Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
My question exactly. Astoria is VASTLY better.

This is not a good area. If you want to move to Harlem, this is not the area to choose. We could not wait to get out. Even if it "looks" okay, it is not, as we found out once moved there. The quality of life issues and attitudes of many of the area residents are unbearable.

Londel's changed and it is not nearly as good as it once was. We stopped going, even though my significant other is a Harlem native (WEST Harlem) and has known Londel forever.

Agree about Spoonbread. In fact ... is it even still open ?! Hard to believe.

The church has relatively little influence except to make excuses for the adolescents who shoot at people or sell drugs or behave in other equally anti-social ways.
That's good to know. How about Hamilton Heights around the river and 150-th?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM

912 posts, read 2,089,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromastoria View Post
That's the ghetto

Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM

911 posts, read 1,124,948 times
Quote:
We love Astoria and have been renting here for two years, but we're looking to purchase a condo and it's pretty expensive around our neighborhood. There are a couple of other neighborhoods we're looking into, but I know the least about Central Harlem. Further west in Harlem around Hamilton Heights is another option.
Have you considered a Co-Op? The ones in Astoria might be in your price range. If you've have enough of a downpayment, and both of you have steady jobs, you shouldn't have problems with most of the Co-Op boards in the neighborhood. Naturally, I'd rather buy a Condo than a Co-op, but if given the choice between owning a Condo in Harlem or a Co-op in Astoria, i'd choose the Co-op in Astoria.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,881,794 times
Quote:
Do you mean RSD ?
Broadway is really seedy. We had friends living on 148th off RSD, a great apartment but zero amenities - although I think a new place opened in the last few months - and they could not take the neighborhood quality-of-life issues.
If you don't care about amenities, Convent up there is much nicer.
There are two recently bought buildings on St. N. Terrace and 128th, the re-done apartments are nice, restaurant a block away and FDB is a short walk. And the subway is right there. They are around $1,800 I think for two bedrooms. One of the buildings might have had washer-dryers in the apartments.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,836,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Spoonbread is far from delightful. The food quality is sub par and the service is excruciatingly slow.
This is so true.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
DAS

Quote:
Do you mean RSD ?
Broadway is really seedy. We had friends living on 148th off RSD, a great apartment but zero amenities - although I think a new place opened in the last few months - and they could not take the neighborhood quality-of-life issues.
If you don't care about amenities, Convent up there is much nicer.
There are two recently bought buildings on St. N. Terrace and 128th, the re-done apartments are nice, restaurant a block away and FDB is a short walk. And the subway is right there. They are around $1,800 I think for two bedrooms. One of the buildings might have had washer-dryers in the apartments.
I love how you refer to Convent like the OP can just walk along Convent Ave and find a vacant apt. Apts are very hard to come by on Convent. 150th area is good and getting better all the time. More ammenities up there now. An internet cafe, a sports bar, a few restaurants. Columbia's residential tower coming soon coming on 148th and Broadway. If you are in the subway stations of St Nicholas and 145th or Broadway and and 145th during rush hour, you would think the area is mostly White now.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I love how you refer to Convent like the OP can just walk along Convent Ave and find a vacant apt.
Really ?! How did I do that, exactly. I did mention Convent. Ah, I see, do not mention Convent.

No problem. Everyone ! Disregard my mention of Convent Avenue. It is NOT AT ALL possible to get apartments on Convent ! Not. At. All. You should instead move to the areas the above poster advocates.

In any case. Many people have not enjoyed the quality-of life challenges of RSD-Broadway-Amsterdam above, I dunno, 125th or so. But everyone should help themselves.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM
DAS

Quote:
Really ?! How did I do that, exactly. I did mention Convent. Ah, I see, do not mention Convent.

No problem. Everyone ! Disregard my mention of Convent Avenue. It is NOT AT ALL possible to get apartments on Convent ! Not. At. All. You should instead move to the areas the above poster advocates.

In any case. Many people have not enjoyed the quality-of life challenges of RSD-Broadway-Amsterdam above, I dunno, 125th or so. But everyone should help themselves.
LOL. I'm actually surprised you recommend any streets in Harlem at all. I find your post very interesting, and usually truthful, even if you only tend to see things one way, and not the whole picture. But I can never figure out why you continue to live in Harlem but dislike it so much. It is definitely not cheap any more.

But getting back to your post, one of the few streets (Convent Ave) you do recommend is one of the best ones in Harlem, and always has been. It is also absolutely, positively, and always has been on of the hardest to move on to. Not impossible but definetly not easy. Convent Ave is the magnet that draws people to Hamilton Heights. It has always maintained it's beauty through the heroin days, into the crack era, and now beyond her beauty shines on.

I do like that building you are recommending on St Nicholas Terrace also. Has that area changed alot? It used to be that it was easier to get robbed over there because you are cut off by the Park and kind of isolated. But that may be an outdated thought like your description of 150's Bway. Yes I am being sarcastic but I would also really like to know.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
LOL. I'm actually surprised you recommend any streets in Harlem at all. I find your post very interesting, and usually truthful, even if you only tend to see things one way, and not the whole picture. But I can never figure out why you continue to live in Harlem but dislike it so much. It is definitely not cheap any more.

But getting back to your post, one of the few streets (Convent Ave) you do recommend is one of the best ones in Harlem, and always has been. It is also absolutely, positively, and always has been on of the hardest to move on to. Not impossible but definetly not easy. Convent Ave is the magnet that draws people to Hamilton Heights. It has always maintained it's beauty through the heroin days, into the crack era, and now beyond her beauty shines on.

I do like that building you are recommending on St Nicholas Terrace also. Has that area changed alot? It used to be that it was easier to get robbed over there because you are cut off by the Park and kind of isolated. But that may be an outdated thought like your description of 150's Bway. Yes I am being sarcastic but I would also really like to know.
Well ... it is chang-ING. In my opinion, the Columbia project will have a major impact on everything west of the park, which includes St. Nicholas Terrace. Most people in the neighborhood think that things are getting worse, and will worsen, before they get better - some kind of final stand or something. I am one of the few people who actually sees the other side, how some of the troublemakers might be feeling. The buyer of the Terrace buildings is very aggressively attempting to improve things. But there are a few awful buildings, not kept up, lots of anti-social tenants. Then there is the social-service housing.

I will say about those buildings - first, that they are a decent bargain, the apartments are nice and the area will continue to improve. Second, anyone who rents there should (after signing) investigate their legal rents. All of the rentals in this area are rent controlled or rent stabilized as you probably know.

I did not know that it has been hard to move to Convent. It is probably due to the large number of HDFCs and other co-ops, now that I think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City