Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by person900990 View Post
Again, the OP is an idiot and this post makes no sense.

1. Many - most - transplants have strong support structures.
Yes, NY is a city that will chew you up and spit you out if you come here without a support system... but most people HAVE ONE. Many people come here in college or in structured graduate schemes. Colleges generally provide lots of help on housing, campus jobs, access to credit etc. Then they come as a post college wave. Huge numbers of management consultants and bankers who - again - have a huge support network through their careers. Many students come from grad school or business school. I came to NY the first time on an international internship scheme. Again - housing help, tours of the city, tax help. Then many people KNOW PEOPLE who live in the area, even if they are not from the area. And many people who are transplants HAVE MONEY. Yes, people from Ohio have money. People from other countries have money. Their kids come here and are supported by the Bank of Mom and Dad. Even new immigrants who get here illegally just off the boat often tap into well trodden immigrant networks to find jobs, food and housing. Where do you think all the cab drivers come from?

2. Most of the benefits of NY are felt when you are young and unencumbered
Here is a good article which talks about this in detail. Moving home: The new key to success - Salon.com Basically, when you have no kids and are under 30, you don't mind renting a tiny walk up in Brooklyn and partying all week. It's fun that you have no car. Everything is expensive? Well, carpe diem! When you have kids, you need to live in a good school district and presumably eventually buy somewhere to live. NY is expensive to live in as a single young adult, but it's astronomically expensive and almost completely unaffordable for many families. For e.g. it's much more expensive to buy than rent in NY, comparatively speaking. So people MOVE AWAY from NY when they want to have kids and settle down. They take all the amazing experience they got in NY and go back home to their home town and get higher salaries and better jobs. To the extent that anyone should be moving to NY, it should be young people.

3. There is nothing wrong with roommates or ramen.
Part of the reason that the economy is in this mess is that people don't want to work for the monetary rewards they think they deserve. There is nothing wrong with people living with roommates or eating ramen. There's a difference between the grinding poverty of the chronic poor and the temporary inconvenience faced by the broke well educated post grad. The latter is a stage of life that people should go through! And as someone who is European born, you don't need 20 000 sq ft home to be happy. All the horrid ugly (expensive to maintain) mcmansions that are sold as the American dream just repel me. I'd rather live in a small beautiful space than have acres and acres of crap.
Why isn't there an "applause" smiley?
Honestly, when I read all of the "young people shouldn't come to New York" posts throughout this forum, all I see is crabs-in-a-barrel "advice". Some people are living with regret that they were so afraid to take risks in their youth, and resent those who have that option today. A lot of people come here without a plan, without support, or with a false idea of what this city is and don't make it, but "trying for NYC" one less thing they'll have to regret when they're as aged as some of this forum's posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person900990 View Post
Again, the OP is an idiot and this post makes no sense.

1. Many - most - transplants have strong support structures.
Yes, NY is a city that will chew you up and spit you out if you come here without a support system... but most people HAVE ONE. Many people come here in college or in structured graduate schemes. Colleges generally provide lots of help on housing, campus jobs, access to credit etc. Then they come as a post college wave. Huge numbers of management consultants and bankers who - again - have a huge support network through their careers. Many students come from grad school or business school. I came to NY the first time on an international internship scheme. Again - housing help, tours of the city, tax help. Then many people KNOW PEOPLE who live in the area, even if they are not from the area. And many people who are transplants HAVE MONEY. Yes, people from Ohio have money. People from other countries have money. Their kids come here and are supported by the Bank of Mom and Dad. Even new immigrants who get here illegally just off the boat often tap into well trodden immigrant networks to find jobs, food and housing. Where do you think all the cab drivers come from?

2. Most of the benefits of NY are felt when you are young and unencumbered
Here is a good article which talks about this in detail. Moving home: The new key to success - Salon.com Basically, when you have no kids and are under 30, you don't mind renting a tiny walk up in Brooklyn and partying all week. It's fun that you have no car. Everything is expensive? Well, carpe diem! When you have kids, you need to live in a good school district and presumably eventually buy somewhere to live. NY is expensive to live in as a single young adult, but it's astronomically expensive and almost completely unaffordable for many families. For e.g. it's much more expensive to buy than rent in NY, comparatively speaking. So people MOVE AWAY from NY when they want to have kids and settle down. They take all the amazing experience they got in NY and go back home to their home town and get higher salaries and better jobs. To the extent that anyone should be moving to NY, it should be young people.

