Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 27,675 times

Advertisements

Well! Here is the update. I went to the interview for an apartment at Tivoli Towers finally. I had been on the waiting list since 2010 or so. It came as a shock to hear once their that a studio apartment rents for a thousand some odd dollars. AFFORDABLE? To who? I do know that Tivoli Towers is part of the Mitchell Lama affordable housing program. I was under the impression that "Mitchell Lama" was a program that provides subsidies that affords tenants to pay 30% of ones income or 30% of the original apartment rent price which ever is higher. I was crushed, a thousand some odd dollars! Pretty much no hope for low income individuals anymore I was told in not so many words.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,795,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicHuman View Post
Well! Here is the update. I went to the interview for an apartment at Tivoli Towers finally. I had been on the waiting list since 2010 or so. It came as a shock to hear once their that a studio apartment rents for a thousand some odd dollars. AFFORDABLE? To who? I do know that Tivoli Towers is part of the Mitchell Lama affordable housing program. I was under the impression that "Mitchell Lama" was a program that provides subsidies that affords tenants to pay 30% of ones income or 30% of the original apartment rent price which ever is higher. I was crushed, a thousand some odd dollars! Pretty much no hope for low income individuals anymore I was told in not so many words.
Thats actually below current market rent for that area. Sorry, but Franklin Avenue has sushi spots on it now. I remember when you couldn't even walk down Franklin Avenue at night. 2 years ago I walked from Eastern Parkway to Fulton Street by myself at like 3 AM. I would have never did that walk back in the day.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM

Yes it is a bit better north of eastern parkway on Franklin Ave. True things have changed for a bit for the better there but south of eastern parkway it is still the same in my opinion. It was never really horrible but it wasn't great either. As for a studio apartment renting for a thousand dollars or more dollars being "below current market rates" I truly find that hard to believe. It just seem to me when a hand full of a "certain" race moves into a predominantly minority and or lower economic neighborhood rents sore! Gentrification eliminates the poor and lower middle class. Nevertheless it is just frustrating to know that for those whom can't afford all that money for (rent) a studio and wish to live somewhere decent there seems to be no hope. I was on the waiting list for Tivoli for three of four years far before even your perceived change of the area. Is that really what makes for a nicer neighborhood raising the rents so high?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 PM

50 posts, read 90,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicHuman View Post
Yes it is a bit better north of eastern parkway on Franklin Ave. True things have changed for a bit for the better there but south of eastern parkway it is still the same in my opinion. It was never really horrible but it wasn't great either. As for a studio apartment renting for a thousand dollars or more dollars being "below current market rates" I truly find that hard to believe. It just seem to me when a hand full of a "certain" race moves into a predominantly minority and or lower economic neighborhood rents sore! Gentrification eliminates the poor and lower middle class. Nevertheless it is just frustrating to know that for those whom can't afford all that money for (rent) a studio and wish to live somewhere decent there seems to be no hope. I was on the waiting list for Tivoli for three of four years far before even your perceived change of the area. Is that really what makes for a nicer neighborhood raising the rents so high?
I started this post and I'm back with my update. I agree with you completely. I wasn't on the wait list for as long as you were but they did call me back. I too was VERY shocked that the rest is so high. It is monitored by HPD. Mitchell-Lama apartments, as you mentioned, are supposed to be based on income. The prices are the same as private apartment buildings. I have been looking for an apartment for a very long time and my problem is the outrageous prices. I know this is New York City, but I too feel that: 1) Landlords take advantage of people and not enough people complain so they just keep doing it and 2) Once "gentrification" occurs those of us who had a small chance are just going to struggle more.

I'm not from NY so I cant really talk about the area but someone told me today its close to Ebbets Field (Brooklyn Avenue and Montgomery Street) which has a very high crime rate. It is also close to Empire Boulevard and I was warned about that area too. I am female so I don't know what to do at this point. I am running out of options as far as find a decent place to live. I called a broker today and he told me "you're not going to find a 1 bedroom for $1100. You might just get a room for that price." I don't know if he just didn't want to help me or if he was really serious. It just really and truly sucks that finding a place to stay is so difficult.

