Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 PM

84 posts, read 244,298 times

Advertisements

wife says that one of the things that she really dislikes about NY is that most apartments don't have a washing machine inside the apt (unless, of course you're in a luxury apt) and believes this is an uncivilized practice where she's from (Europe) all rentals come with their own washing machine and dryer.

What is it with this practice of sharing a room of washing machines on the building or not having any at all?

And also, has anybody tried sneaking in a portable washing machine in their apt?

I'm thinking that if it's a large building, management won't notice, but since we live in a private multi-family house the water bill will give us away pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-wheels View Post
wife says that one of the things that she really dislikes about NY is that most apartments don't have a washing machine inside the apt (unless, of course you're in a luxury apt) and believes this is an uncivilized practice where she's from (Europe) all rentals come with their own washing machine and dryer.

What is it with this practice of sharing a room of washing machines on the building or not having any at all?

And also, has anybody tried sneaking in a portable washing machine in their apt?

I'm thinking that if it's a large building, management won't notice, but since we live in a private multi-family house the water bill will give us away pretty soon.
How would you dry the laundry?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM

84 posts, read 244,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
How would you dry the laundry?
cloths rack on the bathtube should do it.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I have a portable washer in the apartment. It is the greatest. When I have the huge bath towels, and flannel sheets, those I take to the laundromat, to wash.

But general clothing can be washed really good in a portable. I do several washes at a time if need be, then when done, I disconnect iot and put the washer back in its spot.

I have a clothesline out my kitchen window connected to a huge iron ladder (4 stories high, I am on the 4th) in the courtyard, as everyone else does here.
But in the winter i have the folding racks (2) that i use to dry the clothes, and i put them in front of the radiator in the living room, which is out of the way from the TV and where we walk, so they are not a bother.
they dry fast there, so it is not a problem.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-wheels View Post

So, you're proposing STEALING hot water from the LL, is that it? Some of you poor assed people are moraless!!

I hope you are prepared to pay the damages (along with being evicted), when the machine overflows, the hose breaks or comes lose, the el cheapo machine springs a leak, etc....

Damages to the tenant below, for his personal effects, and damages to the LL for both apartments, plus....

As far as your wife, make you both happy, and move to a more "civilized" building; that, or planes leave for "civilied" Europe everyday.

Btw, how do you plan on drying the clothes?

Oh, and someone is likely to rat you out anyway. I would. You do realize that a washing machine will make noise and vibration!! Which will disturb your neighbors.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM

Oh, forgot,

What's your plan for when your neighbors start to complain to the LL, that the hot water keeps running out? That they have to take cold showers, wash their dishes with cold water, etc.

Then the LL sends the Super around to inspect, looking for washers, dishwashers, etc.; and/or ask tenants if they know of anyone like you, in the building? Do they hear anyone running a machine?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Only as far as hot water is concerned, you can set the washer to cold wash. Most clothes should be cold washed under gentle cycles anyway. Hot water is normally used for soiled/heavy items like towels, sheets and rags and better done in the laundromat.

I can't comment about hoses breaking and water leaking down to neighbors. I am not aware if a lot of portable machines do this.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
People sneak washing machines into my building but unfortunately the water system isn't designed to handle them. As a result, on occasion I have to tolerate the complete loss of either hot or cold water. So far, it's been on the weekends and has been only a minor inconvenience -- but it would be a problem if it happened on a workday morning. There is a reason washing machines are prohibited in some buildings. Of course, many people could care less about how their actions effect others.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
People sneak washing machines into my building but unfortunately the water system isn't designed to handle them. As a result, on occasion I have to tolerate the complete loss of either hot or cold water. So far, it's been on the weekends and has been only a minor inconvenience -- but it would be a problem if it happened on a workday morning. There is a reason washing machines are prohibited in some buildings. Of course, many people could care less about how their actions effect others.
PRECISELY!

So, I guess you lose "cold water", because your building has low water pressure.

In old buildings (those which prohit washers), built before latter building codes, the pipes can be quite narrow (and often lead pipes), as they were designed to bring a minimal level of water into the buildings/apts. Note, these buildings were built BEFORE it became popular to take SHOWERS!!! Also, before it became popular for poor/working people to bath/submerged into a bathtub more than once a month or once a week!

In effect, these OLD buildings were built BEFORE the standard of cleanliness rose to *modern* standards. Many of these older rental buildings, particularly in Queens (Astoria) have NEVER been updated/renovated/modernized.

Also, in these old buildings, the piping is not only narrow, BUT also, over the decades, the inside of the pipes develop a residue, which builds and builds, resulting in an ever narowing circumference and lower and lower water flow.

ALSO, the electrical wiring and building capacity is a GREAT factor!!

Sneaking a machine in, is a good way to **** off your LL, Super, and everyone else in the building, every time your machine blows a fuse/circuit! If your building has NEVER been updated, then the wiring CANNOT handle the load of YOUR machine, let alone, OTHER machines in the building!

Air conditioners are the great culprit in this regard. Some buildings prohit a/c; and/or regulate the btu size.

If the wiring has not been modernized, then it is a certainty that the fuses are congregated in a fuse box in the BASEMENT; which means ONLY the Super has access! So, every time you blow the fuse, not only must the super be informed, and physically replace the fuse, BUT the LL incurs COST!!!! No way to *hide* it.

NOTE, in some of these old buildings, there is a *main* fuse between the outside line and the buildings wiring. These are LARGE fuses, which can OVERHEAT!! They also can *blow*, and, again, only the Super can replace them. They are also EXPENSIVE!! Again, it cannot be hid from the LL.

Now, it may very well occur, depending on the buildings wiring, that your machine might blow the electricity for the ENTIRE building; and/or just the apartments in your *line*.

Note, even if your building has been modernized, the question then, is whether your LL went to the expense of wiring and placing Circuits and Cirucuit BOXES in each individual apartment. In which case, the tenant can personally flip the circuit switch.

If the LL chose to congregate the circuit switches in the basement, then again, it will require the Super's intervention, each time yiu blow a circuit.

So, placing modern appliances in such buildings causes MANY issues and problems, which is why they are banned.

If you live in a pre war building built for less than the 'middle class' of either the Victorian and/or Art Deco era, then you likely are experiencing some level of the above.

OP, if modern luxury is not in the present picture, I suggest you seek out "post war" Modernist and/or luxry buildings. Many of these buildings were designed with *common* laundry rooms. This is likely the best to be done on a relatively affordable budget.

Some *might* allow personal washers; but, not many. This is where a *good* broker comes in handy! Also, your best bet w/b to find a coop rental in a non luxury building; it is a good bet that the plumbing AND electrical will have been updated, consequently, washers, etc., are allowed.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Coltrane got all worked up (as usual) for no good reason. The OP clearly stated that he's living in a multi-family house. He's not likely to do this as the water bill will give them away.
In any case, I agree with the OP's wife. The fact that most buildings don't allow you to have your own washing machine or don't have laundry room at all, is not exactly what I would consider a first-world practice.

OP if you lived in a large building I can see you getting away with this, but not in a private house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City