Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times

Advertisements

What's the point of speaking near to perfect English on this craptastic forum? To show who has a better education over one another or to show ones intellictual superiority over a another. Me personally I write the way how I wanna write on here because for one I'm not at work or at a job interview or at jury duty or at a police precinct etc. No need for me to write perfect English on here. I'm sure many posters on here go through spell check and review every single god forsaken Anglo Saxon word before you guys click reply. For those who want to critique the way how someone spells just go to the relationship thread where women complain how they want to date a guy who knows how to spell and write. Only if life was truly perfect.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-11-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What's the point of speaking near to perfect English on this craptastic forum? To show who has a better education over one another or to show ones intellictual superiority over a another. Me personally I write the way how I wanna write on here because for one I'm not at work or at a job interview or at jury duty or at a police precinct etc. No need for me to write perfect English on here. I'm sure many posters on here go through spell check and review every single god forsaken Anglo Saxon word you guys click reply. For those who want to critic the way how someone spells just go to the relationship thread where women complain how they want to date a guy who knows how to spell and write. Only if life was truly perfect.
Well said. Often this forum is all about who can debunk fellow posters points...win, lose or draw by getting all messed up by words without substantial meaning, I say to them: Go post in the "Rational Thinking Correct Grammar Subforum!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Well said. Often this forum is all about who can debunk fellow posters points...win, lose or draw by getting all messed up by words without substantial meaning, I say to them: Go post in the "Rational Thinking Correct Grammar Subforum!
Cough cough ja ja ja coltrane. Let's see if leaders of the Anglo Saxon world like prime minster Cameron of the UK, queen of England, President Obama, Jacob Zuma of South Africa if these folks can write a perfect statement in English without the courtly affair of 6 figure proofreaders.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-11-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Quote:
Cough cough ja ja ja coltrane. Let's see if leaders of the Anglo Saxon world like prime minster Cameron of the UK, queen of England, President Obama, Jacob Zuma of South Africa if these folks can write a perfect statement in English.
That is an aggressive black Reagan ( in his own words) I think I saw him in front of Apollo blowing his alto saxophone!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
There are mathematicians who have mental disorders, there are scientists who have to be institutionalized, what's your point? Brilliant people are not always successful in this life. However, if you are very gifted or knowledgeable in a certain area chances are highly in your favor that you won't be in a half-way house.
The point was that people who often hide behind a facade of "intelligence" are often complete idiots. The vast majority of accomplished mathematicians and scientists do not have severe mental disorders, btw. And if your knowledge can't be applied towards stability in your own life, either there's something seriously wrong with you or you have a lot of trivial knowledge.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Showing your grammar is better than someone else on an internet forum is so whatever.
I'm sure that you're a very successful writer, dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I don't reject your corrections. I rejected your approach.
For someone who is unconcerned, you're spending a lot of time in this discussion.
Quote:
What's the point of speaking near to perfect English on this craptastic forum?
No one is speaking on this forum. People are posting comments. Some well written, some not.
Some people wipe their asses. Some don't. The difference is noticeable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
people who often hide behind a facade of "intelligence" are often complete idiots.
Some people claim to be writers. Many are complete idiots.

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-11-2013 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Quote:
What's the point of speaking near to perfect English on this craptastic forum? To show who has a better education over one another or to show ones intellictual superiority over a another. Me personally I write the way how I wanna write on here because for one I'm not at work or at a job interview or at jury duty or at a police precinct etc. No need for me to write perfect English on here. I'm sure many posters on here go through spell check and review every single god forsaken Anglo Saxon word before you guys click reply. For those who want to critique the way how someone spells just go to the relationship thread where women complain how they want to date a guy who knows how to spell and write. Only if life was truly perfect.
It becomes a problem when average readers have difficulty understanding your post. For example- I can understand your post but have issues with your lack of punctuation. However, I won't be a d*ck about it and single a poster out for just that reason. Good spelling and proper grammar also provide a level of credibility to your opinion.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
It becomes a problem when average readers have difficulty understanding your post. For example- I can understand your post but have issues with your lack of punctuation. However, I won't be a d*ck about it and single a poster out for just that reason. Good spelling and proper grammar also provide a level of credibility to your opinion.
Of course and I agree, but who has time to sit through edit, re-edit, re-edit your own post while the poster is typing at a god forsaken speed of 100wpm. As long as a poster gets his or her message, or comment across towards other posters and readers its all fair game. Like I said before, I don't have time to re-edit my posts. Also note sometimes I don't post from a computer these days, and editing is pain on a five and seven inch touchscreen devices.

If 80% of NYC high school seniors can't comprehend basic American English, or convey a message via sentence, or break down a basic fraction to its common denominator, that is not my fault, blame parents, NYCDOE, the state and the Department of Education. Even CUNY remidial exams are a joke, thats why in CUNY students have to take a comprehension exam called the CPE before they graduate, which will be graded by some person who speaks Standard American English in Ohio.

I hope the moderators can close this thread down.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-11-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
Even CUNY remidial exams are a joke, thats why in CUNY students have to take a comprehension exam called the CPE before they graduate, which will be graded by some person who speaks Standard American English in Ohio.
Absolutely true.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:

OMG, i so agree with you.

I cant stand when you answer someone and they correct your grammer, like this is some sort of literacy program....give me a break.

i also do not beleive in politically correct here either.

and my biggers peeve is i use the word retard a lot, and it offends some people, i dont care. it is freedom of speech and I choose to use that word.

there i feel better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City