Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Please don't misquote me... I do remember the conversation but while I do not remember what I said exactly, I know it wasn't that... That being said, I do feel that the way they gauge crime statistics across the board whether in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, etc. is a little off... This cite has become super sensitive in recent months though so out of fear of starting another pointless debate about compstat i'll just leave it at that...
Actually it wasn't you, it was JayJay718 now that I look back at the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
Like say 7 people are shot.That would count as 7 incidents even if they were related.But,in NYC if 7 people are shot and it is related it counts as 1 incident.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/26711385-post536.html

So if it does work that way, then that's probably the answer the OP was wondering about. In the past that would have been 7 separate homicides, but now it's just considered 1 "incident". That greatly skews statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
^-NYC tallies each and every homicide individually. There is no denying that statistically the Bronx has a lower murder rate then most large US, however...

•With all that density, there is definitely more murders (and crime period) per sq mile in the Bronx then most large US cities.

•Which gives the perception of a crime ridden area.

•With higher rates of crime per sq murder per sq mile, does this this actually increase your odds of getting involved?

•What are the stranger on stranger murder rates?

The Bronx has come a long way, but it's definitely a busier place crime wise then most.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
If 7 people are shot by one person, they're tallied as one shooting incident and seven shooting victims.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I saw this article and I found it interesting, but it is disingenuous to state that because murder rate is lower for 1 or 2 years vs Boston (proper), that the Bronx is "safer" than Boston. Yes there is a lower murder rate, but it is 1 category...there are several others which I think are just as important and where the Bronx underperforms vs Boston.

However, I contend that "gentrification" is NOT occuring in the Bronx, which by definition is a displacement of existing residents....it ain't happening. The newer residents are professionals, higher income than existing residents, and oftentimes from outside the borough, which is 1/2 of the definition of gentrification. BUT, they are moreso moving into new developments on vacant / underutilized properties (like converted retail or wharehouses), and not existing residential properties.

So what is really happening in places like the Southern Bronx? Newbies of all colors, sexual orientations, professions, and income ranges, are moving into the new working/middle class developments, and living among the lower class. There is no displacement of existing residents, however there is a general exodus of the "old guard" (PRs and Blacks) due to movement up the economic ladder and out to other areas of the country (Atlanta/PA/FL) and a movement into the community by new immigrants (Mexicans/Central Americans/Dominicans).

The net effect is that the existing housing stock (excluding the housing projects) is changing over to an immigrant community, while the working/middle class residents from the Bronx as well as across the city are moving into the new rental/co-op/condo developments, and amenities are quickly entering to serve the new populations.

This isn't gentrification, it is simply a revitalization. I am glad to see it and so are the residents of the Bronx, particularly Southern Bronx.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
^-People are slowly getting displaced from the Bronx, mostly the lowest income individuals. I don't see any new constructions with income guidelines: below poverty. Gentrification doesn't always mean displacement though. The Lower East Side SPURA project for example will bring higher income earners into a lower income census tract (NYCHA and Mitchell Lama) without displacement (those nearby units are rent controlled). Still gentrifying that area (Best example I could think of right now). In most cases however, some people are displaced as the property becomes more desirable, therefore more expensive.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Yes I am sure SOME people are getting displaced, but the reality is that it is inconsequential. The real changes are from 1. The new working/middle class developments bringing in higher income residents, and 2. The PRs and Blacks moving up and out, and being replaced with new immigrants Hispanic immigrants (Mexicans/Central Americans/Dominicans).

This is a normal, and long overdue change-up in the neighborhood.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
there is a lower murder rate, but it is 1 category...there are several others which I think are just as important and where the Bronx underperforms vs Boston.
Bronx population 1,385,000.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cspbbx.pdf
scroll down for 2012 stats. 10,000 violent crimes, 10,000 property crimes

Boston population 625,000, less than half of the Bx.
http://www.bpdnews.com/wordpress/wp-...er-31-2012.pdf
5,000 violent crimes, 17,500 property crimes.

So, in Boston, violent crime is slightly higher, property crime is far higher.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
I noted a few months ago that the Bronx has a lower murder rate than Essex County, NJ as a whole (Essex includes Newark but also a lot of suburban towns). Maybe there's just few people left worth killing in the Bronx?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
yeah , in new york "he needed killin" is a valid defense.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
the Bronx has a lower murder rate than Essex County, NJ
NJ had 374 homicides in 2012, compared with NYC's 414, for similar populations:
N.J.'s homicide total dips for first time since 2009 | NJ.com
Essex County had 115 homicides, 92 of which occurred in Newark:
http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_im...cce970f29c.jpg
"In Newark, ... the number remained the same at 92 from 2011 to 2012"
"in Jersey City ... the 13 homicides ... last year were the lowest annual total since 1990."
Newark (277,000) has only slightly more people than JC (250,000).
Most of Newark's murders occur in its Central, West & South Wards, a few in the North Ward, hardly any in the East Ward. Click on the map:
http://www.nj.com/news/murder/
There are a lot of unsolved or unsuccesful prosecutions:
http://www.starledger.com/str/homicide/MURDER.pdf

Last edited by bigjake54; 01-27-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City