Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM

84 posts, read 244,382 times

Advertisements

I usually go to the stop and shop that's on Northen Blvd and 48 st but I wanted to see if anyone knows of a good market where I can buy cheap vegetables and groceries.
I hear the chinese ones are cheap but I also hear concerns about their cleaness.
I drive so anything within 10-15 mins of LIC is fine with me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
A few suggestions in Astoria:

United Brothers Fruit - Astoria - Astoria, NY
Elliniki Agora - Astoria - Astoria, NY

Also, Berry Fresh Farm is a decent place both for veggies and regular groceries AND they have a free parking lot. Berry Fresh Farm - Astoria - Astoria, NY

I also have a hard time with the lack of cleanliness in Chinese markets, but perhaps this one might be better -- not sure, and have not made it there yet. Skyfoods Mart - Elmhurst - Elmhurst, NY

There are also a few places near 61st st in Woodside that look pretty good but I have only been to a few of them once just to pick up one or two items and can't remember how the quality is. Dollar & Up Fruit And Vegetable - Woodside - Woodside, NY Jin's Big Apple - Woodside - Woodside, NY

Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 AM

Sorry, I just re-read your post and now see you're looking for cheap veggies and groceries, not just veggies. I think Berry Fresh Farm would be your best bet if you want to do one-stop shopping. You could also check Best Yet market in Astoria (free parking lot) although I think Berry Fresh probably has better prices.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Costco in LIC has good quality and reasonable priced fruits and veggies.
I don't like chinese markets for the very same reason you point out. And even though they usually have cheaper prices for fresh produce, their quality is sub-standard,

Astoria in general has prices that are above average for queens, but I have not tried the markets Henna is suggesting. I might go to berry fresh tonight as I'm preparing for my 4hr cooking session tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Trader Joe's in Rego Park also wouldn't be a bad drive from LIC but only for groceries, not produce, as their produce isn't so great and not so cheap. But you can get good prices on a range of other things like dairy and staples. You might be able to scout some other places out for produce in the area when you drive back and forth.

I am not sure of the driving directions from LIC, but I have seen some produce markets while driving on the way back to my neighborhood from Trader Joes, such as one at 55-07 69th St. and another at 7412 Metropolitan Ave in Middle Village. I have no idea what the quality is like as I've never been in either one, but I suspect Likeminas is correct that prices might be lower in neighborhoods other than Astoria. Also, people who live in Middle Village and Maspeth are not as likely to be posting reviews of the produce places in their neighborhoods (this is not the demographic that uses yelp as much as Astorians do) so you are probably not going to be able to find reviews of these places online.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM

84 posts, read 244,382 times
Thanks Henna, I will take a look at those places.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-wheels View Post
I usually go to the stop and shop that's on Northen Blvd and 48 st but I wanted to see if anyone knows of a good market where I can buy cheap vegetables and groceries.
I hear the chinese ones are cheap but I also hear concerns about their cleaness.
I drive so anything within 10-15 mins of LIC is fine with me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Our Markets | GrowNYC

Unfortunately, in Queens, there is only one market open year round (Jackson Heights), but in season, you may enjoy

Socrates Sculpture Park Greenmarket | GrowNYC

Astoria Greenmarket | GrowNYC

Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Our Markets | GrowNYC

Unfortunately, in Queens, there is only one market open year round (Jackson Heights), but in season, you may enjoy

Socrates Sculpture Park Greenmarket | GrowNYC

Astoria Greenmarket | GrowNYC
I agree these markets are fantastic (especially the Jackson Heights one which as a large number of vendors and products) but I would never describe them as cheap.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree these markets are fantastic (especially the Jackson Heights one which as a large number of vendors and products) but I would never describe them as cheap.
Frankly, I'm at a loss to comprehend what you all mean by "cheap".

What is cheap, examples?

For me, quality and organic is most important.

United Brothers is "cheap"? Seems fairly normal to me.

Cheapest w/b bulk buying at Costco, no?

Anyway, if quality and/or organic is a priority, some of you might be interested in a food coop:

About Us | Queens Harvest Food Coop

And/or you may find Community Supported Agriculture/Buying Clubs interesting:

WHAT IS CSA? | Just Food

CSAs in Queens, New York - Farm Direct Produce

Long Island City CSA

Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Definitely not cheap. I like shopping there, but it's a luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City