Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times

Advertisements

If interested in a 2br $1350 on the brooklyn college 2/5 train stop send me a message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
I will say Franklin between Atlantic and Eastern has gotten really nice and I would definitely suggest the area around that street, but at the same time the rents are going up in that area because of this fact so it still might be a tough area for you to look in.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I will say Franklin between Atlantic and Eastern has gotten really nice and I would definitely suggest the area around that street, but at the same time the rents are going up in that area because of this fact so it still might be a tough area for you to look in.
Yeah that area is definitely changing. Lots of nice shops and new businesses opening up.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 PM

22 posts, read 46,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well the closer you are to the city the more you will pay, that's all.
Touché.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM

God, I'd love to live in the Franklin Ave area of Crown Heights. So cute and right off trains that go to my school. Le sigh.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohtheusual View Post
God, I'd love to live in the Franklin Ave area of Crown Heights. So cute and right off trains that go to my school. Le sigh.
I know and to think just 10 years ago people would of looked at you like you are crazy and 5 years ago people would of looked at you like "why?" It is amazing how fast this city can change.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
If Union Square and Brooklyn College are your chief destinations, then definitely the Ditmas Park or Prospect-Lefferts Park areas are your best bet for something affordable and fairly nice. It also helps to like West Indian food.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohtheusual View Post

I'm blathering. Here's my question... How Far East can we go in Bed Stuy? Throop, Malcolm X? And in Crown Heights...? I've been told to stay west of New York Ave. safety, QOL, etc etc
Actually, the land marked area of Stuyvesant Heights is east of NY Ave and it's nice- complete with its own strip of restaurants, wine stores, coffee shops and bars on Lewis and Marcus Garvey. What a lot of people (and I mean the white ones- sorry, had to go there) don't see is that there are a lot of gentrifiers in that area it's just that they are black. To speak the truth, non-blacks often only see color as the mark of social/economic status and would just as soon clutch a their purse if a black man walks by in a suit as they would if he was wearing a hoodie and baggy jeans. Great side story of how the son of Earl Graves (he's a multi millionaire and publisher of Black Enterprise) was in a supermarket in Scarsdale wearing a full on expensive tuxedo. He was there to pick up a last minute item for a dinner party. A white lady walked up to him and started asking him questions as if he worked there

In any regard, the nicer, safer areas of Bed Stuy would probably be out of that price range you're looking for- yes, it's come to that.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM

I seriously feel like a month or two ago, bed stuy was affordable for us. Woof! Good to know about Marcus Garvey & Lewis. I see what you mean about people seeing color first...I personally see crackhead twitching/creepy dudes first. I definitely get spooked by Polish thugs all the time in my hood, and those dudes are lily white! Funny story about earl graves though.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If Union Square and Brooklyn College are your chief destinations, then definitely the Ditmas Park or Prospect-Lefferts Park areas are your best bet for something affordable and fairly nice. It also helps to like West Indian food.
I had a Trinidadian-American roommate my freshman year of college who lived in ditmas. Used to steal her moms roti all the time! Yeah, we are looking at like six or seven places there this weekend!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City