Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 30,422 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be moving to NYC for 1 year starting this July 2013. My work is half a mile down the 5th Ave and they have offered me subsidized housing at the Heritage apt complex on 5th Ave at the aforementioned cross streets.
My job will require me to get back home late (~10pm to sometimes even after midnight). I plan on walking up/down 5th ave to and from work, probably will start taking the bus once it gets really cold.

I would appreciate locals view regarding safety of the neighborhood near the Heritage or if anyone has actual knowledge regarding the Heritage apt complex itself.

From doing some research I realize going further north or east would be walking into more questionable neighborhoods. My girlfriend will be moving with me and I just want to get a sense of the safety concerns and if some of the locals would recommend looking at other location for housing.

One other option is looking for housing further south in the mid-high 90s between 5th ave and park avenue. Safe assumption the rent will be higher (perhaps $300-700 more per month).

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

JS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackingsleep View Post
One other option is looking for housing further south in the mid-high 90s between 5th ave and park avenue. Safe assumption the rent will be higher (perhaps $300-700 more per month).

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

JS
This is NOT an option. Search "Carnegie Hill", and see if you have enough $$$$$$ to live there.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
If the subsidy is a good one, you have it made.
Am I thinking of the correct building, the new one atop the Museum of African Art. With Park access and the lake right at your feet the first thing you'll want to do is hop on a bike and loop Central Park.

The walk down Fifth Avenue (can I presume to Mt. Sinai) will be safe at all hours. Every building has a doorman peeking out and all potential miscreants know this.

If you look for anything SOUTH along Park, Madison, or Fifth that is NOT subsidzed by an employer you will be BLINDED by the rents/sales prices. These are the some of the priciest neighborhoods on Earth.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,034 times
"across 110th street, pimps try to catch a woman that's weak..."

Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Kefir King,

I'm not sure about the museum, I'm actually out of state and have not visited the property yet. The Heritage is part of two tall tower apt complex exactly at the north east corner of the central park (110 w & 5th ave).

The subsidized price is pretty good. 1890 for a studio. Yes you are correct about the Mt.Sinai work location and yes I will be mainly walking down & up 5th ave. You are also correct regarding the rise in pricing as you go south, I would easily be paying more per month as well as this broker fee some nyc locations require.

We are aware from online research that going further north on the 5th from the aforementioned cross street or going further east would place us a more shadier neighborhood if you will.

I will be spending some 90% of my time at the hospital. Most of her outside activities will take place during daytime. She will not be staying out late by herself. I just wanted to make sure the neighborhood is safe enough for both of us to get through the year without major regrets.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Though both buildings will work for you, it is the 1280 Fifth Ave address that is LUXE.
That's the one atop the museum and is on the right in the picture.
The other is okay, actually quite attractive.
And both have the same short walk to the hospital.

I hope the two of you don't have to tolerate a studio apartment for too long.

(And I hope you get a park view.)

Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 AM

I'm pretty sure its the one on the left. As long as it is safe that is all that matters to me. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Take the apt, live here for a while if you hate it you can always move. If she's cute she may be cat called by the guys at the park but she should be fine.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Take the apt, live here for a while if you hate it you can always move. If she's cute she may be cat called by the guys at the park but she should be fine.
True. Cat calling happens in these neighborhoods but it doesn't mean that every chick gets cat called. I remember once when a female walked past a group of older men sitting on chairs in front of a building. These old men stood up and applauded.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:49 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
True. Cat calling happens in these neighborhoods but it doesn't mean that every chick gets cat called. I remember once when a female walked past a group of older men sitting on chairs in front of a building. These old men stood up and applauded.
Haha, that's hilarious why do I have a vivid image of this in my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City