3. There is nothing wrong with roommates or ramen.
Part of the reason that the economy is in this mess is that people don't want to work for the monetary rewards they think they deserve. There is nothing wrong with people living with roommates or eating ramen. There's a difference between the grinding poverty of the chronic poor and the temporary inconvenience faced by the broke well educated post grad. The latter is a stage of life that people should go through! And as someone who is European born, you don't need 20 000 sq ft home to be happy. All the horrid ugly (expensive to maintain) mcmansions that are sold as the American dream just repel me. I'd rather live in a small beautiful space than have acres and acres of crap.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. While I can understand where the OP is coming from, I think this city is more geared for people in their 20's. That's when you're fine if you're struggling paycheck to paycheck or living with roommates or having to work 2 or 3 jobs to get by. It's however NOT cute after 30 or 35, which is what I think the OP was trying to get at.

The only time you see me telling people not to move here is when they have completely unrealistic expectations. You have to be prepared for the possibility of failure. You have to obtain some kind of support network, or you will end up like so many people my BF and I see who end up moving back home because they can't hack it here. At least they tried, and I will give them that credit. I always tell people to be prepared to cry at their paycheck after taxes. This city really isn't for everyone.

However for me personally I wouldn't recommend moving here for anyone over 40 who was looking to settle down and have kids. This place is expensive enough for a single person. I remember when I was married and contemplating whether I wanted kids or not. The idea of having to pay child care costs that were almost as much as my rent made me want to throw up.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
It's sad to see New York putting up the velvet rope as it has over the past twenty years. Such a fine city, but it just isn't welcoming like it used to be to new residents without $ amd connections. New York was once a solidly middle class city with a few rich areas. Now, with a few exceptions it is the home of the very rich and the very poor. New York is losing its edge and it saddens me. A city full of rich people, yuppies, and college kids with trust funds isn't very appealing. I know there are still lots of regular people out there, but New York is becoming less and less welcoming to average Joes and Janes. It's like you have to be super special to even consider moving there and having a decent life and job.
Keep it real NYC. Don't lose what makes you great - diversity.
Spot on. City of Haves and Have-nots, no middle ground.

City lost edge long time ago and getting worse.

Now I see they want to build luxury hi-rises literally in the middle of housing projects. Like that's something normal to do or like its going to have a good psychological effect on people of both sides.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I pretty much agree with everything you said. While I can understand where the OP is coming from, I think this city is more geared for people in their 20's. That's when you're fine if you're struggling paycheck to paycheck or living with roommates or having to work 2 or 3 jobs to get by. It's however NOT cute after 30 or 35, which is what I think the OP was trying to get at.

The only time you see me telling people not to move here is when they have completely unrealistic expectations. You have to be prepared for the possibility of failure. You have to obtain some kind of support network, or you will end up like so many people my BF and I see who end up moving back home because they can't hack it here. At least they tried, and I will give them that credit. I always tell people to be prepared to cry at their paycheck after taxes. This city really isn't for everyone.

However for me personally I wouldn't recommend moving here for anyone over 40 who was looking to settle down and have kids. This place is expensive enough for a single person. I remember when I was married and contemplating whether I wanted kids or not. The idea of having to pay child care costs that were almost as much as my rent made me want to throw up.
I agree with your J 74. Plenty of people who move here from Cul De Saclusia have unrealistic goals, but which 20 something year old doesnt? Naiev? Of course. When these folks move to NYC they are in for a world of hurt, especially more so from the women who will spit through men faster than a jet engine. I have known a couple of Transplants who moved back but they moved back because they needed experience to obtain a job back in their home state where businesses would not employ them unless if its only for customer service. I think some Millennial Transplants should just come to NYC for the work experience and go back to suburbia for similar job and better quality of life, their resumes will be breathless when employers see that you worked in NYC. NYC is way to expensive to raise a family here and factor in crappy school districts here in the city only makes me want to vomit. Locals manage to cheat the system or have a strong support system here for children. I dont know what these Transplants are going to do when its time for Tiny Tim to go to an overcrowded public school in Park Slope. Bloomberg, Soros and company should open up more private schools for many wannabe 1 percenters.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I dont know what these Transplants are going to do when its time for Tiny Tim to go to an overcrowded public school in Park Slope.
Their exhuberant urban idealism is going to give them the power to fix the public schools so they're the best in the nation, if not the world.....

