Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 AM

63 posts, read 90,192 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and i are currently renting a 1 br in the sutton area. we have a great deal for 650 sq ft one bedroom with good closet space. as of now it is us and the dog but we are planning on starting a family. after looking at homes on LI, we decided it is probably best if we wait and save additional money for our down payment/reserves. we would like to create a custom wardrober with hanging rods and aplace for a tv. the unit would look built in but be portable we received a qoute which we thought was high. any suggestions on where we could have this made at a reasonbale price and/or a store that offers these types of units.

thanks

rsd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
It's not gonna come cheap and is not gonna look right as a portable that LOOKS (vaguely) like a built in.
Give Gothic Millwork a call. Their stuff isn't as nice as a designer's work but their prices will not be high.

Why not search the web for some pre-builts where the prices will be a lot lower, if not as nice.

I will mention the three initials guaranteed to strike fear into your heart: DIY? (I'm thinking along the same lines for an immense audio video storage cabinet for DVD's, VHS, and CD's on a long hallway wall.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-03-2013 at 08:15 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Fanuka, inc.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 AM

63 posts, read 90,192 times
Not very hadny to begin with so doubt i would be very good at milling wood....we did go to gothic and it was very nice however a little bit out of our budget for a rental. the designer did say that we would be able to transport to our next stop. no premade furniture that meets our specs however we di find this...little cheesey

Aventa Wardrobe Wall Units for Bedroom | Custom Bedroom Wall Units

fanuka looks like it is out of our price range

Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'd second Gothic. The New York Times did a very nice article on it a few years ago. I'm having problems posting the link for you, but you can look it up.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 AM

The Aventa is nice but stike me as a bit overpriced (I'm a cheapskate.) I wouldnt spend 2 grand on gussied removable pressboard.

I think you might be able to get the same sort of thing a little more downscale looking but a LOT cheaper at, get ready for 4 more ugly letters, I K E A . They have these put-togethers where you can pick and choose small units fit your needs suit your needs (add 2 SVENSKAS to 3 DVBORBIKS and a KALIDNA and voila.)

Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,147 times
Saw the mention of our Aventa units here and just wanted to say thanks for looking at us.

Just for the record, our material is a thermally fused melamine, which will not delaminate overtime like cheap fiberboard.

I'm not a sales guy so I won't offer you a whole pitch, but I will mention one selling point that's especially relevant to NYC residents.

As we make each piece to order at our factory showroom in Passaic, NJ (only a few miles from Manhattan) and deliver with our own teams, there's no delivery fee to NYC or our immediate area in northeastern NJ.

So for the prices you see, not only are you getting the ability to order any piece in any finish or color you can think of, but you are saving yourself the time & aggravation of building the thing, as we bring it in and set it up for free to NYC.

And our furniture does include a lifetime warranty, because we know that if you ever decide to move it will be as sturdy as new afterwards, which is not usually true of RTA furniture.

Disclaimer: Non New Yorkers should note that outside of NYC and our immediate corner of NJ, we do have to charge for delivery & setup.

Thanks again for looking,
--Chris

Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 PM

No delivery charge for NYC is s a VERY nice selling point. (Do you charge sales tax?)

I didn't realize these were made to order.
So we send you a spec sheet and you give us a quote to make it?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No delivery charge for NYC is s a VERY nice selling point. (Do you charge sales tax?)

I didn't realize these were made to order.
So we send you a spec sheet and you give us a quote to make it?
Nope. No sales tax to NYC.

As a NJ company, we must collect NJ sales tax on anything we deliver within NJ or picked up from our showroom. Anywhere else though, no sales tax for now.

So far as ordering goes, there's what we loosely call "standard" (the sizes and configurations seen on the website) and then there's custom (everything else).

What we try and do is put up a wide range of these standard pieces that will accommodate a broad range of spaces and room sizes.

Clicking on any particular product shows the options available for the "standard" pieces.

The case finish can be any of several choices, the front material can be one of these same finishes or glossy black/white, mirrored, or any of 24 colors of colored glass. The last choice is handle options.

So any single standard piece can be ordered in well over 3000 flavors.

The idea is that these standard units represent combinations of common sizes that we can manufacture quickly, thereby keeping prices very reasonable.

Custom specs are no problem. We have design consultants here M-F that will draw up whatever you may need. Custom pieces are quoted individually. They can work with customers over the phone of course, but the nice thing about being in the city is that it's a short hop across the river to our factory showroom, where we have a variety of floor samples to show off some of our capabilities and materials.

Long answer to a short question. Sorry about that, still working on my first cup of coffee

-- Chris

Last edited by Contempo Space; 03-05-2013 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Thank's chris...you are giving me ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City