So my question is to anyone who lives or is familiar with the area: yes or no?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Anyone??

Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueheartofgold View Post
I started this post and I'm back with my update. I agree with you completely. I wasn't on the wait list for as long as you were but they did call me back. I too was VERY shocked that the rest is so high. It is monitored by HPD. Mitchell-Lama apartments, as you mentioned, are supposed to be based on income. The prices are the same as private apartment buildings. I have been looking for an apartment for a very long time and my problem is the outrageous prices. I know this is New York City, but I too feel that: 1) Landlords take advantage of people and not enough people complain so they just keep doing it and 2) Once "gentrification" occurs those of us who had a small chance are just going to struggle more.

I'm not from NY so I cant really talk about the area but someone told me today its close to Ebbets Field (Brooklyn Avenue and Montgomery Street) which has a very high crime rate. It is also close to Empire Boulevard and I was warned about that area too. I am female so I don't know what to do at this point. I am running out of options as far as find a decent place to live. I called a broker today and he told me "you're not going to find a 1 bedroom for $1100. You might just get a room for that price." I don't know if he just didn't want to help me or if he was really serious. It just really and truly sucks that finding a place to stay is so difficult.

So my question is to anyone who lives or is familiar with the area: yes or no?

Well the area is not bad but its not great either. Bloomberg has changed the definition of affordable in NYC. Its very important that people get out and vote in the democratic primary for major. No longer do we need a mayor that cares more about business, the rich and his own personal need to mold this city into what he deems to be desirable. After all a mayor is elected to represent the needs of all the people of a city not just the well to do. I personally would NOT recommend voting for Christen Quinn. She just seems like more Bloomberg way of thinking. I have read numerous articles concerning the housing crisis in NYC and "AFFORDABLE HOUSING" the issue is not being addressed. Vote for a candidate who has your concerns at heart, I will.
It is extremely difficult to find truly affordable or low income housing in NYC. In essence the housing issue in NYC is be ignored in hopes that those lower income families and individuals will move out of the city and the well to do will be attracted to move TO this city.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,876 times
Quote:
Anyone??
Hi, I'm a black woman and I live around the corner from the Tivoli Towers. I have been in the area for six years. I found your post, because I was curious about all of the construction going on in the building. The area is definitely gentrifying and I doubt that you would have been considering the building ten or fifteen years ago. Personally, I am not a fan of Franklin Ave., because there are people constantly hanging out on the street. However, if you walk a block away to Washington, it's beautiful and difficult to believe that the streets are so close to one another. My co-op is on Crown St. and I bought it six years ago. I was shocked to find out that a one-bedroom in the building rents for $1800, which is ridiculous! This is not the best neighborhood in the world, but I bought an apartment in it, because the area is changing for the better. I always thought the Tivoli Towers were ghetto, because of the element that hangs out in front of it. As a woman, I wouldn't feel too comfortable living there, but I do see working class people coming and going to work from it when I pass by. Also, the amount they are asking for a studio tells me that they are trying to change the character of the building and it would be a good idea to move in for this reason. A studio would be slightly more in this area, but I am also shocked for the amount they are asking for. A studio in my building would go for $1200 or even more, which is ridiculous! It is a good area to live in if you are willing to stick it through and watch it change, which it is doing, slowly but surely. Yes, South Franklin Ave. could be better, but new stores are opening up bit by bit and the nasty Chinese food places are going out of business. I hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqmom View Post
Hi, I'm a black woman and I live around the corner from the Tivoli Towers. I have been in the area for six years. I found your post, because I was curious about all of the construction going on in the building. The area is definitely gentrifying and I doubt that you would have been considering the building ten or fifteen years ago. Personally, I am not a fan of Franklin Ave., because there are people constantly hanging out on the street. However, if you walk a block away to Washington, it's beautiful and difficult to believe that the streets are so close to one another. My co-op is on Crown St. and I bought it six years ago. I was shocked to find out that a one-bedroom in the building rents for $1800, which is ridiculous! This is not the best neighborhood in the world, but I bought an apartment in it, because the area is changing for the better. I always thought the Tivoli Towers were ghetto, because of the element that hangs out in front of it. As a woman, I wouldn't feel too comfortable living there, but I do see working class people coming and going to work from it when I pass by. Also, the amount they are asking for a studio tells me that they are trying to change the character of the building and it would be a good idea to move in for this reason. A studio would be slightly more in this area, but I am also shocked for the amount they are asking for. A studio in my building would go for $1200 or even more, which is ridiculous! It is a good area to live in if you are willing to stick it through and watch it change, which it is doing, slowly but surely. Yes, South Franklin Ave. could be better, but new stores are opening up bit by bit and the nasty Chinese food places are going out of business. I hope this helps.
Hi. Thanks for your response. They actually have a security guard inside. Keys are needed to enter the building also. I've never seen people hanging out on the outside when I went there (multiple times), but I don't doubt you. I personally don't enjoy the hanging out out on the street on Franklin Avenue either but all I would be doing is walking to and from the subway and minding my business. I do know that the area is changing. I think once you hit Carroll, the crowd of people slows down. Trust me, I've been searching for a long time and the price they are asking for at Tivoli is much much cheaper than other neighborhoods some would consider "worse" than the area (certain parts of East New York, Bed Stuy, etc.). I did see a lot of women going to and from Tivoli so that eased up my mind a little. The reason you see construction outside is because the building was purchased by a landlord who promised to do renovations on the entire building. From the looks of it, those renovations may take a long time but I've seen the apartments and they are HUGE and gut renovated. They would go for alot of money if they were privately owned! I guarantee you!

