Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Most people think of US slavery in the southern context...
As far as this I think people's limited view of slavery in the U.S can come from Hollywood's portrayal of slavery. Hollywood as far as I know hasn't put out any movies dealing with northern slavery. If a movie is set in NYC in the 1700's it would need to have some slaves in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM

Has anyone visited this slave burial ground? I remember this being in the news a few years back.

NYC slave burial ground gets new visitor center - USATODAY.com

Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
As I mentioned earlier ,there were in fact northern plantations with house slaves,field slaves and slave quarters,just like down south.The one I linked to was on Long Island and it encompassed all of what is now Shelter Island... the whole Island ! One family owned it all.The family that owned it and lived there was in the Rum trade.The field slaves on Shelter Island harvested the trees on the island and made barrels which were shipped down to another plantation owned by the same family down in the islands where they made the rum.The barrels of rum were then shipped back to Europe( and all over the world) on ships owned by the same family and crewed by more slaves.It was a huge ,international slave dependent enterprise run from Shelter Island,NY.

I have also heard of other northern plantations in Rhode Island,Massachusetts and Connecticut. I think there were more northern plantations than most people think.
Hamilton Heights section of Harlem was the Hamilton Grange Plantation. This plantation was owned by Alexander Hamilton one of our Founding Fathers, and our First Secretary of the Treasury. He was also a racially mixed person born on the island of Nevis. His official portrait is rumored to be "whitenized".

Bradhurst Ave in Harlem runs north and is adjacent to the section that was Hamilton Grange Plantation. This Ave was part of the land owned by the Bradhurst family, consisting of the Bradhurst Plantation, and was adjacent to the Hamilton.

Across the Harlem river was Morris Plantation now the Mott Haven, Melrose, and Morrisania sections of the Bronx. The Morris family owned this land.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM

^

What are some of your sources for that info? Sounds interesting.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 AM
DAS

There is plenty of information on NYC from the time of the earliest European explorations to the 1800's when slavery was part of NYC. The NY Historical Society, and the Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture are 2 sources for much of early NY History concerning African Americans.

Most sources on the internet start with Harlem and the first wave of the Great Migration of Black people to Harlem from the south and the Caribbean in the late 1800's. But with most of Harlem being farm land and plantations prior to that, along with slavery not ending in NYC until about 20 years before slavery ended in the southern states, we know that Black people were in Harlem prior to the great migration. In fact some might conclude that the presence of Black people already there, created a certain comfort level to those from the South and the Caribbean that arrived in NYC during the Great Migration, to seek this section of the city out, and to move to it.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
As far as this I think people's limited view of slavery in the U.S can come from Hollywood's portrayal of slavery. Hollywood as far as I know hasn't put out any movies dealing with northern slavery. If a movie is set in NYC in the 1700's it would need to have some slaves in it.
Most people are aware of the ports around Norfolk Virginia, and Charleston, South Carolina as the places where most Slaves arrived. However the biggest US port for arriving slaves was Newport, Rhode Island. Much old money wealth in the New England states was created from the slave trade. More than any other place in the US. The wealth created in New England surpasses any amount created in the South from the slave trade.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
word

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Overtime NY slave population intergrated with blacks coming from the south, Caribbean and Latin America.
Out on LI they intermarried with Native Americans.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Has anyone visited this slave burial ground? I remember this being in the news a few years back.

NYC slave burial ground gets new visitor center - USATODAY.com
Go. It is well worth your time.

I visited this past Spring. It is both indoors and out. It is worth watching the movie to even better understand the slaves' experience in lower Manhattan. It helped me better understand the significant presence as well as impact they had on the developing colonies.

There are displays, charts, graphics, some interactive elements. You will learn about the individuals who were laid to rest there based upon forensics as well as the items which were buried with them.

Outdoors is a very interesting monument which makes the visitor stop and contemplate the journey the slaves were forced into. The remains which were removed are reinterred in several burial mounds adjacent to the monument.

One word of advice -- if you or anyone in your party is has psychic sensitivities, they may be overwhelmed. One friend witnessed several spirits -- most were docile, one was aggressive and chased her from a section built to look like waterfront dock.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One word of advice -- if you or anyone in your party is has psychic sensitivities, they may be overwhelmed. One friend witnessed several spirits -- most were docile, one was aggressive and chased her from a section built to look like waterfront dock.
Would you advise bringing a dousing rod?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City