Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 AM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times

Advertisements

Your young and your most valuable asset right now is your employable years !! Go for it.

Both cities have a huge tourism industry ( NYC is in for a record 2013 for tourists). now is the time to make "mistakes" and enjoy life.

My advise is focus on graduating and saving up your money for wherever you move. Research all you can to avoid surprises ( this forum is a HUGE resource ).

I won't repeat what others have said but . When your in school take advantage of your internship or externshp ps and try to get employed by one of the big chains( preferably a luxury hotel chain) that way when you are ready for the move you can transfer to NYC and have a job which is the hardest things these days.

Good luck !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
While New York is unclean, SF is a much dirtier city center.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM

24 posts, read 80,866 times
Thanks everyone!! All of your honest advice has given me lots to think about! I have been to SF and love it! I'm planning a trip to NYC in May and then after that will make my decision

Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM

393 posts, read 782,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keh06 View Post
Thanks everyone!! All of your honest advice has given me lots to think about! I have been to SF and love it! I'm planning a trip to NYC in May and then after that will make my decision
Make sure you venture out of the tourist areas when you come to get an idea of where you would live if you were to move here. If you are seriously considering moving to NYC and know how much you can afford, look at the average rents in different neighborhoods and check out the ones you can afford. A lot of tourists only visit areas that have average rents above 3,000 for smallish one bedrooms, and then make a decision to come to NY based on that, which is a huge mistake because that's not really the NYC they'll be living in.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
While New York is unclean, SF is a much dirtier city center.
The tenderloin, and the civic center have a bit of grime and undesirable folk- and West Coast bums trump all other bums for certain.

However for cleanliness, overall- even within city center, I'd rank NYC about a 2 out of 10, and SF probably a 7 or 8. There is no comparison.

MUNI, BART, the buildings, the streets, are not all littered with garbage.
Walk through any major road in Queens, or the Bronx or the major avenues of Manhattan or the subway, and all you see is litter and gum from 100 years ago.

Anything city operated in NYC shows a lack of pride and filth.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Wake up call

You are a grown ass woman and years go by fast. You are not in your 20s, you are in your mid 20s. Since you are 24, my guess is you went straight to grad school/back to school. You should seriously start thinking about your future if you plan on being independent. Especially if you choose NYC.

What you do in your early years sets the foundation for your future. Meaning, if you slack off or go on some stupid exploration world tour, it's hard to get back on your feet. Your focus should be working towards a career. That means leech off your parents and do some unpaid/paid internships. Unless you are going to an Ivy, idc what profession, no one will hire you if you have no relevant experience. That's the cold truth and yes getting those entry level jobs/internships is a catch-22.

Good luck

You make good points about thinking about her future. But dude, she is indeed in her twenties. Wtf are you talking about?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The tenderloin, and the civic center have a bit of grime and undesirable folk- and West Coast bums trump all other bums for certain.
Those places do not just "have a bit of grime". They are totally disgusting even by Bronx standards. Western addition, Hunters Point - those are just a few other SF places you wouldn't want to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: