U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 18,600 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I recently received a Fare Evasion ticket for going through the emergency doors in times square. However, the only reason I went through the doors was because I was swiping my unlimited metro card multiple times but it wouldn't process. I tried a different turnstile and it said just used. I took this as my fare was paid, so I'll walk through the doors.

The cops spotted me and wrote me up a ticket for fare evasion. I explained to them that I paid my fare but the turnstile did not work, so I thought it would be fine to go through the emergency doors. This was an entry were there is no station booth or mta attendees to speak to. Although, I explained my story, he said I should have gone to another station, but this is nonsensical to me - my fare was paid. If I had luggage or a stroller for example, the only option would be to pay the fare and go through the doors, so i don't understand how my situation is much different.

I would like to fight the ticket, but was hoping to get advice from people. Do you all think I was in the wrong, or were the cops just being hardasses. I would like to get my metro card history from mta's automated fare collection data records. Does anyone know what the best possible way is to do this. If I can get this document, I can prove that I did pay for my fare. Please let me know what you all think is the best course of action and if you think I have a chance in court.

Thanks for all your input.

Best,
G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,930,283 times
There's only one type of advice for your situation:
pay the ticket.

For future reference.

1) ask the booth attendant.
2) walk to a different station
3) wait 18 mins
4) consider other transportation methods (ie take the bus)

All of which would've been cheaper than getting a ticket.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM

2,020 posts, read 2,886,394 times
Gotta remember cops here these stories all the time. Why should they believe you and not everybody else?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 18,600 times
My response to the first post: I wasn't able to ask a booth attendant, as it was an entry where there is none. There is no way I would have known that "I should have walked to another station". It's not like the MTA advertises this claim and I have never received a ticket prior to this in order to know such a thing. I could have waited 18 minutes, but my fare was paid, and that should hold up. Always taking the bus is not an option in the city.

Second Response: They should have swiped my metrocard once more and they would have seen that it said just used. Plus, I have an unlimited, I pay the MTA upfront each month. They already have my money.

Lastly, I was hoping to get my metro card history from mta's automated fare collection data records. That would show that my fair was paid a few minutes before I received the ticket. Again, does anybody know how I would obtain that information?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM

215 posts, read 457,531 times
Unfortunately, you are not allowed to do this. It is only fine to exit through emergency doors, otherwise they assume you have not paid your fare.

When the same thing happened to me I just bought a one-ride ticket. **** happens.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,294,379 times
Well, according to the MTA rules, you can't enter the system even if it's a problem on their end with the turnstile. If you get a judge who's really strict and likes to go by the book, then you're screwed. Believe me, you have my (and probably most of the members on here) sympathies, but even if you get the document, there's a chance you could still get a ticket.

I remember somebody mentioning something about being able to check your balance online or something. You can look on the MTA website. They also have a number you can call (there's 511, and I remember one of their numbers being (718)-330-1234).

I wish you the best.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM

39 posts, read 62,097 times
This happened to me on the 34th St. Station after shopping. I argued with the officer because I just didnít get it. How could a person with a working unlimited metro card not pay their fare? . I thought this was making sense to him when he swiped my card and saw it was just used. But he wrote the ticket and said I was guilty of going through anillegal entry. He took my ID and a PBA card fell out of my wallet. He laughed and said I should have shown it to him earlier. He didn't care because he made his quota. I got very upset. Called him stupid and other bad names in Spanish. Then realized his name was Officer Rodriguez. He threatened to arrest me with the homeless guys he picked up. I saw them in a corner handcuffed and ran out of there. I did the MTA court thing, missed work, showed up a couple times with a report of my card that I got from a friend. Finally I'm getting justice. I testify in front of a judge an MTA judge. Guilty for going through an illegalentry to the subway. Just pay the fine. Itís not worth the grief

Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdominican View Post
Hello All,

I recently received a Fare Evasion ticket for going through the emergency doors in times square. However, the only reason I went through the doors was because I was swiping my unlimited metro card multiple times but it wouldn't process. I tried a different turnstile and it said just used. I took this as my fare was paid, so I'll walk through the doors.
You just have to continue swiping at the same turnstile. If you try another turnstile it will charge you a second fare if it is a pay-per-ride card. (Since your card said "used" I assume it was an unlimited one.) As already mentioned your best option if there is no MTA attendant nearby is simply to buy a single fare metrocard or pay another fare on a pay-per-ride card in order not to be seen as a fare-evader and risk getting a ticket.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM

134 posts, read 227,988 times
This is horsesheet. Just accept defeat due to imperfections of the MTA?

I'm sure there is a log record for every swipe of the card. And since, it's already been paid I don't see why the cops and MTA have to be lazy *****s about it and issue a ticket.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,251,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdominican View Post
My response to the first post: I wasn't able to ask a booth attendant, as it was an entry where there is none.
You said it happened in Times Square. You could have gone to an entrance with an attendant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or