Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 AM

112 posts, read 352,449 times

Advertisements

Christine Quinn Running: City Council Speaker's New York Mayoral Bid Announced

So, a possibly homeless man asked Christine for some change, and she said she didn't have any. Are you kidding me? She couldn't reach into her purse/wallet/whatever and hand the guy a dollar? Ask him if he is hungry, and buy him something to eat? Ask him if he is need of any help or assistance?

With this expression of non-compassion, she just lost my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken, but this is a joke, right?

What's so weird about not having change? I usually don't. And is she supposed to give a dollar to everyone that simply asks for one?

I'm sure you've been approached by homeless/bums plenty of times in the past asking for spare change. You've never once said, "Sorry, don't have any" and kept walking?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM

If you watch the footage you will see how condescending she is to the man that asked her for change. Again, if you don't have change, offer money, food, something!

Don't forget that Christine has a very good income, and has a wife that is a high paid lawyer. They are very fortunate to be wealthy, have good jobs, homes in NY as well as in Bradley Beach NJ, etc.

Christine can very well afford to donate a dollar to a guy down on his luck. This boils down to compassion, which she lacks. Not the kind of person who will care much about a middle class person like me.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
This is really a dumb reason for someone not to vote for her, spoken like someone who knows nothing about life in NYC. You are "asked", "begged" repeatedly for change, dollars, food, everything and anything all the time. She didn't have change and was annoyed...he caught her on a bad day..SO WHAT.

If this is a reason why you would not vote for someone, you will not vote for anyone because there is always a petty, ridiculous reason (like this one) not to vote for someone. They didn't lose your vote cuz you were never voting for anyone to begin with. DUMB THREAD!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Does Bloomberg take homeless people to lunch? Did Guiliani or Koch?

(Ask Bloomberg about "spare change" and he might think you are talking about thousand dollar bills.)

Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post

So, a possibly homeless man asked Christine for some change, and she said she didn't have any. Are you kidding me? She couldn't reach into her purse/wallet/whatever and hand the guy a dollar? Ask him if he is hungry, and buy him something to eat? Ask him if he is need of any help or assistance?

If I bought food for every "homeless" person I encountered daily I would not be able to pay my bills and rent. Just cause you don't give money or food to these people doesn't mean you are a bad person and not concerned. Some choose to donate time, money, or items to organizations instead.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 AM

Many of you are missing my point. She is a politician. More importantly, her job revolves around public service. As such, she doesn't have to donate her own money to every homeless person who asks her, but she could've very easily taken his name and asked him some questions. How about "are you hungry?" for starters. If he were to say yes, she or one of her aides could point him in the direction of a food bank, or soup kitchen, etc.

How about asking him if he is need of any mental or physical attention? Again, if you don't wish to give, as a public servant, you should be obligated to offer city run assistance at the very least. She just brushed him off.

Simply put, she's not a mensch.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Meh...I have no plans to vote for her either way.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post

She jut got mine.

Interesting that with your accusation you provided a link to an announcement of her candidacy but no link to any story about a supposedly homeless person asking her for money.

Anyway,if it really happened then it's a positive for her in my book.Proves she is a real NY'er because we all know that most of the "supposedly homeless" people we encounter every day are not homeless.She probably made up her mind a long time ago not to respond to these people like most of us.

My guess is that if there had been an encounter in which she played the role you seem to be begging for then you would have come on here and blasted her for staging a photo op.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Moderator cut: Personal attack

By the way, I don't carry loose money in my pockets. Who does?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-11-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: