Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,611,489 times

Advertisements

The only appeal (not to me, mind you) is the novelty of seeing a celebrity sleeping close-up. I'm pretty sure that's all it is, whatever she may say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM

863 posts, read 1,126,145 times
Hipsters...that is all.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,193,711 times
I don't really get it either...I like art but this is not my cup of tea.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM

28 posts, read 31,849 times
This shuiet puts me to sleep.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM

15,590 posts, read 10,330,527 times
I think the "art" of this celebrity sleeping is more about the people who take time to go see her rather than the "performance" of the actress sleeping.

It is interesting to me that museum visitors would take up their valuable time, in a museum filled with amazing works of art, to go see a celebrity doing nothing, just because Tilda is famous. This performance art reflects our culture's fascination with famous people, imo, even if they are obviously doing nothing. People who attend events with the Kardashian family, just to catch a glimpse of them, even though they have no talent comes to mind.

What would surprise me is if any New Yorkers go see this performance art. New Yorkers see celebs often and usually couldn't give a flip.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,059,470 times
This reminds me of the Andy Warhol movie "Sleep". It was about 16 hours long and just showed some guy sleeping. Not much action. I think the guy rolled over once or twice.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM

393 posts, read 781,035 times
You people are so dense it's embarrassing. Sleep represents the purity of the human soul because it is the only time when you are your true self because you are freed from the chains of our corporate society.

This piece is quite thought-provoking but definitely not as good as the 2011 Brooklyn masterpiece, "The Birth of Baby X" Brooklyn Performance Artist Gives Birth in Art Gallery | NBC New York I spent my life savings for the VIP tickets to that one. The placenta was SO inspiring.

Currently, I'm working on a piece that involves the intricate process of washing my ironic Brooklyn beard. I'm brave enough to put the whole ritual on display, from removing leftover vegan crumbs (with my bare hands of course. I do not use mass-produced combs) to using a natural conditioning tonic manufactured in Peru from unpasteurized goat milk (please don't be alarmed...the goats are organic, raised exclusively by virginal country milkmaids).

The installation is called "The Taming of the Urban Beast" and it represents the washing away of all those ethnic cooties you pick up walking around in ungentrified neighborhoods. I hope to see you all there.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,197,037 times
^^^^I like your style haha

Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,563,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
You people are so dense it's embarrassing. Sleep represents the purity of the human soul because it is the only time when you are your true self because you are freed from the chains of our corporate society.

This piece is quite thought-provoking but definitely not as good as the 2011 Brooklyn masterpiece, "The Birth of Baby X" Brooklyn Performance Artist Gives Birth in Art Gallery | NBC New York I spent my life savings for the VIP tickets to that one. The placenta was SO inspiring.

Currently, I'm working on a piece that involves the intricate process of washing my ironic Brooklyn beard. I'm brave enough to put the whole ritual on display, from removing leftover vegan crumbs (with my bare hands of course. I do not use mass-produced combs) to using a natural conditioning tonic manufactured in Peru from unpasteurized goat milk (please don't be alarmed...the goats are organic, raised exclusively by virginal country milkmaids).

The installation is called "The Taming of the Urban Beast" and it represents the washing away of all those ethnic cooties you pick up walking around in ungentrified neighborhoods. I hope to see you all there.
Best thing I've read all day.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 AM

15,590 posts, read 10,330,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post

Hilarious! Thanks for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City