Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM

393 posts, read 782,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Right on. Except, I feel as far as the age goes in Astoria, it can really be for everyone and the main reason is that Astoria and Gantry State Park are very close by and people of all ages hang out there. To jog, exercise, picnic, hangout etc. In comparison to Williamsburg though, its definitely much more family oriented.

I'm mixed on Williamsburg. I really DO NOT like the area aesthetically at all. Its just so cramped, looks really dingy, dirty and just simply ugly, its not pleasing on the eyes to me at all. As for the parties and the bars though, I'll admit its definitely a ton of fun to be and hangout, depending if you're into that type of stuff. Its personally not my list of places I would want to live either, and you're right, the rents are horrible over there but your definitely in proximity to Manhattan and there's plenty of things happening in the area.
Agreed. To me Williamsburg is not aesthetically please at all either. Too much vinyl siding everywhere...so gross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamEntropy36 View Post
Yeah the parking thing is fully coming into view. I have found a garage for $200 a month in Brooklyn, but I'm still torn between Astoria and somewhere in Brooklyn preferably close to Manhattan.

Is $200 reasonable for a garage and are there cheaper in the area that you know of?
I would really think about ditching the car, but if you ABSOLUTELY must keep it, one thing you can do is look for a private home rental that comes with a spot. I don't think places like Brooklyn Heights would have too much of that, but there are definitely listings in Astoria for apartments in private homes that come with an optional use of a parking space for a reasonable price like $100-150. There are a lot of private homes here that are rented out. If you are already paying less here than you would in Brooklyn, then adding the parking price won't break your budget. Renting a parking spot on top of high rent is a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Quote:
Yeah the parking thing is fully coming into view. I have found a garage for $200 a month in Brooklyn, but I'm still torn between Astoria and somewhere in Brooklyn preferably close to Manhattan.

Is $200 reasonable for a garage and are there cheaper in the area that you know of?

*whispers in your ear and grins* "Astoria"

Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM

22 posts, read 45,327 times
Brooklyn has more to offer than Queens. It more diverse throughout and has night life, good restaurants, culture venues, etc...

Park Slope: this is a very safe, very educated part of town. Lots of families. Fantastic restaurants. Easy commute. Expensive. Not parking friendly.

Prospect Heights: consider this. Closer to Grand Army Plaza you will find young population. Lots of smart young energy. Still great bars and fantastic food. Compared to Park Slope this is 20% cheaper and even more cheaper if you move down eastern parkway, but its young and vibrant. Better for parking, still very safe.

Williamsburg: this is still it if you are young and looking for a city 24hr energy outside of the city. Artsy crowds non-stop, overpriced bars, but also cool vibe and some fantastic nooks and crannies you'll have to find on your own.

All of the above I recommend.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM

65 posts, read 239,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amda View Post
Brooklyn has more to offer than Queens. It more diverse throughout and has night life, good restaurants, culture venues, etc...

Park Slope: this is a very safe, very educated part of town. Lots of families. Fantastic restaurants. Easy commute. Expensive. Not parking friendly.

Prospect Heights: consider this. Closer to Grand Army Plaza you will find young population. Lots of smart young energy. Still great bars and fantastic food. Compared to Park Slope this is 20% cheaper and even more cheaper if you move down eastern parkway, but its young and vibrant. Better for parking, still very safe.

Williamsburg: this is still it if you are young and looking for a city 24hr energy outside of the city. Artsy crowds non-stop, overpriced bars, but also cool vibe and some fantastic nooks and crannies you'll have to find on your own.

All of the above I recommend.
Thanks I definitely want to be around a younger crowd and don't want to dodge strollers as I walk down the sidewalks. I need to look into Prospect Heights and I like Williamsburg, but I think the overload of wannabe artist and musicians would annoy me.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Quote:
Thanks I definitely want to be around a younger crowd and don't want to dodge strollers as I walk down the sidewalks. I need to look into Prospect Heights and I like Williamsburg, but I think the overload of wannabe artist and musicians would annoy me.
Williamsburg is huge, remember that when you're looking into it. Around Bedford it's not as much artsy as it is yuppie nowadays; the artists are all Graham or east for the most part. Prospect Heights is highly family-oriented and actively growing into one of Brooklyn's nicest neighborhoods, if not already. Very, very different dynamics and aesthetics.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Long Island City!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM

65 posts, read 239,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
*whispers in your ear and grins* "Astoria"
Yeah Astoria is calling my name, and I found another garage there that was $150 monthly but its not covered.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:26 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lital_the_best View Post
doh!! I totally forgot those spots. I love ps1 moma shame on me, and theres also 5 points (grafitti factory). Astoria isn't astounding archectually at all but its not ugly either. Its more of a "working class" area with basic houses and buildings with some nice bars, restaurants, museums thrown in.
r.i.p.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City