Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

Best bet is to keep your kids as far away as possible from people with this type of mindset. That's our plan at least. Political correctness aside, it's pretty easy to identify those whose children your own need to be kept away from. Race has nothing to do with it, although I know how my post will be read. I also know that saying its not about race means nothing to those who will always believe views like mine are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
I'm putting my kid in karate class when he gets a little older. My wife and I won't be around him 24 hours a day and he's gonna have to know how to defend himself.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
That word, "parents." That's the point.

What I saw in what are termed "underperforming" schools: The mother would openly tell the child that everyone was against him, that he was a "good boy," that he had done nothing wrong.
In fairness, there are parents in private schools who also condone acts of bullying/harassment of their own kids. Such is the case in our private school. That's why the ultimate responsibility to enforce anti-bullying lies with the faculty and administration. Some parents just don't get it and they can't be reasoned out with so the leadership needs to put its foot on the ground. I don't care if their kids are a mess as long as they don't mess with other kids who mind their own business like my own.

With public schools, I noticed that employees seem to be hesitant to confront bullying with force. The usual complaint I hear from affected parents is that PS teachers have this "It's not my job" or "Can't do anything with what happens outside school" attitude.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm putting my kid in karate class when he gets a little older. My wife and I won't be around him 24 hours a day and he's gonna have to know how to defend himself.
I agree with you on this!

Hopefully your kid will see this as an opportunity to learn self defense, confidence and a chance to get a good workout.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
The school should have handled it? Who's to say they hadn't tried, as this seemed an ongoing problem. Apparently the victims folks were suppose to meet with the brats parents. So perhaps the school was just sick and tired of dealing with this kids behavioral problems. The cops said they could not let him stay in the room unsupervised nor did they have the personnel to baby sit the brat. I wonder how soon the mom was called and when she finally got there. The cops said they gave the little bully pizza and mommy saw her innocent little boy. So too bad, why don't the parents deal with their brat kid instead of looking for someone else to blame for the problem. The brat caused the problem. This probably won't be the last time he is handcuffed in a jail. I do hope the victims parents sue the brats parents for emotional stress and pain. The brats parents are just hoping to get rich off of this. And I bet their little darling will not change a bit.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
It works in private schools. If the public school can't handle it then let the cops do it. As long as someone in a position of authority does it. What's important is that the victims get justice.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Why should the school be involved in mediating a reported crime that occurred off school property? The arrest was precipitated by the allegation that there was a robbery while the victim was walking home from school. This wasn't a schoolyard antic, in the least, and if there was a pattern of repeated bullying, I am not surprised that the authorities were called in this case. He was arrested at school, but the police can arrest a suspect wherever they happen to be, so they went to a place where they knew he would be found. I believe that the school had attempted to mediate disputes with this boy, but if a complaint is filed by someone alleging criminal activity, is that to be ignored and the schools are now supposed to take the place of the courts and social services?

Rather than march the offending child to the victim's house, and face the music -- including an apology, return of his money, and and an additional fine from the child's own allowance -- the solution is to blame someone else. Even if a third party admitted taking his money, a responsible parent/guardian would force the return of the money, even if the victim was compensated more than the original theft. Furthermore, the responsible parent would be at the door of the classroom morning and afternoon, walking with the child to and from school until they learn how to behave properly in public, not just walking with the child because of the media storm created when the lawsuit was filed. Mommy or Daddy walking with the child and observing their interactions would shoot down any credibility that they received from bullying, especially when combined with being grounded at home, with no XBOX or television. The charges were dropped, but again, that wasn't used as a life lesson to teach the child that what they had been doing was wrong, even if there was not enough evidence to support prosecution on the robbery charge for which they were arrested. No, the answer is to blame the police and sue the city because it's clearly the police's fault.

People ask why the police would do this to a child, but do they also ask why said child was allowed to bully another boy? Just because it is within his own peer group does not negate the seriousness of the action because bullying can have ramifications that can last for a lifetime, robbing the victim's self esteem. What is the age at which an arrest for an alleged crime becomes permissible? 10? 12? That is something that needs to be established by law, as there is a juvenile justice system to deal with such issues, and he was cleared before prosecution, but there was enough evidence to support an arrest.

Educators are there to teach, not delve into aspects of disputes that are better handled by social services, the police, and juvenile justice authorities. So, since things are not as easily handled as in private schools, where children were expelled for bullying in my day, the police should be called in when there is evidence to support crimes. This situation was more than a name-calling incident or dispute between two children that can be handled by the school. Perhaps the school called in the authorities to make a case for reassignment to another school, but I don't see how the police are to be vilified for responding to a criminal complaint, making an arrest, and referring the matter to proprietorial authorities. Is that not what the police are supposed to do when there is an alleged crime?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It works in private schools. If the public school can't handle it then let the cops do it. As long as someone in a position of authority does it. What's important is that the victims get justice.
Bullcrap. My daughter was in "private school" for 5 years (K-4th) and there were several bullies that were reported to the teachers, principal, etc and NOTHING was done. Seemed to me that whoever writes the biggest checks can get away with anything.

The ONLY time I ever saw them actually do something about one of the bullies was when the kid threatened to bring a gun to school and kill the teacher (this was in second grade). The teacher refused to work in the classroom if that kid was still permitted there. Since there was only one second grade class, they finally had to kick him out of the school.

Another bully drew a picture of her shooting another boy in the head. NOTHING was done about it at all and this little witch had bullied kids since kindergarten and, even though there were many reports, nothing was done about it.

As for this case here? Who knows what really happened? I tend to believe the victim. HOWEVER, I think the cops were wrong for keeping the kid for hours on end without notifying the mother as to where he was. About the handcuffs? If the story the victim is telling is true, then the cops were right for cuffing the kid.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,184 times
The interesting thing here is that the cop who did this will probably be gone tomorrow (and rightfully so, no excuse for handcuffing a child to a wall), but it'll be almost impossible to fire the teacher who's sat by and allowed this constant bullying to happen all year.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
250 MILLION DOLLARS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! WHAT!??!?!?!?!?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! She's NOT seeing that money, even if she wins some sort of case she's still not seeing CLOSE, NO WHERE NEAR that amount. 1 million tops. Get out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City