Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 PM

27 posts, read 53,838 times

Advertisements

I have been informed that living with a roommate in Brooklyn could be cheaper than living in a dorm room. And my travel time would no longer be 3 hours a day from Harlem to Manhattan Beach for college.

But how do I find roommates. I mean I would like to find roommates who are in college and the same age as me preferably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Look on craigslist - rooms and shares.
Then, proceed with caution. If people seem crazy, they probably are. If you need more advice about particular situations, you could consider posting here again.

Look on your school's housing board, if they have one. Or place one yourself.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Look on craigslist - rooms and shares.
Then, proceed with caution. If people seem crazy, they probably are. If you need more advice about particular situations, you could consider posting here again.

Look on your school's housing board, if they have one. Or place one yourself.

I have a question considering I WILL be paying for my dorming with my student loan because I have too. If I stayed up here and went to college I would still be paying for my rooming with a loan. So how much do you think I should take out or budget for an apartment?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
You need to ask some of the people at the school you'll be attending the answer for these questions. We don't have access to your parents income tax forms or your federal finance aid, so we can't answer if your student loan is enough to pay for housing.

Student loans can pay for off campus housing, but you'll need to get specifics from your financial aid office.

Beyond that, craigslist is the best place to get roommates from in the city, but as another poster posted, proceed with caution. There are a lot of scammers on craigslist, and some just crazy people. You may not want to hear this, but your mother isn't wrong in preferring that you stay in a dorm.

What if a person took the money you paid for a room and split? It could happen, you know. It would be different if you knew people in the city, it would make more sense for you to get a room as someone you know might hook you up. But for someone just graduating from high school to come here and start trying to live with strangers?

I don't know about that.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM

If you live in the dorm for a semester or two, you will meet people at school and find roommates in that group.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 PM

I agree with both of you, I made a thread though on here. And my only option for living in a dorm room would be in Harlem on 130th street. Which is quite a distance to do everyday I have classes. And people were telling me to get a apartment in Brooklyn because that would be tiring on me. But I guess doing it for a year wouldn't be so bad. Or even a semester and try to make friends.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepride95 View Post
I agree with both of you, I made a thread though on here. And my only option for living in a dorm room would be in Harlem on 130th street. Which is quite a distance to do everyday I have classes. And people were telling me to get a apartment in Brooklyn because that would be tiring on me. But I guess doing it for a year wouldn't be so bad. Or even a semester and try to make friends.
You will make friends, you'll see.
And you can do reading on the train.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepride95 View Post

You know, CUNY has community colleges in Manhattan. There's no reason for you to be so attached to Kingsborough Community College, its not like you got into Harvard.

Why not go to one of the Manhattan Community Colleges, which would be closer to your dorm?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You will make friends, you'll see.
And you can do reading on the train.
Thank You maybe it isn't so bad. I knew making the move down here wouldn't be easy and there will be more hardships to come I know that. If this is the worst thing I have to deal with when I move down to NYC im going to be so thankful for that.

The only hard part for me is going to be figuring out the subways, I always get so confused on them. And I don't understand what is being said. I'm afraid I'll be lost down there.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You know, CUNY has community colleges in Manhattan. There's no reason for you to be so attached to Kingsborough Community College, its not like you got into Harvard.

Why not go to one of the Manhattan Community Colleges, which would be closer to your dorm?
You have a point , but they don't have specific classes I really want to take in the Theatre major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City