Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM

123 posts, read 176,639 times

Advertisements

I read earliee that the owner of the BMW who was charged with insurance fraud wont release the name of the driver. Isnt that a crime? or maybe she is protected by 5th amendment)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,058,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook617 View Post
I read earliee that the owner of the BMW who was charged with insurance fraud wont release the name of the driver. Isnt that a crime? or maybe she is protected by 5th amendment)
Where did you hear that? They know who they are looking for . His name is Julio Acevedo and he is 44. A low life with a long rap sheet , including a recent DWI.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,024,183 times
The reason I asked about the BMW was that I was wondering if someone could have seen the license plate or maybe remembered something about a BMW 5 or 7-series that night. Car freaks like me notice these cars & we tend to remember them. What if we saw something about the driver that made them stand out? These things can matter.

Not because it was a German car or whatever. If it were a Maserati or a Lexus LF-A, I'd still be asking the same questions.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,912,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
Hate crime? Why would it be a hate crime?
The BMW driver didn't know the people inside the car
I thought that was what the OP is thinking

Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,902,140 times
Apparently the passengers of the cab didn't have their seatbelts on. Dunno if that would've made a difference.

I also read that they're charging the owner of the car with insurance fraud.
They say that the owner should've notified the ins. company of the additional driver.
I lent my car once to a friend who was gonna pick some furniture from IKEA, does that mean I got to notify my ins company of short trips like this too?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,375,948 times
The reason the registered owner was charged with insurance fraud is because she allegedly gave the car over to a middleman who then rented or lent the car out to the driver. In essence, if the car was not in her possession and control as asserted to the insurance company that covered the vehicle. One can loan your car to someone for a short duration, subject to your individual policy exclusions and limitations, but if a car is bought for someone who cannot get insurance, or used as an underground rental car, for example, that would constitute fraudulent behavior. Also, if the party is a regular driver of the vehicle, as in more than occasional use, they should be named on the policy. The vehicle was also likely not under the registered owner's control as to where it was garaged/parked, per the assertion to the insurance company, which again constitutes fraudulent behavior.

Personally, I do not loan my vehicles to anyone, save for a couple of family members. I just say that it's a policy if someone asks to borrow a vehicle, but I will go with them on their errand if they like, and will let some drive with me in the car. Most people don't react badly if you decline their request, but offer to assist them in their errand. At least if I loan a car to a family member, I know where to find it, and them, should they commit an ultimate sin of parking close to the entrance where the car then gets a scratch from a shopping cart.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,236,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I lent my car once to a friend who was gonna pick some furniture from IKEA, does that mean I got to notify my ins company of short trips like this too?
Why don't you consult the terms of your policy, for answers to this, and other important questions?
"Once"? Isn't that always the occasion, when accidents happen? Just that "one" time?
Perhaps the police have determined, that this was not a one-off borrowing. Perhaps it's a typical straw owner: titling & insuring a car in her own name, for the benefit of an ex-con, who could not afford the insurance his driving record would merit? Perhaps he was on the revoked list; to the detriment of the insurance company, the public, and the victims in this case.

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-05-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,902,140 times
I was just throwing the question out there, of course I can go check my policy. But there's really no need as I don't lend my car to anybody. This was a one time thing, and I did it only because this friend had done a really big favor for me a couple of weeks back.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,326,607 times
They've released the name of the man suspected of the hit and run

Man Linked To Hit-And-Run Deaths Of Parents And Baby Has Long Rap Sheet : The Two-Way : NPR

Newborn baby dies, creating triple tragedy after late-night Brooklyn hit-and-run kills expecting parents - NY Daily News

Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,960,707 times
Sometimes the media is really terrible.
The first time I heard of this incident the news source said the couple were rushing to the hospital and collided with a truck.
Then, the next time, there was another car involved, too; and the truck driver was found to be not at fault and allowed to go his way. The driver of the second car ran.
After that, I learn that the car may have been stolen.
Then, it was suspected that the owner of the car did not have the proper papers of ownership.

I suppose the media just forwards on information as they get it.

I remember that Sandy Hook fiasco with the multiple misdirecting stories of the mother's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City