Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM

9 posts, read 11,229 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted to graduate school at Columbia University. It's been quite a dream of mine to attend but it comes with a hefty price tag and the cost of living in NYC is unnerving. My field of study is not particularly lucrative either. Because of the financial risk, I want to make sure I am making the right decision--especially since I will be very far from family and friends. Don't mistaken me for a sheltered person--I've backpacked through SE Asia by myself and have traveled to Japan and South Korea on my own. However, I've lived in a small town in the South for the majority of my life and have grown comfortable with its' quietness, hospitality, and relatively cheap living. I'm nervous about managing the complex subway system because I don't have a good sense of direction. I'm afraid the cost of living is going to kill me-I want to live in a clean place within walking distance to campus. If I'm lost, I want to be able to ask random people on the street for directions without attitude. I've only been to NYC three times for short business trips and it's not in my budget to visit. I'd like to think NYC has it all and I should seize the opportunity to have the NY experience while I'm young, but I know it's not all glitz as the media perceive it to be and there's a lot of sacrifices involved. Is NYC going to be too much for me to handle? Is Columbia worth the grimes of NYC? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Columbia grad and long time NYC resident here.Honestly,you don't sound suited.Some other place might be a better fit.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Only you can really answer this. What someone considers worth something another does not.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM

420 posts, read 805,181 times
From your post I am gathering that you will be taking out student loans to earn a degree in a field that does not gaurantee a job and good income...why on earth would you do that? There are lots of people who have taken out $100,000+ for an undergrad degree in fields that don't lead to employment after graduation and end up working at Starbucks, hopelessly stuck as interest acumulates on their loans. Don't be one of them.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times
Only you can answer that question. Not everybody is nice on the streets- I'm sure if you asked for directions someone would help, but for every nice person you find you will probably come across 2-3 who refuse to help or aren't pleasant about it. NYC is a very fast moving city- people don't stand in line at the store and chat like I've seen in smaller towns. It's very much get in, get out, be on your way etc. The subway isn't as hard as it might seem and there are plenty of subway maps/iphone apps etc. The cost of living is super high- if you want a nice place within walking distance (assuming you will be living alone not with roommates) figure on around $2000 a month for rent, minimum. Plus another $1500-2000 a month to cover utilities, and the rest of your expenses/food.

You need tough skin to live in NYC. I love the city but I'm also a born and raised NY'er who absolutely cannot stand how slow the pace of life is in the south. It's a very different mindset.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
Well, one can dismiss the small town and money stuff as a concern- many make it work- the concerning statement is wanting to live within walking distance in a clean spot - places near Columbia will be pricey and many grad students live subway rides away or even in the suburbs. Cheap apts aren't clean anywhere in Manhattan.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM

9 posts, read 11,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
Only you can answer that question. Not everybody is nice on the streets- I'm sure if you asked for directions someone would help, but for every nice person you find you will probably come across 2-3 who refuse to help or aren't pleasant about it. NYC is a very fast moving city- people don't stand in line at the store and chat like I've seen in smaller towns. It's very much get in, get out, be on your way etc. The subway isn't as hard as it might seem and there are plenty of subway maps/iphone apps etc. The cost of living is super high- if you want a nice place within walking distance (assuming you will be living alone not with roommates) figure on around $2000 a month for rent, minimum. Plus another $1500-2000 a month to cover utilities, and the rest of your expenses/food.

You need tough skin to live in NYC. I love the city but I'm also a born and raised NY'er who absolutely cannot stand how slow the pace of life is in the south. It's a very different mindset.
That was helpful; thank you! The problem is-- I've never lived anywhere else except the South. I think I'm a much more progressive, cultured, and fast-paced than many people in my area. The backwardness of the South is pretty disheartening sometimes. I just want to make sure my fears of NYC are legitimate and not simply because I'm personally scared of moving away and being alone in the city. Unlike many people that are passionate about the city, I'm actually more interested in Columbia and that would be my main reason to move.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiawoolf View Post
I was recently accepted to graduate school at Columbia University. It's been quite a dream of mine to attend but it comes with a hefty price tag and the cost of living in NYC is unnerving. My field of study is not particularly lucrative either. Because of the financial risk, I want to make sure I am making the right decision--especially since I will be very far from family and friends. Don't mistaken me for a sheltered person--I've backpacked through SE Asia by myself and have traveled to Japan and South Korea on my own. However, I've lived in a small town in the South for the majority of my life and have grown comfortable with its' quietness, hospitality, and relatively cheap living. I'm nervous about managing the complex subway system because I don't have a good sense of direction. I'm afraid the cost of living is going to kill me-I want to live in a clean place within walking distance to campus. If I'm lost, I want to be able to ask random people on the street for directions without attitude. I've only been to NYC three times for short business trips and it's not in my budget to visit. I'd like to think NYC has it all and I should seize the opportunity to have the NY experience while I'm young, but I know it's not all glitz as the media perceive it to be and there's a lot of sacrifices involved. Is NYC going to be too much for me to handle? Is Columbia worth the grimes of NYC? Thanks for your time.
Which other schools offered you admission?

Perhaps a school in a smaller, cleaner city would be better for you.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM

4,509 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Why would a college student live without roommates. Also if expenses is a major concern is it not possible to work part time and / or live in a decent part of the bronx?

I don't think you should take into consideration that you are "from the south". If you've backbacked through asia how can you bypass COLUMBIA! and NYC?! Even with average sub-mid class salaries debt is easy to pay off (or avoid entirely) if you focus on it.

Whatever you are looking to get a grad in NYC should be a great place to gainfully employ it.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,472 times
The city is full of bullies and turnstile jumpers. Better to stay down south and enjoy that chicken fried steak and sweet tea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: