Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
BY is under the impression that subcultures have emerged with the mainstream, and he's right. However, I would say that the purity of Puerto Rican diaspora has dispersed or migrated.
To where? Where are these "pure" Puerto Ricans to be found?

If you grabbed the iPod Touch or iPhone of the average Puerto Rican living in Florida or actual Boricuas on the island itself, what do you think you'd more likely find: Ray Baretto or Odd Future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
pure puerto ricans don't even talk like that.

subculture my butt.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
To where? Where are these "pure" Puerto Ricans to be found?

If you grabbed the iPod Touch or iPhone of the average Puerto Rican living in Florida or actual Boricuas on the island itself, what do you think you'd more likely find: Ray Baretto or Odd Future?
Odd Future

Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nuyorican culture has been dead for about a decade or more now, I remember it freshly in my head when old timers used to dance on the street, folks used to blast freestyle and salsa from their car windows. Nuyorican hispanic culture is being quickkly replaced by other subcultures like in Williamsburg and Les for example, Nuyorican culture is being replaced by hipster subculture via gentrification. In much of the South Bronx many Puerto Ricans have either died out or moved to East Bronx mixing it up with the Guido culture or out of the state taking their culture with them. In much of the South Bronx one would hear Merengue, Bachata and all that sexy Dominican style stuff. It's not that its extinct its just that its less relevant now here in most of NYC. If your looking for Nuyrican culture try upstate NY, Western PA and Central or South Florida. The days of fowl chicken fights, the days of Puerto Rican Luncheonera, the days of Rican flags hanging over the streets of the South Bronx, East Harlem, LES, and Brooklyn. The days of free style blasting in cars, the days of button down tee shirts with an crucifix over the chest. All these things I have mentioned are over and part of an by gone era. Sometimes I think there are more Dominicans and Mexicans than Ricans these days.
I don't think so...........there are about 6 Puerto Ricans in Pittsburgh.

I think you meant to say Eastern PA, right?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Odd Future
When I was in Trinidad for Carnival last month, I saw a lot of OFWGKTA shirts. There's no escaping the tentacles of American mass media.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
You do realize that the term "Pure Puerto Ricans" is an oxymoron, just like "Pure Americans." That being said, I get what you mean. And yes, the African American culture is dying in NYC also..

The culture is growing in Florida, it is waning in NYC, not just in raw numbers, but in percentages, influence, etc.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
When I was in Trinidad for Carnival last month, I saw a lot of OFWGKTA shirts. There's no escaping the tentacles of American mass media.
In Jamaica, the artists don't even make Dancehall riddims. It's pure techno and computer beats.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
new york used to be the land of oppurtunity for blacks and brown.
now the whites are coming back to take everything. they call it
gentrification or whatever word they think of next.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
In terms of other strong PR communities in Brooklyn and Queens, I'd say Cypress Hills still has a strong pop. and sections of Woodhaven and East Elmhurst as well still have a significant amount of PRs in the area to this day...
East Elmhurst?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Well, some of the Boricans also do the shuttle between the NYC and the island. I remember vacationing in PR and quite a few of the locals spoke English with a tri-state accent (one said he was from NJ, one from Long Island).

I concur that the dispersal of Puerto Ricans to places other than NYC has been a factor. Cultures always evolve and change with the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City