Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Moving to a place go homeless is not relatable. At all. I can understand wanting to live someplace different, but there are certain economic realities that must be dealt with if you're planning a move.

This thread started out talking about how it's ill advised for a young person to move NYC only to be broke and have to live with roommates, and to wait until you're 40 and can afford to live on your own.

Now it took the leap into assuming everyone ends up homeless. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
This thread started out talking about how it's ill advised for a young person to move NYC only to be broke and have to live with roommates, and to wait until you're 40 and can afford to live on your own.

Now it took the leap into assuming everyone ends up homeless. lol.
I mentioned moving to any place, not NYC. You need some sort of viable plan in place if you move ANYWHERE, including Kansas!

I wouldn't just move to Kansas without knowing anyone, without sufficient savings, without things like a job or school lined up, etc. Of course there are many people who move who have those things taken care off. There are those who don't take care of those things, and it ends up not so good. But that's true of moving anywhere, NYC is no exception.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
I will say living in New York City sure as hell is not as romantic as television makes it out to be, but at the same token I do see where many people who have never left their small town or home state are coming from. The idea of living in a place completely different from where you are used to is thrilling and adds to your life experiences.

As far as people being in their early 20's and having unrealistic expectations, I say that is better than having low expectations. None of us can predict the future, heck I lost a job at 29 I thought I would retire from.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I will say living in New York City sure as hell is not as romantic as television makes it out to be, but at the same token I do see where many people who have never left their small town or home state are coming from. The idea of living in a place completely different from where you are used to is thrilling and adds to your life experiences.

As far as people being in their early 20's and having unrealistic expectations, I say that is better than having low expectations. None of us can predict the future, heck I lost a job at 29 I thought I would retire from.
Well, you never know if something will work out unless you try it, right? You don't want to be an angry old person who has done nothing and tried nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City