Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Two of my friends have PA non-resident handgun permits. Did you get one of those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
nope , you can't get one with a residence permit because your permit has to be valid in pa in order to get non resident. your residence permit is not valid once you leave the state or even the city so in effect you have no priviledges with your license to carry over to pa. .

pa mimics whatever you would be allowed on your new york license .

if you are leo or have a nys carry permit you can get non resident. residence permits get squat!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 AM

I'll have to ask my friends about that one. They aren't LEO's. I am not sure what NYC permits they have, but they definitely have PA and Florida handgun permits.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM

unless the issuer screwed up they should not have been issued non resident unless they had either :

a carry or a target hunting permit from nassau/suffolk or any other part of the state that still uses a restricted carry permit as a target hunting permit.

no residence permit qualifies in pa for a non resident permit.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Non-Resident Carry Permits in Pennsylvania

the non resident is for carry only since no permit is needed in pa to posses a handgun and shoot at ranges. only requirement is that your guns are legally held.

a 10 buck sportsman permit is all that is required to use it to handgun hunt along with a pa hunting license.

without some sort of carry permit from your homestate your out of luck as far as getting a non resident in pa...

bringing your guns across the border from nyc to pa makes your permit not valid and because of that not legally held. it is funny because you don't need a permit at all in pa but we can not legally bring our guns in .

Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 AM

409 posts, read 497,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
I'm impressed by your logic and rhetorical skills. So you are law enforcement then, Airborne? That's the only national carry provision. What agency?

You prefer not to discuss things and just fling insults. Don't challenge me in my terrority. Please inform us of how many people can get a home permit for a firearm and how easy it is with expenses, figures and rates. Why are there specialized firms to help folks navigate the NYC laws and rules?

Show us you have something besides a rant.

Oh, anecdotes vs. data. The data are clear that AWBs don't work. Please tell that to Gov. Cuomo. The Sandy Hook horror is used to generate new laws on an anecdotal basis as the criminological data clearly indicate that gun control laws have had no effect on gun crime. If you are law enforcement - did you read the studies in a class?
Here is a good in depth post about the NYC permitting process. In short, long guns and shotguns are WAYY easier to acquire than handguns.

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comment..._in_nyc_part_1

IMO, I'd rather gun laws be like this:

Regarding private sales, enact strict(er) liability, i.e., you as a seller must take reasonable steps to make sure the buyer is not a criminal, on the blacklist etc.

Obviously, allow private gun owners to the Federal Database that is currently available only to Gun Stores to allow the "above" suggestion to work.

The current ATF regulation of fully automatic weapons should stay in place.

DON'T reinstate the assault weapons ban, its just stupid and only bans "scary" looking weapons.
If you're look to reduce accidental gun deaths, require basic safety classes as a prerequisite to getting a gun license/permits.

Also, require permits for firearms ownership (common sense restrictions, relatively reasonable ease of acquisition), so at least criminals will have a hard time getting legal guns, but law - abiding owners still have access to equal the playing field.

I'm on the fence regarding CCW.

Also, affirmative proof of mental health/sanity (like Japan, go to a psychiatrist or mental health professional and get a clean bill of health before going to apply for your permit).

Point is, the less "legal" guns used in crimes, the better. Less blowback for people who want to be responsible gun owners.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM

interesting letter from nypd in regards to residence permits i had in my file
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NY City makes it illegal to carry a licensed handgun outside of NYC for any reason except hunting

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cpt. Roy Richter
One Police Plaza
New York, NY 10038

Dear Cpt. Richter:

I have two question.
First:
New York City has started only issuing a PREMISES LICENSE and your web site states:
Licensees may also transport their handguns and ammunition in SEPARATE LOCKED CONTAINERS, DIRECTLY to and from an authorized range, or hunting location. HANDGUNS MUST BE UNLOADED WHEN TRANSPORTING.
QUESTION 1: Is the new PREMISES LICENSE valid throughout New York State so that a person with a new PREMISES LICENSE can legally travel to public ranges or private clubs or land within the rest of New York State without being arrested or having his/her guns confiscated because they do not hold a valid license?

Second:
NY State Penal Law Section 400 contains the following:
6. License: validity. ... A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city.

QUESTION 2: How can someone from another county in New York State get a special permit that would allow them to carry a handgun to a range in NY City for practice or competition?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got the following reply:

The City of New York Police Department
License Division
One Police Plaza, Room 110
New York, NY 10038
(646) 610-5560

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx NY 10992

Dear Mr. xxxxx

Your letter to Captain Richter concerning premise handgun licenses has been referred to me for reply. In response to your first question regarding the validity of New York City premise licenses outside the City, please note that a premise license issued by the New York City Police Department is limited as to place of possession, and therefore would not be valid outside the licensed premises. There are two exceptions to this rule, however. A licensee may transport his licensed handgun unloaded, in a locked container with the ammunition carried separately while traveling to or from an authorized range or shooting club in New York City. The other exception covers New York City premise licenses with a hunting authorization. Those licensees may transport their licensed handgun to an authorized area designated by the New York State Fish and Wildlife law. Again, the handgun must be transported unloaded, in a locked container with the ammunition carried separately.
Regarding your second question, the New York City Police Department only issues special validations for business carry and carry guard/security licenses issued by counties outside of the City of New York. As the New York City Police Department no longer issues target licenses, it will not validate a target license issued by another county.
If you would like further information regarding this matter, you may contact either Sergeant Michael Marten or Sergeant Christopher Montagna of my staff. They can be reached at 646-610-5551.

Yours truly yours
Thomas M. Prasso
Director

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-13-2013 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM

My friend just got back to me. I was wring, he has a FL non-resident permit. In PA he only uses long guns.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM

see i know my stuff lol, i can't spell for crap but i seem to remember all this stuff well.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i had a 2nd home in the poconos with a state range down the road. we can not leave ny state with our permits hense i could not even shoot there.

the long and short of it is that because our permits are invalid out of state even though pa requires no permit for target shooting the guns have to be legally held. being our permits are invalid it makes them not legally held.
Gotta love these dumb little inconsistent rules.

In PA no permit or licensing is required to purchase or own a handgun. Registration isn't even required. So why would they care about out of staters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City