Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's great for Williamsburg...it's about time.

I actually was in Bed-Stuy last night, and Lewis Avenue looked pretty clean. North of Greene Avenue is where you really see the hood.
Wow, they must've done some cleaning up cause just a year ago or two, the hood atmosphere was evident above Halsey St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Wow, they must've done some cleaning up cause just a year ago or two, the hood atmosphere was evident above Halsey St.
I was impressed. It looked clean.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
And this is exactly why I take issue with people who comment on an area but don't frequent it regularly. I'm not singling you out by the way. It seems almost eveyone on here does this. They will reference safety or amenities but it's from a few years ago. In the past year since I've moved here, I've lost count of the amount of new business that have opened, the new buildings that have gone up, and the brownstones that have been bought, gutted, & renovated. A lot can happen in a year.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM

44 posts, read 142,542 times
I'm moving to the area in a few months (fingers crossed, still navigating the mortgage process with the bank), and I have to second the above statement. Over the past six months, visiting the neighborhood frequently during our home search, I've been consistently (pleasantly) surprised at how nice the area around there is.

jad2k, you actually gave me some neighborhood advice back at the tail end of last year when I posted a question about the area, and I can say, you were absolutely right in everything you posted. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM

105 posts, read 322,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy88 View Post
I hope my question didn't offend you in anyway. Thanks for the respectful response, maybe thats the way the residents I spoke to took the poor service. I also looked them up on yelp and the reviews were similar to what you said. BUT I LOVE thin crust pizza. I will give them a try, I hope I don't like them! I am trying to lose weight and its not good for them to be a block away!!
Saragina is owned by Italians - Like "ciao", not "fuggudaboutit" - and I think they just have the European aloof thing. I think the bad service is definitely equal opportunity. But the pizza is molto bene. They can talk to me however they want.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM

13 posts, read 39,001 times
One more day in "dirty jersey!" Well two days, I am taking off friday to paint and get the place ready. I officially am in on Saturday! Hey does anyone know of any good barbershops in the area- Going from Brooklyn to Harlem seems quite redundant at this point when there are TONS are great barbershops in Bedstuy.

Last edited by bowtieguy88; 03-13-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy88 View Post
One more day in "dirty jersey!" Well two days, I am taking off friday to paint and get the place ready. I officially am in on Saturday! Hey does anyone know of any good barbershops in the area- Going from Brooklyn to Harlem seems quite redundant at this point when there are TONS are great barbershops in Bedstuy.
How's it going over there? Enjoying it?

You've probably already answered the barber question, but just in case--there's a very cute place on Nostrand near Halsey/Macon.

And, getting back to things opening all the time--Stuy Heights is finally getting a diner...
Diner Set to Open in Stuy Heights

And if you're looking for great bread and sandwiches in a nice setting, Bread Love just opened up on Decatur near the corner of Stuyvesant Ave...seriously, the best bread I've had in a really, really long time. And better (to my taste) than Scratchbread.
Bread Love Opens in Stuy Heights

Old 05-29-2013, 02:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
certain parts of bed-stuy are immaculate.
too bad not enough of us owned anything
all these years. o well. life moves on.
maybe the newcomers will be owners and
keep it in their families. if not, the cycle
will continue.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanus_superbus View Post
How's it going over there? Enjoying it?

You've probably already answered the barber question, but just in case--there's a very cute place on Nostrand near Halsey/Macon.

And, getting back to things opening all the time--Stuy Heights is finally getting a diner...
Diner Set to Open in Stuy Heights

And if you're looking for great bread and sandwiches in a nice setting, Bread Love just opened up on Decatur near the corner of Stuyvesant Ave...seriously, the best bread I've had in a really, really long time. And better (to my taste) than Scratchbread.
Bread Love Opens in Stuy Heights
Just watch, you'll start to lose track of all the new places opening up. You wont walk down a block for weeks then when you do pass by, there is a new store, business or building. The area really is changing before your eyes.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 AM

This came to my attention today:
Bed-Stuy Fresh and Local | Indiegogo

Two folks who want to open up a sustainable, fresh and local grocery store on the corner of Patchen and Macon. Their hearts seem to be in the right place, and this would definitely be a welcome business in the neighborhood. Still, there are two delis on Halsey (one on Lewis and the other, I believe, on the corner of Stuyvesant) that already carry some decent produce and organic products. Competition could only raise the game of everyone, but I wonder if this new business venture will be significantly different from those two pre-existing markets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City