U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 PM

9,357 posts, read 7,440,243 times

Advertisements

If you think SI's small businesses like the toll rates, you don't read local SI news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 AM

4,182 posts, read 3,263,419 times
I don't read the Advance. We've worked in 3 large jobs on SI, Ferry Terminal, Richmond Terrace / Broadway, and Seaview Hospital. Did a lot of bid solicitations. This is in the last 10-12 years. Still working on some retail development on Bay Street. Yes, Verrazano toll gives local contractors an advantage

Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 AM

I also hear that Steve Margarella wants to ban tolls. Steve is a smart guy, he paves a lot of City Streets, all over the place. If it was up to me, my perfect world would have no tolls. I think they are punitive to free movement of people and goods. But I know that many people in SI do not feel this way.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:18 AM

8,559 posts, read 20,696,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
............ If it was up to me, my perfect world would have no tolls. I think they are punitive to free movement of people and goods. ......
Only problem with that is the movement of people and goods isn't free.Somebody has to pay for it.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
But I know that many people in SI do not feel this way.
I've lived here my whole life, have been an off-island driving commuter for a long time, and devour our local news - especially on this issue - regularly. I have never once even heard it implied by anyone that they believe these tolls help us in any way. Never once has an SI politician suggested anything other than that the tolls hurt our local economy and the island job market.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 AM

15,751 posts, read 25,581,085 times
When my family moved to Staten Island the toll was 50 cents. I believe the toll for the bridge is not for the residents of SI, but for the maintenance of the bridge. Still, it is ridiculously too high.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've lived here my whole life, have been an off-island driving commuter for a long time, and devour our local news - especially on this issue - regularly. I have never once even heard it implied by anyone that they believe these tolls help us in any way. Never once has an SI politician suggested anything other than that the tolls hurt our local economy and the island job market.
Tolls help no one. Yet, you as resident pay $ 6 to go work in Brooklyn. A Brooklyn resident pays $ 10 (EZpass) to come work in SI. A commuter from NJ who works on SI pays less than $ 6 on Goethals, Bayonne and Outerbridge. That's why many of them actually drive to the ferry and take it to Manhattan.

You mean to tell me that you never heard of Staten Island discouraging people coming to SI? If I was living there, with all the congestion and craziness, I would not want them either.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Only problem with that is the movement of people and goods isn't free.Somebody has to pay for it.
There are other ways to get revenue. Sales taxes for example. Imagine if dropping all tolls to SI, but slightly increasing Tax Rate from 8.875 to 8.895. SI would be a different place. SI has some very nice places, but no one makes it a destination with these tolls, unless forced to.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
You mean to tell me that you never heard of Staten Island discouraging people coming to SI? If I was living there, with all the congestion and craziness, I would not want them either.
There's a marked difference between the people who believe we should discourage more people from moving here, and what you said earlier about the tolls benefitting island business. The tolls do not benefit island businesses, especially island small businesses. Everything coming here costs more because of the tolls. For a simple comparison, look at gas prices in Brooklyn which are always a few cents (sometimes even more) less than here on the island.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM

22,098 posts, read 29,201,478 times
You get a free ride on the Ferry: don't gripe if you must pay to drag 2 tons of steel along with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City