Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,980,565 times

Advertisements

I see alot of the changes occuring firsthand in the core of urban cities, as I live in Mott Haven. I must wonder that the new residents moving into these once blighted and forgotten, yet ideally located neighborhoods within the city limits, and renovating homes, increasing rents and housing prices, driving nice cars, and putting increasing pressure on the older/poorer residents, will face a backlash of some sort.

Is it possible that as prices reach some sort of breaking point for the poor/working class, that another riot is possible in these transitioning urban communities..much like the riots of the late 60s and early 70s that decimated these communities in the first place? Back then the impetus for the riots was a direct result of the rampant segregation, hatred, and double standard that people of color faced in every aspect of their life, housing, education, employment, etc. However today...it boils down to economics, and the have and have-nots of every race.

Does anyone consider this a real possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,614,966 times
Nah, I think people are just moving out to much cheaper markets in the south. Such as Atlanta and Houston. I think the riots of the late 60s and the 70's were also push by the Black Panthers. Which their big power in the communities just cease to exist these days.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,980,565 times
Yeah te 24 hour black out a few years ago was very telling. The city was just fine, no crime really...and everyone made the best of it versus the blackout of '77 ...when all he** broke loose. So I think the mentality has changed...and these communities have turned the corner and prefer not to go back to those days!

As the new residents move into these communities, I have yet to see or feel any outward hostility or resentment outside of the usual kids being silly when they see a new face..which you would get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City