Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 AM

212 posts, read 1,003,719 times

Advertisements

Perhaps it's my career field (advertising) but I don't know anyone who gets out before 6:30p, and that includes people who DON'T take lunches. I typically leave the office around 7:30p on my best days, and I'm the type of person who eats lunch at my desk.

Do you work a steady 9-5?

Last edited by the_contrary; 03-26-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Perhaps it's my career field (advertising) but I don't know anyone who gets out before 6:30p, and that includes people who DON'T take lunches. I typically leave the office around 7:30p on my best days, and I'm the type of person who eats lunch at my desk.

Don't you see a lot of people on the subway at 5pm? I don't work 9-5, but yes, there are plenty of people who do. For starters, government offices typically close at 5pm, and civil service is a huge portion of the workforce in NY.

The private sector varies considerably, but yes, there are people who get off work before 6. As in plenty. They are pretty much open about the hours of the job before you accept it.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
The question is, do you like what you do and do you mind staying that late? If its all good, then it doesn't matter what time other people leave work.

I think you know there are plenty of people in the city that work 9-5 and take lunch. However, some come in at 7 or 8 and leave at 5. While others who make a big show about leaving at 7 actually arrive at 11am.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 AM

278 posts, read 546,589 times
I work 9-5 but i normally stay later to avoid the crowds also coming out of NY Presby at 5 lol

Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
I'm sure there are a lot of people that do, but I certainly don't and neither do any people I know. The only people I also know that work pretty "set" hours are my friends that are either nurses or doctors. Even then they often work past their "shift" to finish writing up patient notes, etc. My finance job forces me to be pretty flexible, some mornings coming in at 7am while still staying until 7pm or later. A normal day is about 8-6/7. My "worst" hours were during the financial crisis where I once worked 36 hours at the office before I could go home. My "best" hours are when I just take vacation or work from home and barely check in.

I've left at 5 before and definitely the subway is packed!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 AM

212 posts, read 1,003,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Don't you see a lot of people on the subway at 5pm?
Um, no, because I don't get out that early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The question is, do you like what you do and do you mind staying that late? If its all good, then it doesn't matter what time other people leave work.
I used to not mind working from 9a-7:30p, but lately it's been taking it's toll on me (hence the reason for this post). Some days I stay until 9p+ and I don't leave the office the entire day! I've had to cancel or show-up late to after work events with friends so many times now... hoping to get a job with more reasonable hours soon.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
I work 9 to 5. Judging by the packed trains I'm assuming a lot of NYers so also.

If you leave at 6:30 what time do you get to work?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Seems like there is a crush of people coming out of the 9-5 commute. The 9-5 commute is too crowded for my taste...I usually work 7:30-4pm which works better for me.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 AM

364 posts, read 708,343 times
I work 9 to 5 and some overtime on the weekends.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post

If you are ambitious, have a career (as opposed to a job), and are a *professional*, then no one in NYC/tri state works a straight 9 to 5. The city is simply too competitive, and to achieve above middle class status is THE standard, as opposed to out in Transplantland, where "executives", the "executive lifestyle", and upper middle class achievement is *rare*; and, middle class is the achievement standard.

When I moved South, FL, for a time I was shocked by this middle class mentality, and by the status (and marketing) of "executive" as true elitism. Here in the NYC area, executives are a dime a dozen, in Transplantland it is the mark of elitism. Also, everything was sooo 'pegged'. You went to school, got a degree (from an approved (good ole boy) institution, you got an "executive" position, and that was it, your career path is generally set and laid out.

In NYC, there is the same sort of thing, of course on a larger scale; BUT, the real difference is that anyone, generally, with the ambition *can* break out above any *prescribed* career path, and make great strides, quickly, in income and career.

Out in Transplantland, such quick ambitious fulfillment is not the norm. You take your ticket, punch it, and move at an established pace. Which isn't that bad, given low level "executives" live an above average, above middle class lifestyle. Status and lifestyle differences are far more definite and stark out in Transplantland. So, a 9 to SIX executive out in Transplantland can achieve a distinctive lifestyle difference w/o working too hard; and, based soley upon his degree achievement.

NYC presents so much more opportunity; for those who seek it and *take* it. The average degree *may* open a door or two, but other than that, it is NOT a lifestyle *guarantee*, as is most often found out in Transplantland. In NYC, it is that extra effort, that extra work *smart*, being in the right place at the the right time (which means being there *all* the time!), making and looking for opportunity IS the difference for most who *achieve* in NYC, and those who do not, or are just 'midlin' about.

Anyway, in NYC, it is only the unambitious, union workers, government workers, working mothers/wives, and under achievers who work a straight 9 to 5.

Everyone else, is busting their asses, contubuting in the game of 'beat the competition'! Competing for promotions, raises, and 5 or 6 figure bonuses!!

Most working straight 9 to 5, generally, have no such opportunity.

Also, and significantly, one difference in the present generation of Transplants, is the false notion that Transplantland *under achievement* can be transferred; transplanted; exists, in NYC in the same manner as out in Transplantland. That NYC is just a BIGGER, more vibrant version of Transplantland.

These folk NEVER comprehended that simply achieving middle class status in NYC, would require them to HUMP their asses!! They thought it w/b *simple* like back in Transplantland, where *degree* equals middle class, and a commensurate middle class (McMansion like) lifestyle.

The *schock* of NYC's reality is kicking a lot of such Transplant butt! Ten and 12 hour days, 5 or 6 days per week of butt humping, and I still can't afford my own place (not in a ghetto!)! They never imagined such, it was never this hard, back in Transplantland!

Well, Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore!

You want it, go out and get it. Of course, you could go join a Union!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City