Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM

349 posts, read 990,221 times

Advertisements

I don't want to state the obvious but do New Yorkers really sacrifice comfort and quality of life for the ability to enjoy what NYC offers? Or conversely, is it possible to live with relative comfort in NYC?

Put another way, do people live in NYC primarily for the unique attractions offered by the city (and are prepared to sacrifice their quality of life), OR is a normal, sustainable quality of life also possible there, as in any other city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
I love when people use that word Sustainable....its so, NOW.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I don't want to state the obvious but do New Yorkers really sacrifice comfort and quality of life for the ability to enjoy what NYC offers? Or conversely, is it possible to live with relative comfort in NYC?

Put another way, do people live in NYC primarily for the unique attractions offered by the city (and are prepared to sacrifice their quality of life), OR is a normal, sustainable quality of life also possible there, as in any other city?
Life is always a sacrifice/give and take. I live in 4 very different states and each offered something not found in another. I could live in another state perhaps a lot richer but I wouldn't have the experiences I had here. Also I wouldn't have that same job else where. Its really about figuring out what makes you the most happy.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
There's too many indeterminable factors in play.

What one would consider a comfortable life, another could consider just getting by.

Life is about making sacrifices in general.

If it's normal or not would depend on what you're used to now and what you consider to be an extravagant expense.

I'm pretty comfortable in my lifestyle, but the sacrifices I made are ones that some can't live with.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM

349 posts, read 990,221 times
I'll try to clarify; by "comfort" I mean things like

- Ability to not live in squalor & filth, like a starving student;
- Ability to not live in near crime-ridden areas
- Realistic prospects of home ownership, or enough disposable income for alternative significant investments

Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
OR is a normal, sustainable quality of life also possible there, as in any other city?
Of course it's possible. The real question should be is that same quality of life possible for the same amount of money in New York as it would be in some other city. Usually, the answer is no.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:

- Realistic prospects of home ownership, or enough disposable income for alternative significant investments
There's crime everywhere...so do you mean living in "the hood" with quality of life issues?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:

All of these realistic in NYC especially the first 2 items. The third item really depends on your income and if you want to rent or own and what significant investments you are looking to make.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:

Sacrafice?

Yes, but you need to look in both ways. In other cities, you may acheive/receive those benefits which may be sacraficed while living in NYC, BUT conversely, living in those other ciities, you sacrafice those tangibles that life in NYC provides.

So, it is not as if scarafice is a one way street.

For example, in other cities, you might readily afford a big beautiful spacious home, but sacrafice nightlife and intellectual stimulation. In NYC, the converse is very often the case.

One significant difference between NYC nad other American places is this:

In NYC, and its surrounds, with enough money, one need not sacrafice much at all.

Unfortunately, in other cities, it is very difficult or impossible to *purchase* the tangibles/intangibles which NYC provides, no matter how much money one may have.

That said, in answer to your overall question, NO! The average normal and I'll add FULL middle class lifestyle cannot be had in NYC. NYC is unique. It is not a part of the "normal", which I imagine you have in miind.

How could it be? That sort of suburban car centric mall focus family lifestyle is just not what NYC is about, which is why those alternate lifestyles and communities were created, to be the anithesis of urban NYC.

Today, there appears to be a Transplant gneration reared in an antithesis environment, which they view as *normal* and commensurate with life. Yet, within that normality, there is something missing, which this generation is seeking within NYC (and other urban environments).

Yet, that "normality" is so ingrained and inherent in their nature and lifestyle and family view, that even though they *may* find what they have beeen missing in Transplantland; found it the urbanity of NYC, this generation still, inherent and true to its basic nature, simultaneously seeks to hold onto much of their Transplantland values and life view, effect to TRANSPLANT their inherent values and basic lifestyle and views onto their VISION of NYC ubran life, and into the NYC lifestyle.

Transplants effect this, despite the reality of NYC, and urban life, having little in common with the Transplant *vision*. For example, this notion of public transport being the **essence** of NYC nad urban life, as well as the foreign to NYC, NOTION that bicycling, in the Euro fashion, is part of the NYC urban fabric.

These are *Transplanted* effects, not germaine to the native NYer mindset. Specifically, alien to the middle class of the outer boroughs, who find thse Transplantations INTRUSIVE onto and into established NYC! Conflicting and upsetting tradional manners of urban NYC life.

It is this "Transplantation", Transplant' mentality which clashes with the traditional urban nature of the city itself and the Native NYer mentality and lifestyle. You see this conflict within preferences such as, mom and pop stores vs chain/mall storess; street life vs quiet blandness; street smart vs SUPER safety (and the overall need for virtually absolute safety); small scale markets supplemented by diverse local mom and pop food stores vs one sop SUPERMARKETS!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
Quote:

Amongst the youngins, I'd say yes. People in their 20s still living with roomates, making a 1 bedroom 3 bedroom, boyfriend girlfriend living together....not uncommon to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: