Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 PM

24 posts, read 42,496 times

Advertisements

About a month ago, I received three parking tickets at one time for one incident: 1 for parking 14 (instead of 15) feet from a fire hydrant, the other for not having a valid registration sticker and the final for not having a valid inspection sticker. $280 in fines. Eep!

While I was upset to discover after measuring that I was only 14 feet from the fire hydrant, I challenged all three tickets because my registration and inspection sticker were properly affixed at the time the tickets were issued. And for the fire hydrant ticket to be valid, my registration number needed to be correct on the ticket. I submitted the exact same evidence for all three tickets, which I challenged online on the same day 1) Pictures showing my stickers 2) an explanation that maybe the officer had missed them because it had recently snowed, and that could have obscured the stickers (with a link to the weather report the day before I was ticketed.)

I received a response to my three tickets today. I was found not guilty for the fire hydrant and not guilty for lack of a registration sticker by one admin judge. And I was found guilty for not having a valid inspection sticker by the other admin judge, who stated in his explanation "Pictures of the stickers are not sufficient proof that they were affixed at the time of ticketing."

On the one hand, I'm grateful, because I wasn't sure I had enough proof to dismiss any of them, and $65 in tickets is very different from $280. However, it seems so bizarre. Exact same evidence. Exact same type of violation. I assume different fact tryers can come to different conclusions on the same evidence, but... any lawyers out there? Is the finding for the first two citations a reason I can appeal the third? Would you appeal? Should I just suck it up and pay?

Any advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
You wouldn't have caught any tickets at all if u parked far away enough from the hydrant.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM

that's really helpful advice!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annanyc View Post
that's really helpful advice!
Bet you wont make the same mistake twice.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM

You mean not bringing a tape measure when I park, or posting on a forum hoping for help instead of superior douchetastickness?

Let me ask you a serious question: Do you think your comments were funny? Actually helpful? Productive in any way whatsoever?

But hey, it's good to know you've never gotten a ticket- say for speeding by 2mph. Or that if you did, you never ever sped again!

Would that we could all be like you, champ.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You wouldn't have caught any tickets at all if u parked far away enough from the hydrant.
That is not a guarantee.
I've been ticketed multiple times in NYC for violations I didn't commit.

Street cleaning in a wrong time zone.
Parking in a T-Intersection (this one happens a LOT)
and once for not having a registration sticker on an out of state vehicle from a state that doesn't HAVE window stickers.

I had to go to the TVB for each one. Won every one of them.
What happened to the officers who ticketed me?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Not necessarily. They are looking to ticket for anything possible if it at all seems plausible.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annanyc View Post
douchetastickness?

LOL.....I get the meaning but how do actually pronounce that?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 28,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
LOL.....I get the meaning but how do actually pronounce that?
Douche taste ickness? Who knows.

Are you allowed to appeal again? I never really dealt with this kind of situations. Just make sure that they don't reconsider the other write offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
What happened to the officers who ticketed me?
The sad part is that I don't think officers get into any trouble ever, unless it makes it into news and into a big deal. Last summer a lady in a Mec rear ended my dad's car. The officer wrote that it was our fault that we were rear ended. When we approached him and asked to amend the statement he went full Medusa mode on us, asking if we are implying that he's lying under the oath, yada yada and that he won't amend the report.

We asked him to at least amend it to include that I was also in the car, because my neck was hurting. He said he will. When we got the report back, it was amended alright. He changed the story of the lady even more and still did not include me as a passanger.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
One thing to learn,

If you multiple offenses, then *mail* in your response, apparrently each offense will be reviewed by a separate administrative judge.

In the OP's case, three different reviews (or was that two?).

If the OP had gone done and physically presented his defense, I presume all w/h been heard by a single judge; and the judgments w/h been uniform.

Ii think it might work best OP, if you take all your evidence and judgments personally down to the DMV and appeal. Jmo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City