Naa, they'll do the same thing the last generation did; move to the suburbs.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree with your J 74. Plenty of people who move here from Cul De Saclusia have unrealistic goals, but which 20 something year old doesnt? Naiev? Of course. When these folks move to NYC they are in for a world of hurt, especially more so from the women who will spit through men faster than a jet engine. I have known a couple of Transplants who moved back but they moved back because they needed experience to obtain a job back in their home state where businesses would not employ them unless if its only for customer service. I think some Millennial Transplants should just come to NYC for the work experience and go back to suburbia for similar job and better quality of life, their resumes will be breathless when employers see that you worked in NYC. NYC is way to expensive to raise a family here and factor in crappy school districts here in the city only makes me want to vomit. Locals manage to cheat the system or have a strong support system here for children. I dont know what these Transplants are going to do when its time for Tiny Tim to go to an overcrowded public school in Park Slope. Bloomberg, Soros and company should open up more private schools for many wannabe 1 percenters.
I spoke with one girl who was working at Au Bon Pain. She was from Puerto Rico, so we were talking about places out there since I have family there. She said she came here to go to school only and then was moving right back to PR because going to school here pretty much guarantees you a job in PR.

I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thing is typical. It's not some kind of secret that having NYC experience just about guarantees a job in smaller cities. But even with my 20 years experience it's still a tough job market.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
I spoke with one girl who was working at Au Bon Pain. She was from Puerto Rico, so we were talking about places out there since I have family there. She said she came here to go to school only and then was moving right back to PR because going to school here pretty much guarantees you a job in PR.

I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thing is typical. It's not some kind of secret that having NYC experience just about guarantees a job in smaller cities. But even with my 20 years experience it's still a tough job market.

This, and at least in my field, salaries are higher here. I have a friend living in another part of the country who graduated from the same school as me in the same major, has the same amount of experience and is just as talented but her annual salary is literally half of mine (we're close enough to share that info). The cost-of-living balances things out so I don't really have more spending power than she does, but if I ever move to a cheaper city, I'll be negotiating salaries based on what I earned in New York.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Their exhuberant urban idealism is going to give them the power to fix the public schools so they're the best in the nation, if not the world.....

Naa, they'll do the same thing the last generation did; move to the suburbs.
I hope Transplants can infuse public schools if NYC with suburban flair. I know one woman who told me she wants to send her kids to private school, I wonder if she announced that to her boyfriend to be husband. I do have a feeling they might end up going back to the suburbs, besides plenty of ethnic people live in the suburbs their kids will still have a multicultural upbringing like if they did in the city!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:

I befriended two people from Tennessee which has an horrible job market, these two could not land a job back in thier native states, they move to NYC and landed jobs, two years later they move back to dixie and get jobs. I was even told that if I seek jobs out of state there is a probable chance of being hired since I have NYC on my resume. I agree its still a tough cut throat job market out there even worse in our own back yard of NYC.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
This, and at least in my field, salaries are higher here. I have a friend living in another part of the country who graduated from the same school as me in the same major, has the same amount of experience and is just as talented but her annual salary is literally half of mine (we're close enough to share that info). The cost-of-living balances things out so I don't really have more spending power than she does, but if I ever move to a cheaper city, I'll be negotiating salaries based on what I earned in New York.
Not always. A lot of companies factor in COL which is why your friend is making half of what you make. Just because you're making x amount here, does not automatically guarantee you will be making close to x elsewhere. They will tell you they can't afford NYC pay in another city.

A friend of mine just moved to the LA area. What they were going to pay him was going to be based on where he was going to live. Originally he was in KS. They were going to pay him 75K. He moved back home to NYC for a few months. They would have paid him 115K. He decided to move out to LA because he needed health insurance. They paid him 125K. But that's because it was where they needed him and had to give him the incentive. They didn't pay him that amount based on what he would have made in NYC.

Just like when I was looking at jobs in Dallas I could make the same amount as I do now, maybe more. They're not going to pay me more just because I was making x amount here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City