian society evolved and started to heavily regulate gun purchases.
Gun-related deaths, that is; accidental deaths, suicides and homicides have all declined in the double percentage digits.
What's more, ever since the ban on assult weapons and heavy regulation, Australia has not seen a single mass shooting.

Look around the world. No other highly civilized country in the world has this sick obsession with guns like America does. It's quite disturbing, IMO.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Was looking into getting a handgun permit today actually. $350 just for the application. Sheeeeeit...
MAN!
Here in Nevada...all you need is your drivers licence.
Pay the backround check fee---$25 if I remember correctly.
If it's your first gun you have to wait 72 hours.
Every gun from that point on, you walk in a store and walk out in less than 30 minutes--with your gun in hand

CCW took about 6 weeks and only cost $100.
This is a "Shall Issue" state---meaning, unlike NYC, you don't have to PROVE you "need" a firearm for protection.
When you pass the background check--they mail you your CCW.
No questions asked.

Sooooo glad I left Manhattan.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
MAN!
Here in Nevada...all you need is your drivers licence.
Pay the backround check fee---$25 if I remember correctly.
If it's your first gun you have to wait 72 hours.
Every gun from that point on, you walk in a store and walk out in less than 30 minutes--with your gun in hand

CCW took about 6 weeks and only cost $100.
This is a "Shall Issue" state---meaning, unlike NYC, you don't have to PROVE you "need" a firearm for protection.
When you pass the background check--they mail you your CCW.
No questions asked.

Sooooo glad I left Manhattan.
that's pretty much how it is in michigan too. I wonder how the process is in texas

Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
But the big debate right now is stricter laws, not more lax...
I know. i was just counteracting it. If you have too high of gun deaths, then taking out more guns would essentially reduce the amount of people dying.

Although, if you want something... when theres a will theres a way....
The Secret Online Weapons Store That'll Sell Anyone Anything

Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
So what was the point of the photos? Is this thread about our cops and anti-terror patrols shouldn't have guns?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM

As long as guns exist, there will always be a way to get your hands on one if you have ill intentions. Look at Mexico. They're illegal there, and parts of the country are basically experiencing the apocalypse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City