Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

l
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Nightcrawler..you are certainly a 1 trick pony...those FAA routes! It's funny.

I know it sounds silly, but when you hear a plane fly by, then 30 seconds the next one, then 30 seconds the next one, all day long, and it is woprse on cloudy days.
it gets really annoying.
this link shows all the flights, it is really annoying, you have no idea.

Prospect Park Quiet Skies

quietskies.net | Working to keep all aircraft noise at reasonable levels

LaGuardia Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Nightcrawler..you are certainly a 1 trick pony...those FAA routes! It's funny.
could be funny, but if planes were flying over your home every 30 seconds all day until 2am, it might not be that funny, especially when they are flying as low as 2500 feet.....

somehow humor doesnt come to mind.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Actually I am right across from Laguardia (Mott Haven/Hunts Point area), so I get them taking off right over my head, take-off being the loudest time for planes, starting at 6am! It drives me crazy and I have filed complaints...but nothing is ever done. There are few communities that suffer as much plane noise than mine. They sometimes fly so low it looks like they will hit the projects.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
doomberg's soda ban law was struck down because it demonstrated entrely too much favoritism without a solid concrete plan. 7 eleven could still sell large big gulp drinks while every other establishment, that wasnt a big corporation couldn't. in fact, it was a failed attempt to allegedly curb your drinking, under the guise of "your health" being a factor, & gain more revenue for the city, by unfairly profiting off of ones thirst. how are you gonna tell someone that if they want a 32 ounce drink, they gotta buy two 16 ounce cups? who is he? zeus? a parent? no! this is america. what? we don't have any freedom to choose anymore? i am so thankful for judge tingling, lowering the gavel on this sanctimonious mayor.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Amen!!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Umm HellupInHarlem....who is telling you that you can't have a 46 ounce drink? Not zeus, not god, not a parent, SODA COMPANIES. Who is telling you you can't have a 73 ounce drink? Not zeus, not god, SODA COMPANIES. Soda companies have set the sizes you *think* you are freely demanding, based on their profits. So what you are actually saying is, this is America, we have the right to choose whatever is most profitable for corporations!

And Bloomberg is saying, wait a second, why should soda companies be dictating size based on their profits.....we should take control of size and dictate based on our own HEALTH. And he is the bad guy? Yes, be proud you are a dumb American and a "free" slave to Pepsi.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Umm HellupInHarlem....who is telling you that you can't have a 46 ounce drink? Not zeus, not god, not a parent, SODA COMPANIES. Who is telling you you can't have a 73 ounce drink? Not zeus, not god, SODA COMPANIES. Soda companies have set the sizes you *think* you are freely demanding, based on their profits. So what you are actually saying is, this is America, we have the right to choose whatever is most profitable for corporations!

And Bloomberg is saying, wait a second, why should soda companies be dictating size based on their profits.....we should take control of size and dictate based on our own HEALTH. And he is the bad guy? Yes, be proud you are a dumb American and a "free" slave to Pepsi.
Not that I am any fan of soda companies and the crap they produce for people to drink, but ...

HellupInHarlem has a point:

Quote:
7 eleven could still sell large big gulp drinks while every other establishment, that wasnt a big corporation couldn't.
If it's all supposed to be about helping NY'ers preserve their health, why was the rule unevenly written when it came to retailers and other sugary, calorie-laden unhealthy beverages?

From the article in the OP:

Quote:
State Supreme Court Justice Milton Tingling said the 16-ounce limit on sodas and other sweet drinks arbitrarily applies to only some sugary beverages and some places that sell them.

"The loopholes in this rule effectively defeat the stated purpose of this rule," Tingling wrote in a 36-page ruling ...
It makes no sense whatsoever to have loopholes that defeat the rule!

Why was the rule written so unevenly? For some to prosper while others fail? If it was all about health, it should have been across the board.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Someone on another thread asked me to interpret "free market" (I had derided the concept) and I tried to explain exactly this.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Why was the rule written so unevenly? For some to prosper while others fail? If it was all about health, it should have been across the board.
There is more to it. He couldn't for some reason.
And moving against the corporate-racketeering somewhat is better than not at all was probably the logic.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
You should note this is NOT a ban anymore than the soda companies not providing you with a 96 ounce soda is a ban. It is the city dictating a better size based on putting YOUR HEALTH FIRST versus the soda companies dictating a size based on putting their profits first, and your health last.

You are welcome to cheer the strike down of this soda size restriction, but it was brought by special interest groups (Soda companies) because it would hurt their bottom line...not because they care about you, or the fact that the overconsumption that they promote will ultimately hurt you, and is hurting you. Bloomberg telling you this reality is not the villian here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The soda companies are...but somehow we blame Bloomberg? Gotta love Americans.

While I understand why the judge struck this down, the statement made by Bloomberg is important and is the first step. I am sure glad he got rid of the smoking in bars/restaurants, despite the massive special interest lobbying against it. And this soda size restriction is no different; they are both about the health of NYers, and as the Mayor his job is not just to make sure the streets are cleaned, crime is addressed, and the city runs, he is also tasked with the responsibility to each and every one of this city's citizens, their health, well being, and quality of life.

And this is why he has spearheaded such initiatives as banning smoking in bars/restaurants, opening more green space and parks, more bike lanes and pedestrian plazas, removed transfats from foods, required calorie counts, etc. Because KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, and he knows that too many people, particularly lower income NYs, are falling victim to the $$$$$$ in marketing promoting unsafe habits, detrimental overconsumption, and behavior so as to fatten the wallets of corporations, regardless of the impact on the health of people or our society as a whole.

Why should these corporations care..they just take your money, make you sick, and then hand you over to government to pay for what they did...our citizens get sick, and government pays forever.

Yeah..Bloomberg is the bad guy. What the $*@& is wrong with America when the person trying to help you make better decisions, fights the special interests, and legislates to provide you more knowledge and power in what you consume, and to make the field more level is the bad guy????????????????????????????

I expect the soda companies to spend $$$$$ to manipulate, scorn, ridicule, and turn people against Bloomberg. What I don't expect are for fellow human beings to celebrate and promote the "right" of soda companies, or anyone else, to poison us AND expect the government to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!

Look, I know who appealed it and I know it's all about their bottom line. I know they don't care about the people just like any other company. I also haven't had soda every day since I was younger. But if I want to have a large soda once every few weeks, just let me have it. I'm not overweight. But I'm not allowed to have this because other people can't control themselves? And really, the big loopholes were half of the problem. If I can just walk to the 7-11 and get what I want, why wouldn't I just do that?

Bloomberg's problem is that he is out of touch when he tries to make these bans. It's all or nothing with him. If knowledge is power, this is not the way to do it. You don't just wag your finger and say, "You can't have it and if you want it, it'll cost more money!" At that point, you're just treating adults like children and surprise---they don't like that. Again, I reiterate that you need to have nutritional education starting from elementary school. I do not remember having a single nutrition class until I took one in college because I had to for my major at the time. This is the key. Start the education process when people are younger because reeducation is way more difficult.

Calorie counts, according to many studies, don't always have much of an impact: Do posted calorie counts help people make healthy choices? - CSMonitor.com Doesn't stop anyone from ordering the appetizers at Outback Steakhouse, which are some of the worst out there for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City