Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wait, not the first? Which one's the second? Anyhow, transplants make this city, pretty much always have.
Name your lists of Transplants that make NYC great vs Natives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Not transplants, but immigrants from other countries have made this city what it is. Well at least given this city what is so famous for.

You have to remember, not too long ago, everyone was pushing westward since colonial times. Well now that California has been saturated, I guess people have no where else to go.

Sooner or later people will be clamoring back into the rust belt cities due to global warming making the sunbelt to hot.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
And I understand that she has been here for 6 yrs, but moved here as a young adult. As an adult, that is not enough time to really say you rep that place. It may be your new home, but you certainly are not representative of that place.

I went to College in PA, and stayed for a few years, but I would not want to represent that state in anything. I already was what I was, and from where I was from by then.

If the woman had lived in NY for 6 years as a teenager, than I can understand. As a teenager you are easier to mold, and absorb what is around you, and go through life experiences that make you what you are. For this fully grown woman, I would say she needs to live her for probably 10 yrs, but by then she be too old for the pageant.

Actually I wonder how often this happens. Do pageants often run in different states to see if they get the nod if they cant win their own?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Not transplants, but immigrants from other countries have made this city what it is. Well at least given this city what is so famous for.

You have to remember, not too long ago, everyone was pushing westward since colonial times. Well now that California has been saturated, I guess people have no where else to go.

Sooner or later people will be clamoring back into the rust belt cities due to global warming making the sunbelt to hot.
I was being more inclusive with transplants (as in, people not originally from here), but it was the sort of domestic migration that also brought a lot of NYC what it is. The Carnegies, the Fricks, the Melons, the Morgans, the Rockefellers (though John D. was originally from upstate), and a lot of other wealthy philanthropists/businessmen, etc. were all transplants. Most of the people behind the rise of the New York modern art scene were transplants. Most of the notable new york punk scene and what came afterwards were transplants (with the Ramones being a large exception). NYC both attracts and develops a lot of talent.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Legally, she is a New Yorker. Culturally, she is not. At 18, she came here and went to a New York College. That's like any high school graduate going away to school out of state and then deciding to stay on for a couple of more years. Whether she came here from Alabama or Romania, she's a New York resident, but not a New Yorker.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
IMO, you should be born in the state that you are going to represent. I feel that the pageant was rigged for NY to win after the events of Hurricane Sandy.

That was my first thought too.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That was my first thought too.
Well if someone was brought to NY under the age of 6 (when one starts the first grade), I think you would also have to accept them as NYer even if they were born some place else.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
People are so full of "transplants" not being real new yorker. Please Ive been here 14 years and I know more about nyc and done more things here than my born and raised nyc friends (as some say real ny-ers). Before I phones they asked me for directions on the train, when they've been here 30-40 years. Point was cause they were born and raised never took advantage of learning about the whole city. Where you are born is not who you are. Where you choose to live and embrace as part of you/your life is.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM

26 posts, read 35,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
And I understand that she has been here for 6 yrs, but moved here as a young adult. As an adult, that is not enough time to really say you rep that place. It may be your new home, but you certainly are not representative of that place.

I went to College in PA, and stayed for a few years, but I would not want to represent that state in anything. I already was what I was, and from where I was from by then.

If the woman had lived in NY for 6 years as a teenager, than I can understand. As a teenager you are easier to mold, and absorb what is around you, and go through life experiences that make you what you are. For this fully grown woman, I would say she needs to live her for probably 10 yrs, but by then she be too old for the pageant.

Actually I wonder how often this happens. Do pageants often run in different states to see if they get the nod if they cant win their own?
Short answer: Yes, this can happen from time to time. More common these days are women that compete in the Miss America pageants, don't win there and then compete in the Miss USA system.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
She moved to New York and competed in the Miss America pageant. According to the Miss America people, she's a New Yorker. That's their call, not hers.

She certainly does not "look like a New Yorker" to me, at all, but I suppose we have all kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City