Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 22,830 times

Advertisements

Im a 24 yr old female.i have lived in nycha in staten island for 15 years..there are two housing complexes in staten island that are ok.they definetely arent as bad as the other ones out here.i am going through the process of getting an emergeny transfer.i want to go to brooklyn.so my question is which housing complexes in brooklyn are safer or calmer?i dont want to hear that none are safe.b/c i already know that! but i know if they have two housing complexes in staten island that are decent they must have at least one in brooklyn????? any replys will be helpful thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
How about the housing projects in Willamsburgh? The neighborhood is cool these days. Living in Housing projects is no treat, but it is a much better nabe to walk around.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
safer NYCHA developments in bklyn:
nostrand houses
sheepshead bay houses
cooper park houses
williamsburg houses
atlantic terminal
wyckoff gardens
gowanus houses

thats all i can think of off my head....they all have crime, but safer than most bklyn NYCHA developments.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 PM

191 posts, read 900,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila24 View Post
Im a 24 yr old female.i have lived in nycha in staten island for 15 years..there are two housing complexes in staten island that are ok.they definetely arent as bad as the other ones out here.i am going through the process of getting an emergeny transfer.i want to go to brooklyn.so my question is which housing complexes in brooklyn are safer or calmer?i dont want to hear that none are safe.b/c i already know that! but i know if they have two housing complexes in staten island that are decent they must have at least one in brooklyn????? any replys will be helpful thank you..
I've driven by one of the complexes in S.I and to be honest, i almost wanted to move there. it was pretty country by Brooklyn standards. and you cant beat free utilities/dirt cheap rent.

To answer your question tho, nostrand/sheepshead houses are the safest IMO. the PJs in coney are nice looking, but theres just too much humanity there. those big ass buildings hold alot of people in a small spot and the surrounding areas arent all that great

The area around the sheepshead PJs is pretty decent, with mostly well to do white people which in reality keeps the people in the PJs in check (to a point).
you don't need a car for anything in that neighborhood. theres a little mini-mall 1 block away. laundry, bodegas, liquor/check cashing/fried chicken place across the street. Huge movie theather within walking distance. Pet store, playgrounds (both in and out of PJs), beach, boardwalk, belt parkway, (take the bus to the train). Really, if the projects weren't there it would be pretty decent real-estate location.

If you need any more info on that area of BK or sheepshead PJs, let me know. i still know some peeps in there and i still chill in the neighborhood on occasion

Old 10-22-2007, 05:28 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila24 View Post
Your chances of getting a good housing project in Brooklyn, or transferring out period, is very slim. You must have a very good excuse to get out of your current complex.

Projects above NYCHA standards are:

Williamsburg
Independence
Johnathon Williams Plaza
Taylor-Wythe

In depths of hell of Queens(just in case):

Forrest Hills
Pomonok

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
How about the housing projects in Willamsburgh?
It's Williamsburg not Williamsburgh. Maybe back in the 1850s that was in use...

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-12-2008 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 79,209 times
I lived in Coney Island projects for over 6 years and NEVER, EVER had one violent encounter with anyone from the day i moved in, to the day i moved out. Then again, if your a loafer and just hang out in the building all day and don't have a social life outside the projects and don't have a job, then you will most likely run into trouble.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 AM

2 posts, read 57,734 times
Default I've been living in public housing for over 30 years and I could really tell you what's the deal with NYCHA...

In the Bronx, the only 2 best housing projects are:

1) Pelham Parkway - Quiet & working class neighborhood, near Jacobi Hospital, respectful neighbors and has one of the best management offices in NYCHA.

2) Throggs Neck - Also a quiet and working class neighborhood and has its housing police preicinct.

Warning: All other housing projects in the bronx has illegal drug and gang activities (Bloods/Latin Kings/Crips/etc.), gang fights, trouble makers, drug addicts smoking weed or crack in front of your door, stick-up kids, daily gossip, urine on the elevator and hallway floors, graffitti all over the interior of the buildings, excessively noisy/disrespectful neighbors, management offices that only care about is your rent and does nothing about your complaints, plenty of vacancies to keep you in the Bronx forever.

The worst housing projects (in numeric order) in the Bronx out of all the other bad ones are:

1) Castle Hill
2) Paterson
3) Webster
4) Mott Haven
5) Mitchell
6) Milbrook

Now.... There are more than 2 housing projects that are the best in Manhattan (Excluding Marble Hill) which in numeric order are:

1) Harborview Terrance - Located in midtown Manhattan, is the fanciest, newest and the most quietest housing project NYCHA has ever owned. There is an obstacle to get selected for an apartment in this heavenly housing project. It is managed by Amsterdam Houses, a housing project a few blocks away where everybody that applies for Harborview Terrance will get selected for Amsterdam (a housing project full of gang members).

2) Harlem River - Located in a middle-income Harlem neighborhood, it look like condominiums and it is a very traditional, respectful and quiet housing project similar to Harborview Terrance. Generations pass by and there still be very little vacancies and to be selected to Harlem river, all you need is an application and a dream.

3) Dyckman - Located in in a working-class Inwood neighborhood, it is convinient to transportation, restaurants, nightclubs and stores 24/7. It's quiet all over the housing project (except if you get the bad luck to live next noisy neighbors that take advantage of the peace and safety around them). In that case, the Dyckman Management Office is very poorly operated to handle tenant's complaints and transfers so if you get selected to live in Dyckman, the peace and safety is guaranteed but not the overall quietness within your apartment. Overall, Dyckman is like a mini Co-op city and you'll feel like a millionaire while renting one of these apartments. But you must believe in one thing to get an apartment in Dyckman. "Good things comes to those that wait (years)".

4) Baruch - Located in the Lower East Side, it's the largest housing project in Manhattan and it's also very quiet at all times. There are always vacanc
ies in Baruch because some people prefer close transportation over peace and quiet. It's also close to supermarkets and a $50 a year city gym. It's also safe and peaceful.

5) Grant - Located in Central Harlem, has a powerfull tenant patrol that keep the housing project clean, safe and quiet at all times. It's near the 125th street shopping area and it also has a housing police preicinct. It's also near all transportation. It is worth the wait for an apartment in Grant.

Warning: Same warning as the warning about the Bronx housing projects except that NYCHA would love to transfer you as soon as possible to the Bronx, Brooklyn or Staten Island if you need a transfer.

The worst housing projects (in numeric order) in Manhattan out of all the other bad ones are:

1) Polo Grounds
2) Rangel
3) Drew Hamilton
4) Jefferson
5) Johnson
5) Wagner
6) Manhattanville
7) Amsterdam
8) Rutger
9) Marble Hill (Marble Hill is located at the northern tip of Manhattan)

I can't school you about housing projects in other boroughs because I only lived in housing projects in the Bronx and Manhattan.....

Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,477 times
Hey I heard Issac Houses in Manhattan is pretty quiet. There's also a building on 24th street between 2nd and 3rd avenue. I think it's called Nathan Strauss Houses. The Robert Fulton houses in Chelsea are also pretty quiet.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 14,484 times
What are the best NYCHA developments in Queens?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denise1225 View Post
What are the best NYCHA developments in Queens?
Forest Hills and Pomonok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City