U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM

1,388 posts, read 931,423 times

Advertisements

Is common for people to have roommates in a studio apartment? Particularly ones that haven't met until they moved in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM

16,670 posts, read 13,932,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Is common for people to have roommates in a studio apartment? Particularly ones that haven't met until they moved in?
Sometimes couples (either married or unmarried) or just friends share studio apts. But I think it would be difficult to share a studio apt. with a complete stranger.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 807,854 times
Couples and maybe close friends can share a bigger/alcove studio but not just strangers, that just seems weird.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:57 AM

160 posts, read 275,785 times
Oh Jesus, OP...are you one of those "hipsters" that just HAS to live in Manhatan ....so this is all you can afford?????

BUllETIN!!!!!.....REAL New Yorkers reside in the outer boroughs. Also, for what you are paying for your half of that studio apartment can get you a decent apartment in one of the other boroughs of NYC where you don't have to have a roommate.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,103,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post
Oh Jesus, OP...are you one of those "hipsters" that just HAS to live in Manhatan ....so this is all you can afford?????

BUllETIN!!!!!.....REAL New Yorkers reside in the outer boroughs. Also, for what you are paying for your half of that studio apartment can get you a decent apartment in one of the other boroughs of NYC where you don't have to have a roommate.
and you can live downright cheaply in Des Moine, Iowa- but that doesn't mean you'd want to.

Manhattan > Other Boroughs > Des Moine.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM

658 posts, read 468,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post

Speaks the truth lolololol

Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM

6,754 posts, read 7,497,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
and you can live downright cheaply in Des Moine, Iowa- but that doesn't mean you'd want to.

Manhattan > Other Boroughs > Des Moine.
You live in Levittown, not one of the outerboroughs. The above makes no sense.

OP, the simple answer to your question is NO, most people do not take a roommate they do not know in a studio apartment in Manhattan - but the real question is how on earth one would do that.

I disagree with Melissa's concept of a "real NYer" being one who only resides in an outerborough. In fact, I don't think anyone can show me too many "real NYers". I only know of 1 - she lives in Brooklyn and always lived in Brooklyn. She will die in Brooklyn because she refuses to consider living anywhere else under any circumstances. Ah, but is she a real NYer? Or a Brooklynite?

I lived on Staten Island for 15 years and never considered myself a NYer.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 PM

902 posts, read 843,023 times
I prefer Brookyn and Queens to Manhattan.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:43 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,357,282 times
BUllETIN!!!!!.....REAL New Yorkers reside in the outer boroughs. Also, for what you are paying for your half of that studio apartment can get you a decent apartment in one of the other boroughs of NYC where you don't have to have a roommate.[/quote]

REALLY, Melissa what is your definition of a REAL NEW YORKER?
Because I know PLENTY of born and raised new yorkers that live in Manhattan but wait are they not real because they don't live in Brooklyn or Queens...Please

Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM

3,420 posts, read 3,286,402 times
It's not unusual for roommates to share a studio, but only a fool would get into a situation like that sight unseen. I think a person should spend at least a few hours chatting with a roommate beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City