Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:50 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times

Advertisements

Besides, women display different behavior in different stages of their life, or even different behavior during the day, and different at night, plus add here PMS, etc. Women are complex creatures. Some pretty women are very smart one day, and stupid the next one. Some pretty ones date endlessly, some are married since 19, some are even nuns. Same with the non-pretty ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:

"you people"
Generalize much?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
The American dream is a wife, kids, house, and a Volvo. you people with your liberal bohemian anti - American views destroyed that. Most of you younger folks no longer value the idea of family because it gets in the way of your elitist ventures, today most of you are to self absorbed and the only things that matter are materialistic, you're being too in love with yourselves and therfore lack the ability to start anyyhing meaningful with a man or woman.

Ive been with the same woman for 22.5 years, our generation I believe was the last to value straight marriage and the idea of having children. I would not want to be single today and if I were give me an older woman from Generation X, they still carry old fashion values.
Best comment I've read all month long! (And I'm female/ born-bred in NYC)

Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
These threads always bring out the same (bitter) single people, complaining about the same things. "All NYC women are like this" or "all NYC guys are like that". That all or nothing attitude is probably why the people complaining are bitter and single in the first place!

Old 09-23-2015, 06:50 PM

102 posts, read 190,824 times
NYC women are very hypergamous they want to marry rich guys or guys who are doctors, work on Wall Street. If you don't have $$$$ you will get no chance. Look at Donald Trump and his wife.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:00 PM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Didn't Doris Day say that?
Not sure but I believe that the younger folks today dont have much faith in love, religion, long term commitments, unless they are geared entreprenuer, that dont seem to take as many chances as we did.

In their defense, they graduated college in one of the worse recessions since the great depression, in places like NYC, DC, SF, the cost of living is so high and the enviornment is so competitve, its exhausting just to keep up and it takes time to devote to a partner, I was born and raised in NY as well, hour north of Manhattan, and its nothing but a rat race to compete with thy neighbor over who's house is bigger, who's car is more exspensive, its a lifestyle I left years ago and you can keep it, I found a little town in Virginia and called it home ever since.

The young folks grew up and saw their parents struggle and lose homes and jobs mostly caused by the greed and corruption found on Wall Street, and as a nation we somehow adopted a very dangerous corporate culture, a culture that has the power to buy politicians like little whores on the street.

So I can see why the newer generations are less cavalier and more cautious but if you meet someone that makes you feel warm abd fuzzy dont be afraid to take the chance, when I first met my wife it was courthouse matrimony, we had nothing, and despite sounding like a country song 22.5 years later we're still standing with a house, nice car, and nice income.

Love does work, you cant be afraid of it.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Not sure but I believe that the younger folks today dont have much faith in love, religion, long term commitments, unless they are geared entreprenuer, that dont seem to take as many chances as we did.

In their defense, they graduated college in one of the worse recessions since the great depression, in places like NYC, DC, SF, the cost of living is so high and the enviornment is so competitve, its exhausting just to keep up and it takes time to devote to a partner, I was born and raised in NY as well, hour north of Manhattan, and its nothing but a rat race to compete with thy neighbor over who's house is bigger, who's car is more exspensive, its a lifestyle I left years ago and you can keep it, I found a little town in Virginia and called it home ever since.

The young folks grew up and saw their parents struggle and lose homes and jobs mostly caused by the greed and corruption found on Wall Street, and as a nation we somehow adopted a very dangerous corporate culture, a culture that has the power to buy politicians like little whores on the street.

So I can see why the newer generations are less cavalier and more cautious but if you meet someone that makes you feel warm abd fuzzy dont be afraid to take the chance, when I first met my wife it was courthouse matrimony, we had nothing, and despite sounding like a country song 22.5 years later we're still standing with a house, nice car, and nice income.

Love does work, you cant be afraid of it.
Armyvet: your characterization of the pre-marital generation (20s to early 30s) is not what I see in the people I know of that age. Most are hard-working, good head on their shoulders, some actually take on more burdens, like caring for their aging parents. I also see them create strong relationships, marry, have little kids. They try their best to take care of their family.

Some actually are taking chances. One for example, just left his job to pursue his musical career. A few have actually started startups. Some work for big companies trying to get experience and a feather in their cap.

Life has a way of smacking you in the back of the head, with the grind of the daily life, paying the rent, etc. Most can't avoid it.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 PM

Out of many young folks I know, only two are living in their parents' home. A 30-year old attorney, who has jumped from job to job, and a 25-year girl, who has a medical condition. None of them is dating, and can't wait to get out.

One 23-year old kid in my company, 1 year out of college just took on his welfare mom into his apartment, put her through necessary surgery and therapy, and is taking care of her. He has a steady job, a second job on the weekend, and a steady girlfriend. Kids busts his butt at work, and keeps his mouth shut. He grew up in Lefrak City projects. He just got a big raise at work.

A 29 years old woman moved back from DC so he could take care of her parents in the 70s. Another one left the company to go back to her family business, since her parents can't do it anymore. My neighbor is busting his butt on a nothing job so he could finish and pay for his Masters.

I am not too worried about the newer generation. The generation that scares me is the politicians'...

Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
I just came back from a 2nd date with a white transplant woman from the Midwest who move to NYC in the recent years. She is in her thirties. She is not like rest of her cohort who wants a man that is highly educated, Nordic, wasp/jewish, working in finance, banking, careerist type, fit, amazing smile from grin to chin. This woman wants a relationship with me already. She has been single for a while now in NYC and all the men she meets, mainly transplant men, all they want to do is sleep and string women along. She realized that she had to stop seeing transplant men. She also began to date native New York men. I have to tell her I'm not into her, and I still want to go to Thailand with some close male friends and go crazy in Pattaya, and Phuket. Over the years I have really noticed how much white women are not from NYC.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have to tell her I'm not into her, and I still want to go to Thailand with some close male friends and go crazy in Pattaya, and Phuket. Over the years I have really noticed how much white women are not from NYC.
You may prefer Colombia more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City