Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM

18,386 posts, read 31,507,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why do you(nightcrawler) keep bringing up that its a Muslim country? Your looking ignorant. Turkey is considered fairly moderate and Istanbul is considered safe for the most part.

I have to address this again, why am looking ignorant?

because it is a muslim country, muslim muslim muslim.

so what other developments have been happening with this story, it kinda fell under the rug about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,969,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
As a young American woman, she's probably seen as a safer bet by smugglers than hiring a local, especially if you are going to send her to different countries. These scumbags make so much money from trafficking that paying a few grand to a mule is no biggie. Obviously, we still don't know if drugs were involved, but I think it's still a possible angle. Makes more sense than the photography thing.

Totally...that guys has changed his story plenty of times. I think he definitely had something to do with it.
Sounds like the movie Taken 2 were Albanian traffickers kidnap Liam Nelson character and his wife in Istanbul.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM

88,251 posts, read 84,175,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have to address this again, why am looking ignorant?

because it is a muslim country, muslim muslim muslim.

so what other developments have been happening with this story, it kinda fell under the rug about now.
Homeless people who live in the area told Turkish LE about one of the other homeless people who was covered with mud and dirt the day that SS was murdered, and he said he fell off the walls. LE visited the siblings of this homeless guy and got DNA material, which they say matches up to blood and skin found on SS. They are now searching for him--supposedly he is running and was known to be heading for the Syrian border.

Some reports say the guy is schizophrenic, but apparently he's not crazy enough not to try to disappear after he murders someone, if he did it. Lots of questions if he did--why take the phone and IPad and not her jewelry--he removed her earrings and placed them in the dirt next to her body, wedding ring was still on her hand. Pants were removed but she was not sexually assaulted--LE thinks they may have been removed after she was already dead to make it look like a rape. And why did he kill her in the first place?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM

so many un explained things.

but none the less, i still have a problem with the whole situation. her new found "passion" with photography, and somewhere over seas was the first choice for the first time, and to go alone....staying with strangers from instagram....and she didn't even have a camera.

I think the husband has a few screws loose for letting her go, what was wrong with him????or maybe he didnt really care.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM

88,251 posts, read 84,175,053 times
Quote:
so many un explained things.

but none the less, i still have a problem with the whole situation. her new found "passion" with photography, and somewhere over seas was the first choice for the first time, and to go alone....staying with strangers from instagram....and she didn't even have a camera.

I think the husband has a few screws loose for letting her go, what was wrong with him????or maybe he didnt really care.
In the funeral pics, he certainly looked devastated. She was supposed to travel with a girl friend, who backed out due to financial concerns.

But you are right, there are so many weird questions about this whole thing.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the funeral pics, he certainly looked devastated. She was supposed to travel with a girl friend, who backed out due to financial concerns.

But you are right, there are so many weird questions about this whole thing.
To me, I think the police should question the GF a little more. At the end, now she realized she didn't have the funds to go abroad, to me this sounds like cold feet.

Logic would tell me that if my BFF cancelled, so would I.

But there must have been something "really great", maybe "beneficial", 'rewarding" (?) about going to Turkey no matter what....even if that meant going alone........so she went, alone.....

Hey, I want to photograph life in Venice, as I am in love with the whole concept of the country. I am also man, trust me the way I look, no one would bother me.....but I am not going all alone to a country that I have never been to before, to take pictures. It just ain't happening.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 31,877 times
I do not know why this woman went to Turkey alone. I have been to Turkey before with family, but would never go there alone. She probably did not do a lot of research about the country. First of all, Istanbul is the center of human trafficking. They just recently arrested over 40 men that were caught kidnapping Russian, Ukrainian, and other foreign girls, sending them to Montenegro and Albanian bordering towns where they were sold.

My heart goes out to her family and friends. I hope that people will start doing better research when they travel and take safer precautions.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK001 View Post
I do not know why this woman went to Turkey alone. I have been to Turkey before with family, but would never go there alone. She probably did not do a lot of research about the country. First of all, Istanbul is the center of human trafficking. They just recently arrested over 40 men that were caught kidnapping Russian, Ukrainian, and other foreign girls, sending them to Montenegro and Albanian bordering towns where they were sold.

My heart goes out to her family and friends. I hope that people will start doing better research when they travel and take safer precautions.

I don't think she did any research, which goes to show you what a dumb woman she was.

all of sudden she had to photograph turkey.

I'm telling everyone there was something about going on this trip that was going to be beneficial to her, not just snapping a few pictures with an ipad......................

Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM

16 posts, read 31,877 times
Quote:
I don't think she did any research, which goes to show you what a dumb woman she was.

all of sudden she had to photograph turkey.

I'm telling everyone there was something about going on this trip that was going to be beneficial to her, not just snapping a few pictures with an ipad......................

I agree with you on that. Something had to have beneficial to her because nothing about what she did makes sense. If her best friend canceled last minute, why didn't she reschedule her trip for a later date with another friend? If she couldn't reschedule, why didn't she take her husband? Why was it so important for her to travel to Turkey that she HAD to go there alone? It doesn't make any sense. If she wanted to take photographs, she could have went somewhere alone in the United States (Smoky Mountains, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Canyon, etc.)

On NY1 news, one of her relatives said that she had been talking to someone from Turkey on a social networking site. They wouldn't give any details on who this person was. To be honest, I don't think that Turkish police are going to find anything. Whoever killed her could have paid the police off (which happens a lot in places like Turkey).

When I first heard the news about this woman, the first idea that ran through my head was "She found a possible love interest in Turkey via the internet and ran away with him." Her relatives said she was depressed and unhappy with her life, it all made sense. Then they found her dead. Now it's just a very confusing case.

Last edited by AnnaK001; 02-25-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK001 View Post
I agree with you on that. Something had to have beneficial to her because nothing about what she did makes sense. If her best friend canceled last minute, why didn't she reschedule her trip for a later date with another friend? If she couldn't reschedule, why didn't she take her husband? Why was it so important for her to travel to Turkey that she HAD to go there alone? It doesn't make any sense. If she wanted to take photographs, she could have went somewhere alone in the United States (Smoky Mountains, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Canyon, etc.)

On NY1 news, one of her relatives said that she had been talking to someone from Turkey on a social networking site. They wouldn't give any details on who this person was. To be honest, I don't think that Turkish police are going to find anything. Whoever killed her could have paid the police off (which happens a lot in places like Turkey).

When I first heard the news about this woman, the first idea that ran through my head was "She found a possible love interest in Turkey via the internet and ran away with him." Her relatives said she was depressed and unhappy with her life, it all made sense. Then they found her dead. Now it's just a very confusing case.

I am in total agreement with you.

I think, even as we still discuss this, this "situation" is going to get swept under the rug................................and forgotten about.

sad.

there are now 2 children that do not have a mother anymore, this is absolutely horrible, and as a parent that was widowewd at a very young age, I feel worse than the average person does, for these 2 boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City