Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post

Seems to be the M.O. Of many of the "natives". Too bad some one didn't tell their parent or grandparent to GTFO. And if they did, they would be here defending said parent or grandparent's righ to be here. A bit hypocritical eh?

Unless you are NA, someone got here first, and really wish your type would GTFO. And the NYC school system is not an accomplishment, it is a travesty. I wonder if the whole grew up in NYC schools argument counts if you were born in NYC, but went to some prep school on the UES.
Not really... What seems to be the M.O. of many transplants online such as yourself is to point out these imaginary fallacies to build up your own self-esteem to hide your insecurities... Like I said before, the reality is that in the grand scheme of things, transplants such as yourself and natives such as myself are not that important... Live your life and ignore whatever self created hate you've imagined for yourself and move on... These repetitive topics are becoming ridiculous already...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM

241 posts, read 373,018 times
Lol. Ok. Well, I am glad my Dad hated the NYC winter enough to leave. Which later enabled me to get a decent education so I could properly read, and have better accomplishments than being born somewhere. Thanks Dad!

Funny, I am one of the few people in my family born outside of NYC. And most of them wish they had been born elsewhere. Many moved when they got the chance to better places. Seems many of the chest beating natives are stuck here, with no desire to think outside the box and push themsleves and pursue better opportunities. Funny, that.

So where were your parents born? Your Grandparents? Hmmm, wonder if someone told them to GTFO when they got to NYC.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Like someone said on this thread transplant bashing is mostly an internet thing.
There are a few people on this forum who are regular transplant bashers, and they know who they are. These people, IMO, lack a sense of accomplishment, and thats why they cling to the native NYer label. They got nothing going for them, other than to feel proud about being born here.

In my book is stupid to feel proud or ashamed of where you are from. We don't get to chose where we are born or raised.
But we can chose where to live as adults.
Smart people feel proud of things the have control of, and not vice versa.

This whole native vs transplant dichotomy is just plain silly and The transplant bashing crowd needs to drop it.
It's getting old...

Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,338 times
Default Am I a Transplant?

• Born and raised for my first 18 years of life less than 45 minutes from where I live now in the NYC Metro area
  • Lived in NYC proper from age 18+
  • Graduated from two CUNY schools: one for my BA and one for my MS
  • Got my first "real" job here and have only worked in NYC
  • Have lived in the Bronx on and off since 2001
  • Have a Bronx/NYC accent

Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
I have been living in Central Riverdale, The Bronx since 1991 when I was 29. I grew up about 25 miles NW of here. Am I a transplant? I moved here because it is more affordable than Westchester and my maternal grandparents lived here so I am familiar with it

Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
I'm a transplant with a really well developed root system.I've been here longer than most of you have been alive,have lived for long periods in every borough except Staten Island,survived the NYC of the 70's and 80's,currently dwell deep in The Bronx with the natives,work for the city and know more about NYC than most natives I have met.Nevertheless,I am still a transplant , will always be a transplant and will always root for The Red Sox.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-21-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
Lol. Ok. Well, I am glad my Dad hated the NYC winter enough to leave. Which later enabled me to get a decent education so I could properly read, and have better accomplishments than being born somewhere. Thanks Dad!

Funny, I am one of the few people in my family born outside of NYC. And most of them wish they had been born elsewhere. Many moved when they got the chance to better places. Seems many of the chest beating natives are stuck here, with no desire to think outside the box and push themsleves and pursue better opportunities. Funny, that.

So where were your parents born? Your Grandparents? Hmmm, wonder if someone told them to GTFO when they got to NYC.
Why shouldn't I be proud that I am a native NYer? NYC offered my family and myself so much. My grandfather, French Jew GTFO Europe before the **** hit the fan over there, and NY offered him shelter, opportunity, and knowing his family wasn't gonna be harmed. NYC public schools offered my parents and myself an excellent education. Yes, out there in the bowels of Brooklyn / Queens. My dad did masters at Columbia. I did my own MS at Chicago. My parents literally lived in 6 continents, saw the world. I have done my own share of living abroad and elsewhere in the country. NYC taught us and equipped us with many things I have found very useful, being that Nigeria or San Francisco or Kazakhistan. You damn right I am proud to call NY home, and best place on world. Youse transplants, right or wrong, didn't get that in your upbringing. No problem. But don't tell me, that NY gave me nothing, and there is nothing I should be proud of. In fact, NYC keeps giving me. It keeps giving my kids basically the same things. It actually even gives youse ungrateful souls. Many of you are so stupid, you don't even know what you're getting.

Last edited by Henry10; 03-21-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Everyone stop fretting and grow a pair. Most transplants hang around for just a couple of years and then go back to where they came from. NYC weeds out the weak. It always has.

I somewhat disagree. I see a lot of transplants marrying and ultimately, having kids. Park Slope, anybody?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 AM

40 posts, read 72,986 times
A transplant boils down to this:

Speaks with a nasal tone.
A Whole Foods regular.
A fetish for crappy art. (Sleeping in boxes and s***)
Loves the smell of their own S***
Arrogant
Not very receptive of his/her neighbors.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandslap View Post
A transplant boils down to this:

Speaks with a nasal tone.
A Whole Foods regular.
A fetish for crappy art. (Sleeping in boxes and s***)
Loves the smell of their own S***
Arrogant
Not very receptive of his/her neighbors.
No, "transplant" is an ordinary English word which, in this context, means someone who moved here from somewhere else in America, at any time, for any reason. You see? Very simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City