Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 PM

9 posts, read 27,932 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I may be moving to the NYC/NJ area for a job in Franklin Lakes, NJ. I really want to live in Manhattan for at least the first year. I know that UWS would be closest commute-wise. Is the commute so bad that I shouldn't consider anywhere else? About how long would it be? I've heard that it is best to live in the 76th to 100th range, not over 100. Is that accurate? If I need to rent a parking space in a garage for my commute, what will that run me? In case it's relevant, I'm early 30s single female. Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
So you're planning to drive out of NYC every day, head halfway across Jersey, and then head back IN every night?

I suggest you take a look at the GWB traffic inbound on a Friday evening before you make any committments.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM

Where do I find that info? I see the travel times on Google maps but I know it would be quite different at rush hour, even the reverse commute, but I haven't found any online calculators or anything. Truth be told, I don't have a real sense of how long it takes at rush hour.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 PM

Also, I just read that Holland Tunnel is better than GWB for the reverse commute. Is that true? Meaning I'd be better off not livng in UWS? UWS isn't my first choice, I'd be doing it for commuting reasons so it would be good to know if I didn't have to.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 PM

402 posts, read 811,177 times
SImple solution to your problem: Google maps from Point A to Point B at X time of the day, do that for a few weeks and average it out.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,787 times
It's all so hit or miss. Is your job flexible with your hours? If you were able to work something like 7-3 instead of 9-5 you could make it work. As long as you are out of the city by 6:30 at the latest traffic shouldn't be a huge problem. Unless of course there is an accident on one of the bridges/tunnels and then you are literally screwed. I would guess that if you were leaving later (i.e. for a 9-5 type of schedule) you could expect your commute to be around an hour each way between traffic in the city, traffic on the bridge, and then traffic on the NJ highways outside of the city. I think the GW is probably your best bet because it gets you onto the highway pretty quickly on the other side. The Holland tunnel leads you through a maze of off/on ramps before you get to the highway. Although I will admit I've found the area much easier to navigate since they redid the whole thing this year.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:57 AM

I'd probably be looking at 8 or 8:30 to 5 or 6. My hope/expectation is that I'd be looking at 40 or 45 minutes in the morning and probably closer to an hour coming home. I've read it takes less time in the morning than at night though I'm not clear on why that would be unless there is an accident or a game or something. I was also thinking of delaying my return time by going to the gym or something in the evenings. Is leaving an hour or so later going to make a difference or is it all gridlock all the time (NYC traffic has quite a reputation!)? I want to make sure I'm not kidding myself about my commute.

So agreed I should live in UWS then? Google maps seems to take me up to GWB even if I live in the Village or Tribeca or something.

Thank you all so much for your help! There's no substitute for locals with actual experience in the area.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 PM

23 posts, read 48,727 times
Hey 8709 - Where did you end up?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM

402 posts, read 811,177 times
Your doing a reverse commute so it shouldn't be terrible, Its only a 30 minute Drive to Franklin Lakes from GW Bridge, so the further North in Manhattan you'd be avoiding lots of gridlock downtown. I don't see it averaging more than 1 hr driving each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City