Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,774,511 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give a truthful evaluation of what it is like to live in Riverdale and be subway dependant.

Also, what is the subway like during non rush hour, particularly during the evening and late nights, as it travels through the bronx and upper Manhattan.

I've taken the "A" to Wash Heights once or twice, I did NOT appreciate the trip one bit! I doubt I'd appreciate the "1" train any better.

I am asking from a pure safety and people quality point of view. Do you always have to have the swiitch flipped to "Hard and Streetwise" or can you just relax?

If anyone is aware, how is it compared to the "N" traine in Astoria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM

35 posts, read 56,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Can anyone give a truthful evaluation of what it is like to live in Riverdale and be subway dependant.

Also, what is the subway like during non rush hour, particularly during the evening and late nights, as it travels through the bronx and upper Manhattan.

I've taken the "A" to Wash Heights once or twice, I did NOT appreciate the trip one bit! I doubt I'd appreciate the "1" train any better.

I am asking from a pure safety and people quality point of view. Do you always have to have the swiitch flipped to "Hard and Streetwise" or can you just relax?

You can take one of the 7th Avenue express trains to 96th street. From there the 1 train is local I believe all the way until the end of the line so it can be slow. The 1 line ends where Riverdale begins, so it is NOT any better than the A train. The desirable areas of Riverdale are NOT near the subway so keep this in mind. You would likely have to take one of the local buses to the subway if you do not want to use other available options.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM

33,331 posts, read 46,766,348 times
When I used to hang out in Riverdale I would sometimes take the BX20 to 207th Street on the A train instead of taking the BX10 or BX20 to the 1 train at 231st. Either way it wasn't a fun commute.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM

86 posts, read 246,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

I lived in Riverdale for almost 2 years without a car. I lived on Edgehill. Im female, in my 30s and from Ohio....im not hard or streetwise but I never had any problems in Riverdale....but were you serious with that question??? ITS RIVERDALE! I thought it was pretty safe. My roommates parked their cars on Johnson and their cars got broken into a couple times. There were a few times that I walked home from the train at around 2 or 3 am by myself after a night out in Manhattan. Thank God nothing ever happened to me. It wasnt the smartest thing to do but no one bothered me....231st was just so scary deserted. The center of Riverdale has some decent restaurants and stores....if I remember right there's a keyfood too. But I would actually do my shopping at the grocery store by the 1 train since it was more convenient to go there right after work. One time I decided I wanted to go play pool after work so I went to an Irish bar at 231st and Broadway. I went by myself and only stayed til about 9:00, I beat everyone I played pool with and had the table the whole time I was there. I was fine, no one bothered me. I did get some free drinks though The 1 train had some crazys, thats for sure. I had to take it all the way to Houston every day....and the commute sucked but luckily I almost always got a seat since its not too crowded during rush hour at 231st. It was fine riding the 1 late at night and in the evening. I wasnt on it too many times late at night though, so maybe someone else can tell you about that.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
I have family who own property in Riverdale, and the subway is the transportation option of last resort because it's not as convenient. During rush hours, when there are abundant city buses, it's less of an issue, overall, but off hours, it can be a hassle to wait for a bus or walk up the hill, especially in inclement weather. Walking, I would really stick with W231st and Riverdale Avenue, or Johnson, depending upon which side of the hill you need, and would never take a shortcut by the park, or on the stairs.

The express bus is favored if not headed directly to Midtown, and one doesn't want to drive, because you have the options of getting off at multiple locations closer to your destination. Metro-North is the second preferred option, though that's either driving to the station, or taking the Hudson Railink bus to/from, as opposed to walking, though for those in walking distance in Spuyten Duyvil apartments, Metro-North is an easy option. However, neither is 24-7, so that can limit options.

I would not relax on the 1 at night, far from it, though I do avoid the subway in favor of my own car or a car service, so I am not the best person to ask. When there are out-of-town guests staying at a relative's house in Riverdale, I tell them to err on the side of safety and take a medallion cab back to the house. It's never been an issue, save for one of my cousin's friends who got into a protracted argument with a cabbie, when she said that she needed to go to "The Bronx" at 2 am. My cousin called me on the phone, and asked me why there was such an issue, as she and her tenacious friend were in a battle of wills with a cabbie; and, told her that she did not listen to me when I said she was to tell the cabbie "Riverdale" and that they would pay tolls in both directions on the Henry Hudson Parkway -- making the trip pretty quick from Chelsea. The next cab they encountered was solicitous in short order.

Someone I know who takes the subway as it offers an easy commute, uses a car service to the suwbay, and from it, getting off at W225th at night, though the end of the line is closer to her house. She will not take the subway to the end of the line at night under any circumstances, and the car service drivers know her at W225th, such that she gets off the train and into a car, no waiting.

