Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM

5 posts, read 6,770 times

Advertisements

Hey folks

I'm a mostly working-from-home professional that thinks of moving to NYC. I understand that means paying NYS+NYC taxes. I've been thinking of how to reduce my tax liability , legally .

Some of the ideas I found were : Live n NJ and pay no NYC taxes

Since I travel sometimes , is it possible to claim myself as non-resident incomtax payer ? it's six months per year to be considered resident , right ?

Any ideas about that ? I don't work for anyone in NYC , I just rather want to live there temporarily for the experience and who knows , maybe find a better chance ?

I'm also curious about this residency audit ? how strict they are ? what kind of info they track ? How can they track someone who's subletting or living with a friend or off the records ?

Don't worry , my employer deducts my taxes so I'll have to pay them anyhow

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Make sure you pay rent or a mortgage in another state, have voter registration in another state, and have a driver's license in another state. Pay your estimated federal taxes with your out-of-state address. Make sure you pay your state taxes to your claimed state of residence.

The law says that if you are a part time resident you must prorate your tax liability among taxing entities so you are your own best judge of how you want to handle that.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM

106,667 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the law also says it is insurance fraud if you do not insure your car where it is garaged most of the time. i would have loved to pay all the bills i could out of our PA house but not only is it insurance fraud but it can be tax fraud.

i really wanted a pa drivers license so i would not have to pay non resident fees for hunting and fishing licenses there for my wife and i. they were a few hundred a year...

could not do the drivers license without the regi and couldn't do the regi without comitting insurance fraud.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-27-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
They watch you like a hawk and keep tabs on your air travel,toll passes,etc.

I have friends who tried to claim Florida residency but were taken down by NY State.The penalties and interest were worse than the tax.I know someone else who went through the same thing and is now very careful not to set foot in NY State for more than 30 days a year.

The whole game is stupid if you ask me.If you want to live in NY, pay the price.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
As long as you spend less than 184 days in the state, you're not a resident. If you spend 184 days or more in the state and maintain a "permanent place of abode" (which renting a place would count as), you're a resident.

You could get away with an off-the-books place, but you'd have to maintain a residency elsewhere. Seems to me that's likely to cost more than the taxes.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM

not quite, under 6 months you are still a resident but you are not a primary resident. folks get confused all the time between being a resident and primary residency.. they are very different .

just by owning property in pa i was a resident. but because it was not my primary residence for at least 183 days as well as was my base for lmost of my functions it was not my primary.

for most benefits like auto insurance and taxes you need to have it as your primary residence .

you can be a resident of ny just by stating you intend to live here and have an address and you can get a drivers license . but until you are here 183 days or so you can not call it your primary residence unless the rest of your time is split up among other states.

you may have to prove other criteria too.

here is a little summary

http://www.brintoneaton.com/wp-conte...DENCE-_2_-.pdf

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-27-2013 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not quite, under 6 months you are still a resident but you are not a primary resident. folks get confused all the time between being a resident and primary residency.. they are very different .
We're talking about residency for tax purposes, which is the 184 days thing. There are other definitions of residency but they're not what's at issue.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM

i agree that is what i was referring to also. but you do have to becareful of terms.

anyone who owns property in a state is a resident, you can have multiple residences as well.

but you can only have one primary residence..

Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They watch you like a hawk and keep tabs on your air travel,toll passes,etc.

I have friends who tried to claim Florida residency but were taken down by NY State.The penalties and interest were worse than the tax.I know someone else who went through the same thing and is now very careful not to set foot in NY State for more than 30 days a year.

The whole game is stupid if you ask me.If you want to live in NY, pay the price.
This is true. I know half a dozen people who were aggressively audited by NYS - and they legitimately did not live here for more than a few months a year, if that. None came out well. People basically gave up and just paid.

Since the state is broke I would think it is far worse now.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 6,770 times
Thanks everyone for replying

It looks like it's a nightmare and I read everywhere that NYS is the worst when it comes to auditing

Few notes

- I've DL in another state

- I own no car and I don't want to so no insurance ...etc

Suppose I travel abroad for sometime , few months , can I get away without those ? I know tax are on world income but even the city ?

I may try to pursue my employer to have a pump in pay to offset the extra taxes , my move may be helpful for them

appreciate the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City