U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 PM

1,434 posts, read 4,597,575 times

Advertisements

I enjoy going to the Gerritsen Beach neighborhood in Brooklyn. I love the narrow streets (except when I am blocked by a stopped car). I love the sense of community they have there. I love the view of the canal from the library. The houses there are attractive, and there is a sense that you are in a small village.

I don't think I'd want to be that close to the water, though. Nor would I want to be on landfill.

What are the demographics? I get the feeling that people are largely Irish working class. But I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,933,860 times
I thought the place was mostly German?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 PM

923 posts, read 2,476,809 times
I live in Gerritsen Beach.

The area is a mix of Italian and Irish. Russians are starting to move in, however.

Solid working-class types: transit workers, teachers, etc, most with kids. Tons of families. There is a definite sense of community here and it seems as if people look out for each other and each other's kids. Lots of block parties in the summer. The houses are only 5 feet from each other - so I guess you've gotta get to know your neighbors!

We've lived in "The Beach" for 11 months and really like it here. We have found the neighbors to be very friendly, down-to-earth people.

Arel, don't you live in Marine Park? We actually prefer the type of housing in Marine Park to Gerritsen Beach's.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:06 AM

Not quite Marine Park. The realtors now call my neighborhood Madison. If you're from the area you know where it is. If you're not, "Madison" is just west of Marine Park, just north of Sheepshead Bay, just south of Midwood and just east of, I think (but am not sure) Homecrest.

I used to think my neighborhood was Flatbush, but then I realized that Flatbush was where Erasmus High School is, up near Crown Heights.

But when that deli guy on Ave R and Nostrand was murdered last year, they referred to the neighborhood as Marine Park.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 AM

The NY Daily News did an update on that "home invasion" in Gerritsen Beach. Turns out it was not a home invasion at all. Everyone seemed to know from the beginning that this wasn't random violence.

The victim's husband is a lawyer who does criminal defense and immigration work and it was apparently a disgruntled client.

Whole story is here:
Woman, 61, beaten by masked man on her kitchen floor

Old 10-20-2007, 11:22 PM

That home invasion was suspected from the beginning to be non-random. That makes me feel a little safer, although I feel bad for the victims.

Does such closeness to the water cause any problems? What about home insurance rates, flood insurance rates, etc.?

What do you think will happen to the sense of community as immigrants move in? Are the Russians accepted? Do any people of color live there? I read once that there was a racially motivated attack on some black kids who were there, but that the attack was stopped by a local.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 PM

We don't own a home here. We're currently renting, so I don't have any knowledge about insurance rates.

I understand that flood insurance is very expensive everywhere, because flooding is the most common cause of property claims. You don't need a natural disaster to cause a flood claim - a burst pipe can be the cause.

The "core" of Gerritsen Beach is the area of narrow streets on the peninsula of land bounded by Gerritsen Ave. on the East, Shell Bank Creek on the West, and Allen Street on the north, but the neighborhood actually extends into the area north of this core up to Avenue U, with Knapp St. considered the Western boundary. West of Knapp St. is considered Sheepshead Bay.

In this "core" you find single-family, wood-frame homes very close together on small lots. This is a very white area. There are very few if any people of color living there.

The northern area, north of Allen Ave., is more diverse. There are co-op buildings on Burnett St, Gerritsen Ave and Plumb 1st St.

You probably already know that native Brooklynites are generally not too fond of Russians, but I have no knowledge of any outward hostility towards them in the area. My experience is that Russians generally keep to themselves and their own social networks, so a critical mass of them could start to break down the current sense of community, but I suspect it will always be there.

While this is a low-crime area, the crime that does occur is mostly committed by local idiot teenagers. The 2006 racial incident was committed by local teens. A lot of the households in the neighborhood have teenage children. We're about to spend our first Halloween in the neighborhood, and I've heard the local teens can be pretty wild on that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City