U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,892 times

Advertisements

Can someone point me in the direction of convenient and quick transportation from New Jersey to the Upper East Side on Manhattan? I'm not from around here. I'm visiting New York later this month. I want to stay across the Hudson River from Manhattan, for example, in Hoboken, Weehawken, or Jersey City. I want to stay (hotel/motel) within walking distance of a subway or commuter train. Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,633,518 times
The problem is that, since NJ is on the west side of the Hudson River, all of the options leave you on the west side of Manhattan.

If you stay near Exchange Place, you can take the PATH to the World Trade Center, and then walk over to Fulton Street/Broadway and catch the Bronx-bound (4) or (5) to the Upper East Side.

If you stay in say, Weehaken or another city like that, you'd have to take a bus to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, walk through a long passageway to take the 42nd Street Shuttle, and then take the Bronx-bound (4), (5), or (6) to the UES.

For Penn Station (if for some reason you end up in Newark or Secaucus), you can either take the Queens-bound (E) to Lexington Avenue and transfer to the Bronx-bound (6) (the passageway between the (E) & (6) is long). Alternatively, you can walk over to 34th Street & 6th Avenue, take the Queens-bound (N), (Q), or (R) to Lexington Avenue, and then transfer to a Bronx-bound (4), (5), or (6). The (6) is upstairs, and the (4) & (5) are downstairs.

Where on the UES are you headed?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM

912 posts, read 1,785,391 times
Why not stay in Queens instead?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 PM

4,148 posts, read 3,158,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylor Williams View Post
I want to stay across the Hudson River from Manhattan, for example, in Hoboken, Weehawken, or Jersey City. I want to stay (hotel/motel) within walking distance of a subway or commuter train.
Bad idea. Long Island City, Astoria, Woodside -- these are much closer to the UES. Bronx and Brooklyn North and Central) too. Jersey is the worst. Don't be surprised if it takes you 1.5 hours on public transportation door-to-door.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 AM

21,474 posts, read 28,343,153 times
The way I always did it while living atop the Newport PATH station in Jersey City was to take the WTC train (World Trade Center), a 7 minute ride.
I would walk across FULTON STREET a long block or two and catch the #4 or #5 train. These are express to the Upper East Side.
For local stops, a switch at Brooklyn Bridge, Union Square (14th St.) or Grand Central entails only a walk across the platform (no steps.)

It's quite easy and rather straightforward..

Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,892 times
Thanks for the replies! It looks like a made a basic error. I said Upper East Side. I meant Upper West Side. My daughter lives a half-a-block west from Central Park on 70th street. I know there are subway trains right nearby her location. What I don't know is how to hook up to them from a hotel in North Bergen, New Jersey. Can you help?

Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,508,860 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! It looks like a made a basic error. I said Upper East Side. I meant Upper West Side. My daughter lives a half-a-block west from Central Park on 70th street. I know there are subway trains right nearby her location. What I don't know is how to hook up to them from a hotel in North Bergen, New Jersey. Can you help?

Thanks again!

Your daughter won't let you stay with her? Just kidding.

There is the ferry from Weekhawken that brings you to around 39th street.

You can also take a bus into Port Authority which provides an easy link to many train lines.

Your daughter is likely near the B/C trains based on your description, but this the 1/2/3 are also just a short walk.

Check out the NJTransit website and you can plug in your addresses to plan your trip:

New Jersey Transit - Home

Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,539,242 times
HopStop gives you inter state transit directions. I plugged in some random point of interest in Jersey City and put the end point as the W80s in NYC and it was accurate in telling me to take the Path to the C.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,508,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
HopStop gives you inter state transit directions. I plugged in some random point of interest in Jersey City and put the end point as the W80s in NYC and it was accurate in telling me to take the Path to the C.

PATH would be great from JC but OP now says she'll be in North Bergen.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 PM

983 posts, read 1,466,468 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
You can also take the light rail to Hoboken and take the PATH in to Manhattan Street and from there take the relevant subway line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City