Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 AM

678 posts, read 697,505 times

Advertisements

Im ready to move out. Im living with my mom right now. we dont have the best of relationships but we take it one day at a time. But i am getting impatient id hate to leave on bad terms. but i need to start doing my own thing i want to be able to move to new york because i want to prove her wrong because she says its so expensive and whatever. but ive never been good with listening to what she says. i always end up doing the exact opposite and when she says moving to new york is too crazy it really drives me to work harder at making my dream of moving down there a reality. i remember when i was younger how much i hated living with her and how much fun my freedom would be. i would literally fantasize about how moving out would be. to wake up in the morning with the warm morning breeze cut through the blinds. i slowly wake up all alone in an empty house.no mom no screaming or yelling on why i should abide by her rules. no rules no mom no hassle just me. Is there such a life out there??? is this crazy tht i day dream about this?? can i be this happy when i move out?? i know bills will consume my earnings and my necessities. but im really looking for something better out there and my heart is telling me new york is the place

Last edited by tht1guy; 03-23-2013 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
unless you're rich you are going to be living with roommates. also, do you have a college degree, work experience, etc. The unemployment in this city is pretty high. Why not find an apt in Kansas City?

NYC is a tough city. It can make or break you.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
youre right your heart is telling you NY is the right place but a more rational part of you (ie your brain) should be telling you a more realistic city (Like KC) would be more realistic like th1guy says

Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
How old are you? I hope you've got your high school diploma at least. NYC is a great place but as others have said its very expensive and not a good choice for your first move out of your Moms place.

What about going to a local university? You could move into the dorms, make friends, and get the education you'll need to make it in a big city. The best way to get the freedom you want is to make rational choices now. Right now all you seem to be focusing on is getting out of your Moms place--but you need to think beyond that.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
It's hard to give you a good answer based on so little information. Here's what occurs to me:

1. You don't mention how old you are. I'm guessing you're still in your teens, which is not a good point to move alone to NYC.

2. You don't mention school, therefore I assume you haven't got a college degree. You'd be competing here with all the new college grads flooding into NYC.

3. You don't mention any work experience, therefore I'm guessing you have no skills. NYC is not a good place to come if you have no work skills. I'm guessing this also means you have no money saved. Another bad point.

4. In my experience, mothers often tend to be right most of the time.

I suggest you start by moving out and finding a place in your hometown. Re-visit the NYC idea after you've saved up several thousand dollars.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:17 PM

34 posts, read 48,467 times
The streets of NYC and many other major cities are littered with people with the same big dreams. You might want to do a little research if your looking for a place where "the warm morning breeze cut through the blinds."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City