Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Museum courses - most of them have some offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd777 View Post
So it looks like meetup.com is the best avenue. My problem is I am very conscious of going to a meetup alone. I know I shouldn't but I feel anxious walking into a meetup alone where most people know each other and I don't know anyone. But I think I should try.
I hope you try it! I like going to Meetups myself. The vast majority of my close friends live outside the metro area. We met in college and spread literally throughout the world after graduation. I'm the only one who wound up in New York City. I understand how difficult it can be to open up and make new friends because I've struggled with it myself. I joined some Meetup groups for people with similar interests and age group to me. There's one group in particular I like, that attends happy hours and schedules brunches. It's fun and there are new faces each time.Look for Meetup groups that are specifically about meeting new people

Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,761 times
Floyd

Check out OpenMyNetwork.com. We aim to connect people with others in places they wish to relocate or travel to. Good luck man!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,171 times
Default Try These or Create Your Own!

I think Meetup is great for anyone new in town. You never have to feel weird or shy about going alone. It wasn't around when I first came to town so so remember how difficult it was to meet people beyond my college friends and coworkers circles.

Haven't been to all these personally, but here are my favorite Meetup groups

If you are outgoing and looking for a mega group with lots of members, try Random Events http://www.randomeventsny.com
If you are a thrillseeker, try NY WannaDo NY Wanna Do
If you are into foreign/independent flicks, try Culture Film Club http://www.culturefilmclub.org/
If you are into a smaller group feel and eclectic events, try SILLY DATE/

There is a group for any interest and there is something going on everyday - especially here in NYC! And if you can't find one, there is always creating your own group and waiting for people to come to you !

Last edited by Hannah360; 02-22-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 PM

123 posts, read 176,783 times
A lot of people go to meetups alone and mingle. I've had a 99% success rate with it. I'll check out the aforementioned links too. Not good to place all your eggs in one basket!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:27 PM

39 posts, read 81,718 times
hmm...I try to stay away from my coworkers...It's good to be friend with them in the work place, but bring them to private life is another thing. Or it's just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
What's wrong with the people at your job if you're employed? Also what are things that you like and into truly.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM

39 posts, read 81,718 times
agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Any activities or hobbies? Join a group!
No hobbies? Develop some!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM

11 posts, read 14,962 times
Try getting involved in New York Cares (NYcares.org) - a lot of people attend group projects alone so you won't feel anxious, and the more you meet up with the same people during ongoing projects, the more you'll start to develop some friendships.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
It'll be perfect going to Meetup alone, because you have a perfect way to start chatting: "Hi, I've never been to these before, so it feels a little awkward. Is it okay to sit here? Have you been part of this group for a long time?"

And check out non-Meetup groups - dining clubs, cooking classes, reading groups, hiking clubs. If you get some memberships to things, like art museums, you'll be invited to their events.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
I can imagine being LONELY in NYC but I can't imagine ever being BORED.

New York Tours & Things to Do in New York City | Viator.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: