Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:10 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I agree with the poster who says it's probably better not to demolish the projects, since the likely result would be the destabilization of existing working class areas. If for anything, there should be more set asides within the public housing system for homeless transitional housing to get people off the street. NYCHA should be reserved as a saftey net for those who truly have no where else to go (Mentally ill for example), not a permanent entitlement.
The projects are working class? More like the moocher class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The projects are working class? More like the moocher class
Well, my Dad raised us in a project in Manhattan (not naming which one), but he wasn't a moocher - he was a US marine who fought in Vietnam and had worked for the MTA for 30 years after he came out, and later retired on a full pension. My mom currently lives on his pension as he passed away.

My brother has his own business after having left the NYPD (and now lives in his own home in California - bought with his own money).

As for me, I just finished a Masters degree in computer science two months ago from Columbia University. (No loans - my job paid for it entirely ).

Oh, and I live alone in Manhattan in a regular building.

So I don't know what you mean by, "moocher class" but it is possible to be successful having lived in da' projects - and I have no regrets at all as far as that part of my life is concerned.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:54 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
It would free up a lot of development space. Question is where will all those people go ?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:19 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Well, my Dad raised us in a project in Manhattan (not naming which one)
I'm trying to understand what 20-30 years ago has anything to do with today

Old 07-17-2015, 08:24 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I think the tenants should be incorporated into low, government housing mixed in with everyone else. Build smaller, buildings or designate certain apartments within existing buildings as "government housing units." A lot of the housing projects could be razed and the property could be much denser, with market rate and affordable, and even government units mixed in.

I think they key here is to not segregate these government-dependent people, because these pockets of public housing cause values to decline and can be crime havens (not all of course). There are some great people living in them, and not all are there because they are lazy and/or milking the system.

I think we maintain/keep the government units of housing, just mixed in with regular housing in the boroughs. Raze and/or renovate the existing housing and intermix the government homes.

Maybe this idea has already been thrown out there time and again, but isn't feasible for some reason?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:52 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
^ because no one when given the choice wants to live near lowlives. And the risk is too high that agreeing with a plan like yours entails lowlives moving in next door with all of the incumbent issues.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:32 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Well, my Dad raised us in a project in Manhattan (not naming which one), but he wasn't a moocher - he was a US marine who fought in Vietnam and had worked for the MTA for 30 years after he came out, and later retired on a full pension. My mom currently lives on his pension as he passed away.

My brother has his own business after having left the NYPD (and now lives in his own home in California - bought with his own money).

As for me, I just finished a Masters degree in computer science two months ago from Columbia University. (No loans - my job paid for it entirely ).

Oh, and I live alone in Manhattan in a regular building.

So I don't know what you mean by, "moocher class" but it is possible to be successful having lived in da' projects - and I have no regrets at all as far as that part of my life is concerned.
The vast majority of people in the projects are on some kind of government assistance. The projects are not "working class", they are low class despite a few rare exceptions. There's really no denying that.

Yes, many people in the projects may hold a little service/retail job but they still mostly receive govt assistance.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

I think the tenants should be incorporated into low, government housing mixed
in with everyone else.
I guess that is the goal of 80/20 housing and the like.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:44 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I'm trying to understand what 20-30 years ago has anything to do with today
I don't know - is it really any different today? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just haven't been invited to a housing project for years now.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
I don't know - is it really any different today? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just haven't been invited to a housing project for years now.
I have never been in one except to cut through the grounds...like from Third to Second at 101st St to get to Cherry Valley Supermarket. (I like to walk up Third because Second is a filthy construction site with narrow sidewalks (single file) and multiple detours back and forth.
Walking Second Ave. is a pain in the ass in this heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City