My main concern would just be walking home at night and during winter (since it gets dark at 4pm). So my question to you: yes or no (based on your experience in the neighborhood). Have you had any problems walking home while its dark? Thanks.

P.S. You can send me a private message if you don't want to mention anything publicly.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM

259 posts, read 366,937 times
Quote:
My main concern would just be walking home at night and during winter (since it gets dark at 4pm). So my question to you: yes or no (based on your experience in the neighborhood). Have you had any problems walking home while its dark? Thanks.
You can take the scenic route and walk down Washington Avenue instead of Eastern Parkway.

You can also take the B48 do there, if it just happens to be there (this is assuming you'll be coming from the Franklin Avenue stop).

I think there is a police substation on Carroll Street right off of Franklin, where the pedestrian bridge crosses the shuttle tracks.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM

259 posts, read 366,937 times
Quote:

I'm not from NY so I cant really talk about the area but someone told me today its close to Ebbets Field (Brooklyn Avenue and Montgomery Street) which has a very high crime rate.
FYI: Ebbbets Field is bounded by Bedford Avenue, Montgomery Street, Sullivan Place, and McKeever Place. Brooklyn Avenue is a few blocks away (closer to where the Lubavitchers live).

Quote:
It is also close to Empire Boulevard and I was warned about that area too.
It used to be worse years ago. (There used to be issues at the rolling skating rink that used to be on Empire Boulevard.) Believe me, I grew up in this neighborhood, still live here. I would pass Tivoli Towers on the way to school every day via Franklin Avenue. I don't have any issue passing Empire Boulevard, and that is my main route every day to the Prospect Park train station. (Then again, if I had problems, I'd be in trouble as I wouldn't be able to leave my house.)

I don't like coming down Franklin Avenue if I were to take the IRT, but for me that is more of a personal preference rather than a safety issue.

By the way, don't be surprised if gentrification comes south of Eastern Parkway. That Associated (which used to be a Key Food years ago) was renovated, and a Pulp & Bean is going to open near Union Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City