Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you describe SI?
Staten Island great place to live and raise a family. 11 39.29%
Staten Island not great but not bad. 12 42.86%
Love SI. 3 10.71%
Would stay in LI. 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM

22 posts, read 47,762 times

Advertisements

I'm Italian, living most of my life between Long Island and South Florida, I find myself moving to SI in the next 12 months (was planning on Jersey, but was talked off my mother, LOL). I'm looking to move to SI but I'm not too familiar with the neighborhoods/towns. I'm 28, married and have 2 year old. I've heard good things about Great Kills, Rossville, but would like more info on other towns as well.

Looking for:
1. House price range up to $650k
2. Italian neighborhood preferably
3. Good schools
4. Nice shopping areas, community events, family oriented, etc
5. Overall a good place to live

Any and all replies are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,510 times
What part of Italy are you from? I know their are many American's of Italian decent on SI but I have yet to hear anyone speaking Italian over there. You might feel isolated. If you are looking for a very Quiet neighborhood I Would suggest Tottenville. If you want more stores in walking distance as well as the ferry to get in to Manhattan close by I would suggest Ft George.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Staten Island is nice, but why not broaden your search to Queens. Bayside, Whitestone, Middle Village, Utopia, Oakland Gardens, and Astoria all have healthy Italian communites and good schools/very low crime. We need more Italians in Queens.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Well, Italian-Americans (not really actual Italians directly from Italy) are all over Staten Island. Even a lot of SI neighborhoods that are mostly Black and/or Hispanic usually have a sizable amount of Italian-Americans who haven't left yet.

For good schools, well, basically any area south of the SIE would have good schools. North of the expressway, well, it varies. You have to consider that some schools get an bad reputation that's based on rumors, which aren't true. (For instance, there are tons of people who believe my high school has metal detectors set up every day, and there are tons of fights and everything, when in reality, I only recall maybe one or two fights in three and-a-half years of going there).

Generally, the further south you go, the more suburban and spread-out it becomes. Community events are in a lot of SI neighborhoods, but would you prefer to walk to them or drive to them?

BTW, to the poster who mentioned the area near the ferry, it's Saint George, not Fort George.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM

71 posts, read 152,767 times
maybe reconsider Jersey lol

Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Thank you for your posts. Keep them coming.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Well, Italian-Americans (not really actual Italians directly from Italy) are all over Staten Island. Even a lot of SI neighborhoods that are mostly Black and/or Hispanic usually have a sizable amount of Italian-Americans who haven't left yet.

For good schools, well, basically any area south of the SIE would have good schools. North of the expressway, well, it varies. You have to consider that some schools get an bad reputation that's based on rumors, which aren't true. (For instance, there are tons of people who believe my high school has metal detectors set up every day, and there are tons of fights and everything, when in reality, I only recall maybe one or two fights in three and-a-half years of going there).

Generally, the further south you go, the more suburban and spread-out it becomes. Community events are in a lot of SI neighborhoods, but would you prefer to walk to them or drive to them?

BTW, to the poster who mentioned the area near the ferry, it's Saint George, not Fort George.
Driving would be ok. I was thinking Tottenville or Todt Hill as possibilities?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,360 times
I love Staten Island

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepaul View Post
Driving would be ok. I was thinking Tottenville or Todt Hill as possibilities?
Well, Todt Hill is a wealthy area, so I don't think you could afford it (and it's probably not close-knit with community events). Tottenville is nice, though (and it's fairly walkable).

Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM

650 posts, read 701,786 times
New Dorp is ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City