Relying on the subway alone, it could be tough to deal with Riverdale, since the express buses and Metro-North make trips so much easier to/from Manhattan, using public transportation.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,534,568 times
Plz its very safe. Don;t believe the hype. No matter where you are you have to be on guard. If you are walking from 242st on Broadway till Marble Hill Projects is pretty safe. The trains are safe, just a long commute.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 PM

35 posts, read 56,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I have family who own property in Riverdale, and the subway is the transportation option of last resort because it's not as convenient. During rush hours, when there are abundant city buses, it's less of an issue, overall, but off hours, it can be a hassle to wait for a bus or walk up the hill, especially in inclement weather. Walking, I would really stick with W231st and Riverdale Avenue, or Johnson, depending upon which side of the hill you need, and would never take a shortcut by the park, or on the stairs.

The express bus is favored if not headed directly to Midtown, and one doesn't want to drive, because you have the options of getting off at multiple locations closer to your destination. Metro-North is the second preferred option, though that's either driving to the station, or taking the Hudson Railink bus to/from, as opposed to walking, though for those in walking distance in Spuyten Duyvil apartments, Metro-North is an easy option. However, neither is 24-7, so that can limit options.

I would not relax on the 1 at night, far from it, though I do avoid the subway in favor of my own car or a car service, so I am not the best person to ask. When there are out-of-town guests staying at a relative's house in Riverdale, I tell them to err on the side of safety and take a medallion cab back to the house. It's never been an issue, save for one of my cousin's friends who got into a protracted argument with a cabbie, when she said that she needed to go to "The Bronx" at 2 am. My cousin called me on the phone, and asked me why there was such an issue, as she and her tenacious friend were in a battle of wills with a cabbie; and, told her that she did not listen to me when I said she was to tell the cabbie "Riverdale" and that they would pay tolls in both directions on the Henry Hudson Parkway -- making the trip pretty quick from Chelsea. The next cab they encountered was solicitous in short order.

Someone I know who takes the subway as it offers an easy commute, uses a car service to the suwbay, and from it, getting off at W225th at night, though the end of the line is closer to her house. She will not take the subway to the end of the line at night under any circumstances, and the car service drivers know her at W225th, such that she gets off the train and into a car, no waiting.

Relying on the subway alone, it could be tough to deal with Riverdale, since the express buses and Metro-North make trips so much easier to/from Manhattan, using public transportation.
Spot on with your assessment... Hopefully she is not referring to the section by Broadway because that is an entirely different commute.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Plz its very safe. Don;t believe the hype. No matter where you are you have to be on guard. If you are walking from 242st on Broadway till Marble Hill Projects is pretty safe. The trains are safe, just a long commute.
Yes, but the world looks different at night when you are a petite 5'2" lady getting off at the end of the line and traversing quiet, tree-lined streets. That's why my friend uses a car service, not because anything has happened, but because her street smarts tell her that she is a potential victim if she were to get off and walk to her house, by the park, and on dark streets. Even W231st is dead after all the shops close, such that it can be quiet getting off there -- not that it's a bad neighborhood, but there's no safety offered by a crowd of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3068 View Post
Spot on with your assessment... Hopefully she is not referring to the section by Broadway because that is an entirely different commute.
She is off Fieldston Road, hence why she opts to head down to the subway, instead of over to the HH Parkway for the bus, though the express bus would not facilitate her commute as it would require a switch to the subway in Manhattan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,672,593 times
Dave 927, Riverdale is a very safe and IMO the nicest part of the Bronx. What part of Riverdale are you in? You have North Riverdale is mostly comprised of single family or 2 family homes. Some coop apt building but most homes. This would be up towards Mosholu Ave and 250's. Central Riverdale which is around Johnson Ave. That's where most of the stores are. Comprised mainly of coop buildings and very tough area to park. Express bus is a main form of transportation. Also have rail link which drops you off at Spyten Metro north stop. You have west of the Parkway which is very expensive homes and coop buildings. This area is very tough to get to the subway. You express bus or city bus which runs along HH pkwy. If you live along Palisade Ave then you can just walk to the Metro north stop. You also have South Riverdale which is going south towards 228th and just before the bridge. IMO seems like a lot of people use one of the 2 stops of the Metro North train. Also has a direct express bus downtown during certain hours besides it's normal 2 express buses. 1 line on Broadway IMO is very slow.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,534,568 times
Bronx News Network: Search results for bronx crime

I wonder why the NYPD is hiding the stats? Filing a FOIL request for public info? Ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: