Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's why I said that newcomers to this neighborhood would be people more established in their careers or work.

Kids who just moved here can't really afford to buy a home (unless they have super wealthy parents buying it) and the frame of mind is different.

In terms of stores coming to the North Bronx, you already have the major drug stores and nice grocery stores like Pioneer and Foodtown.

I think areas are said to have "gentrified" more when they get Starbucks and Whole Foods. Starbucks is in Harlem, as is Whole Foods. Harlem still has lots of people of color, but more chains have come there and that is nice.

I wouldn't mind it if the Bronx got to the point where we got Trader Joes and Whole Foods. This will take awhile obviously. But slowly but surely it will happen. Brooklyn now is getting two Whole Foods.
There is already a Fairway so close it's practically in Baychester.I'd be willing to bet there will be a Trader Joes or Whole Foods in the expanded Baychester Plaza when it's finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
who's going to buy some old, overpriced, working
class house in the suburban part of the city? you'd
be better off if you bought one of those 20 years
ago rather than now.
I just looked at the rental listings in craigslist and assuming that they are in the same area as quoted in NYT, it looks like renting there is very good value.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
who's going to buy some old, overpriced, working
class house in the suburban part of the city? you'd
be better off if you bought one of those 20 years
ago rather than now.
That's what everyone said 20 years ago. ......and 20 years before that.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I would be absolutely shocked if a whole foods opened in the new Bay Plaza mall...however I would not be if a trader joes opened. There is one opening off the Deegan in the old Stella D'Oro factory.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would be absolutely shocked if a whole foods opened in the new Bay Plaza mall...however I would not be if a trader joes opened. There is one opening off the Deegan in the old Stella D'Oro factory.
I wouldn't be shocked at either.The other side of the "street" is Pelham Manor and New Rochelle, which is why Fairway opened on Boston Road.If someone offers them a sweet enough lease they'll open.Either would have more of a base to draw on in Bay Plaza than in the Stella D'oro factory.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
There is room for both up there.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That's what everyone said 20 years ago. ......and 20 years before that.
Yes and there are many Manhattan couples living in "gentrified" areas that are checking out Westchester County but cannot afford it for ownership or rentals. They will move to surburban areas of the city to have space to raise a family. Most will not ride the subway but will ride express buses, or transfer their work closer to home.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's why I said that newcomers to this neighborhood would be people more established in their careers or work.

Kids who just moved here can't really afford to buy a home (unless they have super wealthy parents buying it) and the frame of mind is different.

In terms of stores coming to the North Bronx, you already have the major drug stores and nice grocery stores like Pioneer and Foodtown.

I think areas are said to have "gentrified" more when they get Starbucks and Whole Foods. Starbucks is in Harlem, as is Whole Foods. Harlem still has lots of people of color, but more chains have come there and that is nice.

I wouldn't mind it if the Bronx got to the point where we got Trader Joes and Whole Foods. This will take awhile obviously. But slowly but surely it will happen. Brooklyn now is getting two Whole Foods.
The Manhattanites that are trading their studios and one bedrooms to start families are young but not kids, and are established in their careers. Careers that reflect the ones of the residents already living in Baychester. These people are priced out of Manhattan and they are of all racial and ethnic groups, and they are discovering that there is life outside of Manhattan. Especially those that are gearing up for a lifestyle of raising a family without starving to death, even on a good salary.

Gentrified in Harlem, other similiar neighborhoods has really come to mean just what you are stating in this post, the choices of Trader Joes, and Whole foods, as well as a BJ's and Costco's. It won't take that much time either.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The Manhattanites that are trading their studios and one bedrooms to start families are young but not kids, and are established in their careers. Careers that reflect the ones of the residents already living in Baychester. These people are priced out of Manhattan and they are of all racial and ethnic groups, and they are discovering that there is life outside of Manhattan. Especially those that are gearing up for a lifestyle of raising a family without starving to death, even on a good salary.

Gentrified in Harlem, other similiar neighborhoods has really come to mean just what you are stating in this post, the choices of Trader Joes, and Whole foods, as well as a BJ's and Costco's. It won't take that much time either.
Yes. Gentrification means you also have additional services like gyms with pools. There aren't that many in the Bronx yet, but in the past 10 years a lot more YMCA's with swimming pools have opened up in Brooklyn and Queens. (two are under construction in Coney Island and the Rockaways). Those will be coming to the Bronx in the not two distant future. Basically, as more of the people you mention discover the Bronx (added to the established middle class people already here) organizations like YMCA and NYC Recreation Centers will take notice and build up facilities. And of course the stores we mentioned will come.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I will politely disagree that it would not be surprising to see a Whole Foods open in the new Bay Plaza mall. I just don't see it happening, the same reason Fairway opened just outside of the Bronx is the same reason Whole Foods would open just outside of the Bronx (Not in the Bay Plaza mall): Money and demographics. As soon as you cross the boarder into Westchester, the cost of business drops signficantly, and the HH income increases dramatically..so why open in the Bronx when you can justify it in Westchester AND still serve many Bronx residents also?

Trader Joes..sure...Whole Foods? NOPE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City