Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
What specific areas of NYC compare to the more rough areas in Oakland,Ca? South Bronx, West Brooklyn,West Queens,East Harlem?
I don't think any (even the worst) neighborhoods in NYC can compare with the worst areas of Oakland.Crime in Oakland is completely off the charts.Even the worst precincts in Brooklyn and The Bronx have a much lower crime rate than the whole city of Oakland overall so I can only imagine what the crime rates would be for a bad sections of Oakland.

Oakland had 2,000 violent crimes( murder,rape,assault,robbery) per 100,000 people in 2009 while The Bronx had about 650 and NYC as a whole had 580.Detroit ,St Louis and Memphis are the only places in the country that compare with Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
Are you saying this based on looking at stats? Thing about Oakland is it's a big city and crime is real saturated in four or five 10-15 block stretches. Most of this crime happens on Friday and Saturday nights/mornings and happens among the 14-25 year olds. That being said I do have two friends that have been shot, but they were out in those time frames.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Are you saying this based on looking at stats? Thing about Oakland is it's a big city and crime is real saturated in four or five 10-15 block stretches. Most of this crime happens on Friday and Saturday nights/mornings and happens among the 14-25 year olds. That being said I do have two friends that have been shot, but they were out in those time frames.
Yes,from the stats.Oakland has the highest crime rate in the country.
The Bronx( population 1.4 million) is a lot bigger than Oakland( population 400,000) and it has many pretty low crime neighborhoods too.And most of the crime is the same age group and same times of the week/day.I'm sure those variables are similar everywhere.The worst neighborhoods in The Bronx don't even come close,
The crime rate in Oakland is just astounding.I was shocked.2,000 violent crime victims per 100,000 people means that 2% of the population of the city are victims of a violent in any given year.No wonder you know 2 people who have been shot.
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-15-2010, 03:34 PM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
I didn't realize the Bronx had that many people. I guess the fact that because there is so much saturation in NYC the crime rate per number is that much lower. From what I've read about the bad parts of Brooklyn these areas mirror the bad parts in Oakland. Would you agree?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize the Bronx had that many people. I guess the fact that because there is so much saturation in NYC the crime rate per number is that much lower. From what I've read about the bad parts of Brooklyn these areas mirror the bad parts in Oakland. Would you agree?
No,I don't think I agree and I don't think population saturation has anything to do with it unless you mean that bigger cities tend to have less crime.Philadelphia is the same size as The Bronx and the crime rate is really high too... more than double The Bronx.Miami is about the same size as Oakland but it's crime rate is considerably lower than Oakland's.

The Bronx is supposed to be the worst crime borough of NY but even if you took the worst precinct in The Bronx( in other words the worst of the worst) the crime rates are nothing like Oakland and that's comparing Oakland including all it's better areas !

Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,582 times
Quote:
I didn't realize the Bronx had that many people. I guess the fact that because there is so much saturation in NYC the crime rate per number is that much lower.
The Bronx used to be horrible. In the early 90's its murder rate per capita was worse than oakland, even with 3 times the population. Not today though, nyc has improved tons.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,I don't think I agree and I don't think population saturation has anything to do with it unless you mean that bigger cities tend to have less crime.Philadelphia is the same size as The Bronx and the crime rate is really high too... more than double The Bronx.Miami is about the same size as Oakland but it's crime rate is considerably lower than Oakland's.

The Bronx is supposed to be the worst crime borough of NY but even if you took the worst precinct in The Bronx( in other words the worst of the worst) the crime rates are nothing like Oakland and that's comparing Oakland including all it's better areas !
yes population saturation does matter. im willing to bet to bet if philly had a smaller population its murder rate would be skyrocket high like Oakland.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yes population saturation does matter. im willing to bet to bet if philly had a smaller population its murder rate would be skyrocket high like Oakland.
Philadelphia's population is almost exactly the same as The Bronx yet it's crime rate is nearly double that of The Bronx.Philadelphia's crime rate is already almost as bad as Oakland.
Murders per 100,000 : Oakland 29,Phil 23,BX13.
Violent crimes per 100,000: Oakland 2000,Phil 1,500 , Bx 650

If there were any validity to your bet, Boston,which has a population only a little more than Oakland but tightly packed would have a high crime rate but it doesn't .It's murder rate is 10 per 100,000.
Boston's crime rate is very similar to The Bronx yet it is only half the size.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 PM

85 posts, read 415,349 times
When using crime stats to compare cities I would really only look at the murder rate because the NYPD regularly downgrades other felony crimes to misdemeanors to make the city look safer than it really is. Murder is really the only crime that cannot be downgraded.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Philadelphia's population is almost exactly the same as The Bronx yet it's crime rate is nearly double that of The Bronx.Philadelphia's crime rate is already almost as bad as Oakland.
Murders per 100,000 : Oakland 29,Phil 23,BX13.
Violent crimes per 100,000: Oakland 2000,Phil 1,500 , Bx 650

If there were any validity to your bet, Boston,which has a population only a little more than Oakland but tightly packed would have a high crime rate but it doesn't .It's murder rate is 10 per 100,000.
Boston's crime rate is very similar to The Bronx yet it is only half the size.
o wow i thought oaklands murder rate was over 40 per 100,000 mayybe im to used to seeing it to high on the most dangerous city list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City