Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Read about it here.

FreshDirect Defends New Bronx Facility Against Legal Challenge - DNAinfo.com New York

I do believe that Fresh Direct will ultimately prevail. Every major expansion of anything lately in the city, whether from Columbia and NYU expansions, to Barclays, is always targeted by activists for the poor. But said activists always lose in court. The fact that there is any investment willing to come to the South Bronx is great, and after the activists lose their court case, more investment will come to the South Bronx. Just as after the activists lose their cases against Barclay's and Columbia, more investment came to upper Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Read about it here.

[url=http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130304/port-morris/freshdirect-defends-new-bronx-facility-against-legal-FreshDirect Defends New Bronx Facility Against Legal Challenge - DNAinfo.com New York[/url]

I do believe that Fresh Direct will ultimately prevail. Every major expansion of anything lately in the city, whether from Columbia and NYU expansions, to Barclays, is always targeted by activists for the poor. But said activists always lose in court. The fact that there is any investment willing to come to the South Bronx is great, and after the activists lose their court case, more investment will come to the South Bronx. Just as after the activists lose their cases against Barclay's and Columbia, more investment came to upper Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Cant wait till I watch the film about this subject. Also s sports arena and a college campus are vastly different from warehouse that ships food when it comes to drawing crowds of developers . Do you expect a condo opening up across the street from a blight looking fresh direct facility in Mott Haven? Orgasimm.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Cant wait till I watch the film about this subject. Also s sports arena and a college campus are vastly different from warehouse that ships food when it comes to drawing crowds of developers . Do you expect a condo opening up across the street from a blight looking fresh direct facility in Mott Haven? Orgasimm.
Not necessarily, but there would be other businesses that WOULD move into the area as well. As Fresh Direct is building a facility there, others would as well, and not just in warehousing. This is good news as it is private sector investment. That is what the South Bronx desperately needs, real money beyond FOOD STAMPS.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily, but there would be other businesses that WOULD move into the area as well. As Fresh Direct is building a facility there, others would as well, and not just in warehousing. This is good news as it is private sector investment. That is what the South Bronx desperately needs, real money beyond FOOD STAMPS.
It is great news or good news. Pop champagne bottles, yay. All this facility gonna do is pay locals in the area living wage salary which is good to some extent, but even with living wage salary some may still need food stamps to feed their kids , or NYCHA for subsidized housing. I even knew a fresh direct worker who used to make connect stops in between deliveries. Why? Because the pay is not great. Maybe more warehouse business will sprout up in the area with all those trucks passing by, plauging the lungs of the youths with asthma, and putting a strain on medicaid.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
It is great news or good news. Pop champagne bottles, yay. All this facility gonna do is pay locals in the area living wage salary which is good to some extent, but even with living wage salary some may still need food stamps to feed their kids , or NYCHA for subsidized housing. I even knew a fresh direct worker who used to make connect stops in between deliveries. Why? Because the pay is not great. Maybe more warehouse business will sprout up in the area with all those trucks passing by, plauging the lungs of the youths with asthma, and putting a strain on medicaid.
What do you think these people are qualified to make? Be happy they are getting paid that! It amazes me how people think people with little to no work experience or little to no education are all of a sudden supposed to make 6 to 7 digits.

If people want to get themselves out of the hole, they have to start working somewhere, even if its at a job that doesn't pay much. Take what you can get, send your kids to school, and work on moving your family up.

The marketplace is pretty fair. If these people at the job skills for anything, they wouldn't even be living in NYCHA housing.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
What do you think these people are qualified to make? Be happy they are getting paid that! It amazes me how people think people with little to no work experience or little to no education are all of a sudden supposed to make 6 to 7 digits.

If people want to get themselves out of the hole, they have to start working somewhere, even if its at a job that doesn't pay much. Take what you can get, send your kids to school, and work on moving your family up.

The marketplace is pretty fair. If these people at the job skills for anything, they wouldn't even be living in NYCHA housing.
Not that its pretty fair but the problem of poverty still persists even with investment from the private sector. Jobs like these are only beneficial for high school aged youths. Its not job skills, its marketable job skills which some people in the area have and some dont. . And who said anything about 6 or 7 figures? Thats entitlement exaggeration. As for NYCHA dont agency is not going anywhere anytime soon unless you NyWriterdude Timothy McVeigh every single development.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
I agree with you Ny writer, here's the question. Did fresh direct get huge taxpayer subsidies? I'm a huge fan of the private sector but not if they are getting taxpayer money.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Not that its pretty fair but the problem of poverty still persists even with investment from the private sector. Jobs like these are only beneficial for high school aged youths. Its not job skills, its marketable job skills which some people in the area have and some dont. . And who said anything about 6 or 7 figures? Thats entitlement exaggeration. As for NYCHA dont agency is not going anywhere anytime soon unless you NyWriterdude Timothy McVeigh every single development.
No, they are beneficial for adults to. Someone has to do manual labor. Not all adults work professional jobs. Adults do work in retail and similar jobs all their life. And obviously if adults do get these jobs, it shows how "marketable" their skills are. Water always finds its own level, so anyone hired by FreshDirect is right where they need to be. And that is not a bad THING.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I agree with you Ny writer, here's the question. Did fresh direct get huge taxpayer subsidies? I'm a huge fan of the private sector but not if they are getting taxpayer money.
Yes, like every major business that expands in NY, they got taxpayer money. This is true of banks, film and television, and any other major expansion.

If NY doesn't do it, another state will. And better tax credits to businesses that more money flowing into NYCHA.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Read the article, 84 million dollars in subsidies have been approved for the relocation of fresh direct in thr Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City