Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Wait..please tell me how you believe I have no educational experience. When did I say that?
You have been a teacher ?

I admit that I am guessing, first because you have never said you were, and second ... because people with your point of view generally have no firsthand experience. That seems harshly stated but it is also true. If/when people gain this, everything changes, and not necessarily for the better. One might draw an analogy there with the white neo-liberal who moves to the ghetto, lovin' the black man and all, and then he is mugged. Usually, they turn stupid and racist. Sometimes, they learn something. The latter is unfortunately the less common.

Over-sympathy is simply just not what's needed. But few people understand that who have not been in there. It is about making sure that all children have the maximum opportunities in spite of the stupidity of the culture into which they may have been born. I feel very strongly about this, human sympathy and also the wasted minds and talents are intolerable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Airborne: The cop can respond, but the cop should know arresting a 7 year old for bullying, or whatever other nonsense, is ridiculous and not appropriate. He should know to mediate with the parents, and bring the kid to his house to have the parents handle the situation.

THAT is why it is the cops' fault. Simple question: If this was his kid, would he prefer that he were arrested and handcuffed for hours, OR that the officer brought the kid to him to address the issue? Guess what he would have chosen? And that's the answer to your question. I don't expect cops to do this because they are not paid to think, they are paid to meet a quota.

Harlem: Nobody is asking for sympathy or oversympathy. But what is not acceptable is assuming that because a kid is a "bully" at the age of 7, he is "unsupervised, out of control, etc." HE IS 7..that's what kids do to eachother..they also hit eachother, ignore eachother, yell at each other, push each other, make fun of each other, ridicule each other. Why? Because they are evil, have horrible parents, or are criminals plying their trade in the schoolyard? NO..ITS CUZ THEY ARE 7.

Are you that old and out of touch that you don't remember life at 7? Guess what you were doing, or your friends were doing? THE SAME THING...should you all have been hauled off to prison? NO....if you believe so..well then maybe you should have and remained there...since you must have had bad parents, and were destined to be an ax murderer?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

The phrase "damned if you do, damned if you don't" certainly applies here. ALTHOUGH, as I stated earlier, reality is that the cop will face ZERO scrutiny because there was nothing incorrect about the way this situation was handled legally.
Yes, it does. And it diminishes the situations where there is actual wrong-doing.
These will always abound because people are nuts in every profession.
Conversely, people are not ALWAYS nuts in ANY profession.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The cop can respond, but the cop should know arresting a 7 year old for bullying, or whatever other nonsense, is ridiculous and not appropriate. He should know to mediate with the parents, and bring the kid to his house to have the parents handle the situation.
SobroGuy ! You do not know that they didn't do that, and in fact, the article indicates that the situation had been ongoing and that all sorts of conferences had been held.

I would also like to point out - there is very likely much more to the problem kid's story, things the school cannot discuss due to "privacy" issues.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
There's a simpler way to look at it. None of that would have happened in the first place if the bully did not mess with another kid who abided by the rules (despite unruly surroundings) and minded his own business. There would be no need to get the school or the cops involved. Also it's better to have the bully arrested and handcuffed than to have another bully do bodily harm to him in retaliation.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM

It may be the case that there were "mediations'...but the answer then is having the kid expelled. And suing the school if they are not able to keep the kid safe would guarantee he is expelled. Calling the cops on an annoying 7 year old? How about you bring an older brother to show him what its like to get bullied....problem solved..the way it always is for the past few thousand years..no harm no foul. Everyone grows up, learns, and is not a criminal.

I am all for 'scared straight' tactics...but the parents have to be involved, and that was not the case here. As soon as you have a 7 year old kid who does something wrong, let's arrest him and see how you feel about it. Something tells me you will be singing a different tune, and won't be saying "I am glad you shackeled my son to the radiator for hours, he is unsupervised and out of control." RIGHT.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It may be the case that there were "mediations'...but the answer then is having the kid expelled. And suing the school if they are not able to keep the kid safe would guarantee he is expelled. Calling the cops on an annoying 7 year old? How about you bring an older brother to show him what its like to get bullied....problem solved..the way it always is for the past few thousand years..no harm no foul. Everyone grows up, learns, and is not a criminal.
You can't. I do agree that it has been that way but things have changed, mostly due to legal liabilities. The bigger child would be arrested and charged as an adult once the bully's mother pressed charges. And we know that she would.

And worse ? The ghetto kids know this. They discuss it openly. The kids around here know the laws better than I do, what they can get away with and what not.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM

That assumes the bigger child is over 18 of course..if he is 10? I get that the kids know teachers can't touch them or even look at them the wrong way...that's what kids do! If that's not something they could exploit, they try to exploit something else...KIDS DO THIS...not ghetto kids, ALL KIDS. But hey...according to you ghetto kids are at fault for everything....all other kids are angels, right?

Bad behavior from a 7 year old is in every income status, every social class...so please STOP SAYING ITS THE GHETTO KIDS. It is a societal issue. Like really..what's wrong with you? Just stop "teaching" these kids, your contempt for them is appauling.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
That assumes the bigger child is over 18 of course..if he is 10? I get that the kids know teachers can't touch them or even look at them the wrong way...that's what kids do! If that's not something they could exploit, they try to exploit something else...KIDS DO THIS...not ghetto kids, ALL KIDS. But hey...according to you ghetto kids are at fault for everything....all other kids are angels, right?

Bad behavior from a 7 year old is in every income status, every social class...so please STOP SAYING ITS THE GHETTO KIDS. It is a societal issue. Like really..what's wrong with you? Just stop "teaching" these kids, your contempt for them is appauling.
It's not the ghetto KIDS, it's what they get from the parent or parents. That's the point. Of course all children behave similarly ... do you have any ? If not, well, you can look forward to managing this. FYI, it begins at age two and I do not yet know when it ends or if it does.

The problem is - improper management of the things that all kids do. I actually feel sorry for the little boy with such a parent. Both of the children are the real victims here, as well as any other children whom he has bullied.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
The reason why my 7YO won't be arrested even assuming that bullying is attempted is because the *private* school intervenes whenever cases of bullying are reported. And that makes the crucial difference as all of us parents can count on the school to make sure all kids follow the rules. In this case the school could not stop the bully so the victim's family turned to the police.

And the whole thing about bringing an older bro to "show him how it's like" - how sure are you that the older bro will show restraint and merely scare the little thug? If that older bro/cousin/mom's BF is also a thug then he can do anything he pleases with no boundaries. If that Reyes kid got badly injured because of retaliation, would that be better than being hadcuffed? Maybe it would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City